Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are we not concerned about eating free range pork?

Options
  • 30-07-2010 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Having been eating free range chicken for a while, I began recently to wonder why in Ireland we see to be so unconscious of or uncaring about the conditions in which pigs tend to be kept. I found out recently that 90% of pigs bred for the market in Ireland are reared inside big concrete sheds, are tightly packed and without access to open, daylight or ground to root.
    I also discovered that it is extremely difficult to source free range pork in Ireland, although I did manage to do so after some searching. When I asked my local butcher why he didn't offer free range pork as well as chicken he said that there was no demand for it. So, I guess my question is why??? Why are we, as consumers, apparently worried about chickens' welfare but not about that of pigs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I completely agree! I wrote to the Supermarket head offices recently asking this question but not a response.

I've found a brand of organic rashers on sale in some of the Supervalus occasionally, but never have I seen free range/organic pork or sausages for sale anywhere outside of farmers markets.

Its really disgusting what poor pigs have to go through - especially considering how intelligent they are compared to chickens - I think its much worse torture for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

It must be torturous for such intelligent animals to be cooped up day and night. You did right to write to the supermarket head offices to raise the issue; like Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall did, it is only if we raise awareness that something might be done!
    There is a great butcher in Kanturk that does beautiful free range pork (all his meat is free range), and will deliver it in a fridge van within two days of ordering it online too! We have been using him recently for all our meat, as if you wait until the freezer is empty you can order enough meat for several months and get free delivery too. The amazing thing is that his meat is not more expensive than the supermarkets, and is absolute top quality.
    So it can be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I'd imagine it's easier & more profitable to keep them housed in large sheds with little room to move.
    Pigs are actually quite nice, I've come across one or two that were dangerous but overall they are very clever & cute animals.

Hopefully conditions for pigs will change soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I can't understand this either. Ireland has pretty poor standards for pigs. Free range chickens are great and all, but pigs are really intelligent animals and to put it bluntly - would be more aware of their surroundings.

And my interest in pig welfare is not just altruistic, a happy pig is a tastier pig.

Our beef is some of the best in the world - in part due to their conditions. Why can't we extend this to pork!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Jelly2 wrote: »
    I also discovered that it is extremely difficult to source free range pork in Ireland
    This is mainly the reason i dont eat free range pork. Its soooo difficult to find. Id eat free range all the time tbh honest if it was easier to source.

I agree pigs have one of the worst lives of all farm animals. Theyre incredibly intelligent and lead horrible lives until slaughter. I worked on a pig farm in Germany when i was in college and my god the poor creatures. It was run by an Irish man who exported some of the meat back here. Cramped pens, no natural daylight,piglet castration with no sedation or pain relief...i could go on!

If anyone knows where theres a regular supply of FR pork products let us know!

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    This is mainly the reason i dont eat free range pork. Its soooo difficult to find. Id eat free range all the time tbh honest if it was easier to source.

I agree pigs have one of the worst lives of all farm animals. Theyre incredibly intelligent and lead horrible lives until slaughter. I worked on a pig farm in Germany when i was in college and my god the poor creatures. It was run by an Irish man who exported some of the meat back here. Cramped pens, no natural daylight,piglet castration with no sedation or pain relief...i could go on!

If anyone knows where theres a regular supply of FR pork products let us know!

That sounds absolutely horrible, even worse than I imagined. I have no reason to assume that conditions are any better in Ireland.
    The butcher that I use for free range pork is www.jackmcarthy.ie - we usually wait until our freezer is near empty, then do an online order because orders over E100 get free delivery. I have no reason to plug this butcher, beyond praising him for his dedication to free range meat, but the prices are very competitive, and the meat is absolutely great - real artisan produce (prize winning, I think), and so much more satisfying in taste and for conscience too. Oh, they deliver within two days of ordering using a chiller van, in case you're wondering! In my experience, the meat is very well packed, and you can talk to the butcher himself by phone if you have any questions.
    I've been praising the meat so much that one of my friends is interested in doing a joint order next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Scoffeymonster

Excellent post Jelly2, I would be completely in agreement with you!
    We have so much land in this country, why not keep pigs in fields? They can't fly away! they could be kept the exact same way as sheep or cows. And pork is used in so many different products, from bacon to salami....the opportunities for a profitable business are endless!

So true. I know there are a few producers in Wicklow trying to do this; they will keep a piglet for you for six months, then kill it and prepare the cuts for you. That doesn't suit us at the moment, so our butcher is a good alternative.
    This seems to be a long term problem in Ireland; I have only a few memories of seeing pigs outdoors in Ireland over the years, and my partner (from abroad) is always surprised that we don't do it more. I suppose pigs cut up fields, but rotation would sort that out surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Just had a look at Jack McCarthys website. In fairness hes really reasonable-€3.40 for dry cured rashers. You'd easily spend more in a Centra or Spar for measly slivers of non free range ones.

If anyone is interested in going halves on a delivery to Dublin let me know :D or if we can order over €100 its free.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Just had a look at Jack McCarthys website. In fairness hes really reasonable-€3.40 for dry cured rashers. You'd easily spend more in a Centra or Spar for measly slivers of non free range ones.

If anyone is interested in going halves on a delivery to Dublin let me know :D or if we can order over €100 its free.

And I can confirm, Anniehoo, that they are the meatiest rashers ever! We could hardly believe it when we first tasted them.
    If you do an order, you will be amazed at how much meat you get for your money. The chicken fillets are huge.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This seems to be a long term problem in Ireland; I have only a few memories of seeing pigs outdoors in Ireland over the years, and my partner (from abroad) is always surprised that we don't do it more. I suppose pigs cut up fields, but rotation would sort that out surely?
    Just driving anywhere through England these days you'll see plenty of them.. large open fields with shelters for the pigs, like this http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/92726

Alun wrote: »
    Just driving anywhere through England these days you'll see plenty of them.. large open fields with shelters for the pigs, like this http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/92726

Wow, no wonder my partner is mystified about why Irish farmers are not getting in on this act!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Excellent post Jelly2, I would be completely in agreement with you!
    We have so much land in this country, why not keep pigs in fields? They can't fly away! they could be kept the exact same way as sheep or cows. And pork is used in so many different products, from bacon to salami....the opportunities for a profitable business are endless!

Or rear one in the back yard of every council house, just like we used to before ~ happy times ~ it smelt a bit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I was going to post the same thing.
    I don't buy any pork at all though, so I can't affect the demand for free-range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I've travelled quite alot through Europe on train and am always amazed why they have so many pigs roaming the countryside and in orchards etc. Its no wonder pork tastes so much better there. I am all for keeping pigs in the open but it should be in wooded areas, orchards etc where the diet will add to the taste of the pork.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I've travelled quite alot through Europe on train and am always amazed why they have so many pigs roaming the countryside and in orchards etc. Its no wonder pork tastes so much better there. I am all fore keeping pigs in the open but it should be in wooded areas, orchards etc where the diet will add to the taste of the pork.

When I was on holiday in Sardinia recently, it was very noticeable! We saw sows and piglets wandering freely through a wooded area as we drove inland, and the results were on the tables of the the farm/restaurant at which we stopped for lunch. Gorgeous. We need to wake up! How can the benefits of free range pork be publicised, and people convinced to try it??? Boards is a start, but there must be more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Absolutely. Irish people we pay more if the quality is there. Just visit Avoca Handweavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

Great thread! I've been a veggie for the last 18 years but have recently started to eat line-caught fish. Myself & partner intend on raising our own animals someday soon so I will try more meat then. I would love to try rashers again - the only smell that I loved as a veggie!

My brother lived in Terenure for a year and always bought free-range pork from this guy http://www.organicfoodsireland.com/index.php?page=about - he raved about the wild boar sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

We need to wake up! How can the benefits of free range pork be publicised, and people convinced to try it??? Boards is a start, but there must be more...

I'd love to start a campaign!!! :D But its 5 pm on a Bank Holiday Friday so I'm not going to. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Pigs will root through a field and completely wreck, this would take months to heal and probably need seeding/rolling. Mega damage if it went through a crop field! Fencing could be an issue I suppose the pigs could have a ring put through the nose. Do they still do this?

It also depends on breed, some are hardier than others and the more commercial ones produce much more leaner meat than some of the more traditional breeds which has a lot more fat. Consumer demand has gone towards lean meat even it is the fat that gives the meat its flavour and helps keep it moist.

I can imagine pigs kept on hills in the same way as sheep quickly turning feral and causing trouble.

I'm all for free range meat, it really is a stroke of luck that we have the climate to keep bovines out for most of the year.

Perhaps some posters from the forestry/farming forum can contribute to this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As long as the fencing is good and sturdy I don't see an issue. If you see any of the big free range pig farms in England they're usually a mess .. hardly a blade of grass to be seen, but the pigs don't seem to mind.

As an aside, talking about 'feral' pigs, in the New Forest in southern England, the commoners release pigs into the forest to get at the acorns and beechnuts when they fall in the autumn. It can be a bit disconcerting to be out for a stroll and suddenly be confronted by a herd of snuffling, snorting pigs. They get rounded up every day and brought back to the smallholdings in the forest though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Forest#Common_rights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hellfirepigs

I find it funny that quite a few people will praise the virtues of freerange pork and complain that they cant get hold of it and yet apparently do absolutely nothing about it. Its is out there if you are bothered to look.
    I breed freerange pigs in south Dublin and sell pork but have had to struggle to find customers despite all the talk!!
    C'mon guys, its worth it!!
    hellfirepigs.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

last year i kept 2 pigs during the summer free range around the house, you dont need a huge amount of ground. it was the best pork, sausages and ham iv ever had, didnt do it this year as i have a few lambs for the freezer, anyone with abit of ground should keep a few pigs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

And from driving through those areas you'll know that the smell is absolutely horrendous. Air quality and planning regulations are probably whats preventing large scale operations like this. That and demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I stopped eating pork and chicken last year over the very same concerns. Don't miss it at all any longer. Don't eat beef or venison any more either. If you're really that concerned about the welfare of these animals it's not that difficult to remove yourself from their production. This is not a lecture either, people must do as they want, but for me it was the sensible choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If you're really that concerned about the welfare of these animals it's not that difficult to remove yourself from their production.
    +1

(and it's cheaper too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

anyone familiar with halal meats?

Advertisement