Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help choose the lens

• 30-07-2010 4:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I have canon 500d and it's time for me to upgrade from the kit lens.

I am trying to choose between canon 17-55 2.8, tamron 17-50 (both with shake reduction and without) and sigma 17-50,

Money is a bit of a issue, canon alternatives are a lot cheaper. But I am not sure about the quality.

I am kind of thinking about tamron 17-50 with VR.

Can anyone advise?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think you need to supply a bit more information in order to get useful advice from people here.

Where is the Kit Lens limiting you?

It would seem that you are looking at lenses with a similar focal range to the Kit Lens, which would seem to suggest that you are looking for faster glass & to add IS into the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭php-fox

I am looking for a good every day use lens. I do a lot of night photography and indoor. My kit lens is not fast enough to take good picture in low light conditions.

Taking about the IS, I am not sure if I need it. I guess I do, since I do a lot of pictures hand held.

I really looking to just make a step up, get better equipment and try to improve my skills. I feel like I am being limited by the kit lens. On the other hand, I am not sure if I need to spend a thousand on Canon 17-55, and I am not sure if Tamron or sigma would provide me with adequate quality...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you want to get some faster glass on a budget, maybe you should consider a nifty fifty (a 50mm f1.8) These lenses are the cheapest you will buy & very useful. It will get you used to shooting with fast glass and let you learn about narrow depth of field. They are good for low light and very sharp. The only downside is that 50mm on a cropped sensor can be a bit long for some general use.

This way you still have use of your Kit Lens but will also have the Nifty Fifty as an addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

What you are considering buying are all much in the same range as the kit lens. You might consider going for further length as you already have the 18-55 range covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I was going to suggest a 50mm as well, Caban speaks the truth :)

Zoom with your feet!

H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

php-fox wrote: »
    I am looking for a good every day use lens. I do a lot of night photography and indoor. My kit lens is not fast enough to take good picture in low light conditions.

Taking about the IS, I am not sure if I need it. I guess I do, since I do a lot of pictures hand held.

I really looking to just make a step up, get better equipment and try to improve my skills. I feel like I am being limited by the kit lens. On the other hand, I am not sure if I need to spend a thousand on Canon 17-55, and I am not sure if Tamron or sigma would provide me with adequate quality...

Aside from the issue regarding low light, I am not sure how you are being limited by your kit lens and given that lack of information it's hard to make a call on what you mean by adequate quality. For example I shoot mainly with Sigma lenses, and not especially fast ones as well but that doesn't stop my photographs getting published widely.

If speed + budget are an issue and you feel you can cope with the prime I would second the 50mm.

If however range is the issue then I think you probably should not currently get another lens.

Advertisement