Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato plants in the compost heap.

Options
  • 30-07-2010 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭

I read somewhere in passing that I should not put harvested potato plants on the compost heap. I can only assume this is to prevent disease from spreading to a future potato crop.
    So, a couple of questions:
    Based on my assumption of preventing disease is it possible to compost potato plants for flowerbeds that are not (nor ever going to be) used for potatoes?
    My second question is to ask if there are any other common plants that should not be put into the compost heaps?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

unless your compost heap gets very hot the only thing you will get is more potato plants,same applies for potato peelings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Its not just the disease risk, plants have the ability to grow from any cell. So if your compost heap fails to reach sufficient temperature to pasturise the potato/potato peels that you added to it your flower bed could be full of wild potatoes next year. Remember the definition of a weed is a plant growing were you dont want it to.

Advertisement