Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric Window Regulator Cable

• 30-07-2010 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi. I'm going about repairing my window regulators in a 1999 Hyundai Accent. It seems the motors are fine, but the cables in the mechanism snapped. I've been looking online for possible fixes using bicycle brake/gear cable.

I'm wondering does anyone have any experience in fixing it this way, or if not, any suggestion on where to get a new cable... or maybe even the entire regulator?? If I'm going to buy an entire mechanism I'd rather not be spending over €100 for both passenger and driver sides.

Any help, greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I can get them from a Hyundai Dealer for €130 for the pair without motors. I'm going to ring the breaker yard in Dun Laoghaire now and see if they have anything.

EDIT: I can get both of them for around the same price but with the motors attached, from the scrap yard.

What should I go for?

__

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭shanemc1

Repairing window regulators this way is a bad idea. All pulleys a guides do need to be replaced if your doing this. It is also very hard to fit cables as they have to be guitar string tight without the use of any kind of adjustable tensioner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would get the pair new for €130 tbh. Not a bad price at all.
    At least that way, they will more than likely see out the life of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

mickdw wrote: »
    I would get the pair new for €130 tbh. Not a bad price at all.
    At least that way, they will more than likely see out the life of the car.

Yeah, I'm thinking of going for the new ones, but I'm dreading the motors I have aren't in as good shape as I think they are, and it'll end up costing me alot.

My plan at the moment is to get the new ones from the dealer, try them out, if they work... great, but if I find the motors work but just aren't up to the job anymore, I'll try bring them back to the dealer, and get the full new mechanism and motor set from the scrap yard.

I just hope the original motors will be alright...

Egyptian wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm thinking of going for the new ones, but I'm dreading the motors I have aren't in as good shape as I think they are, and it'll end up costing me alot.

My plan at the moment is to get the new ones from the dealer, try them out, if they work... great, but if I find the motors work but just aren't up to the job anymore, I'll try bring them back to the dealer, and get the full new mechanism and motor set from the scrap yard.

I just hope the original motors will be alright...

Well if not 100% sure of the motors, perhaps the scrap yard option is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

I'd buy new ones tbh, it's a common fault with them and you'll be only changing them again in a month or so again if you fit secondhand ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭hellyeah

try micksgarage.ie for a price. bought new regulator for a focus with motor and postage for 130euro. nasty job fitting these. good luck

They are not a bad job to do typically. Sure, with all the chewed cables it looks like a nightmare but when all the crap is pulled out, it looks alot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

UPDATE: Well I decided to go down to the scrapyard and get the ones with the motors attached. They both work fine now, and I have two spare motors if ever I need them. I also picked up a few other bits and bobs that I could really only have got down there, so all in all, happy with the turn out.

Advertisement