Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Ideas On How To Get Ride Of House Flies....??

Options
  • 29-07-2010 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

:mad:I have tried the usual techniques in trying to get to grips with this worsening problem does anyone have any ideas to help get rid of our houseflies as cheaply and effectivly as possible......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Consumer issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Dont try to ride them is a good start. :p

Bug Zapper Adli have will kill them. They are a pain, my house is full of them recently..... well not full but 4 or 5 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Get rid of any rubbish bins from near the house and every day open a few windows for an hour or two which should keep the air fresh which seems to keep flies at bay.

Do you have a food recycling bin? These are the main source of files around houses as they are usually only emptied every two weeks by which time they stink and are breeding thousands of flies! I would get rid of it and just bin your food waste and get a composter for leftover RAW vegetables grass clippings etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kukori

:mad:I have tried the usual techniques in trying to get to grips with this worsening problem does anyone have any ideas to help get rid of our houseflies as cheaply and effectivly as possible......

WD-40, seriously. As they breathe air trough their body, any oil (petroleum) based spray will cause death in 5 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

We use Raid which is good and kills them after a minute or two.

We also use 'Coopers Fly Spray', it's the best we've ever used. It kills them instantly. Unfortunately Coopers is gone off the market now, has been off the market for years (in Ireland anyway, not sure about anywhere else), we got ours from a family friends who found it in her shed, she didn't want it, so gave it to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Don't leave windows open and lights turned on (in the same room) at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,093 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If there are a lot of them, for no obvious reason, there could be dead rodents, birds, or whatever, somewhere inside the property.

..or a dead granny under the floor-boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I got an electric fly swatter, it may not be the most humane way to deal with the problem but it can be kinda fun. I'm not sure what this says about me as a person, but I like to leave a window or door open when I'm going after the fly, just doesn't seem like good sportsmanship to not to give him a chance of winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Not leaving stuff about that would attract them would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

try cleaning ur damn house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Chopsticks......makes it fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

delllat wrote: »
    try cleaning ur damn house
    Just because someone has flies in the house, doesn't mean the house is dirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Just make sure you keep the toilet flushed at all times and the led kept down. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,606 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are using fly spray, close windows, give a really good spray into the room then close the door and stay out for a while (15 - 20 mins?). Then go in and open the window.

Uses less spray, is better for you and is easier than trying to zap individual flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Animal and Pet Issues

dudara

Advertisement