Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy Town Council Discussion

Options
  • 30-07-2010 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

I once thought that the Wexford boards were 'sad' and not much activity...but hands up, I was wrong. It's just that the discussions are in the wrong threads! There's a rant going on about the Councillors in Enniscorthy, A thread within the Strawberry Fair dying about a recent event. So I decided to sort it out and here is a NEW Thread for a rant sorry, discussion on the purpose and activities of Councillors and I suppose in particular Enniscorthy Town Council. This will (should) help them focus on issues pertaining to them.
    Bearhunter wrote: »
    I wish I was still living there...
    Really?! Are things that bad out there? :D

D'ye know what would be great...a live web cast from the council chamber during there meetings. Now there's progressive thinking. I bet instead of just turning up and regurgitating issues from previous meetings they would have done their homework and prepared for the meeting. The usual scenario: "Well John did you find out about xxxx?" Reply John: "Eerrm, he wasn't in when I rang, but I did leave a message. Sure we can leave it 'til the next meeting" Would be replaced with new scenario: Chairperson: "Well, John, did you find out about xxxx?" Reply John (feck the cameras are on me now!) "Yes, Chairperson, I rang but there was no answer, so I went to the house and got the information required to resolve the issue". Chairperson: Well done John! Next action issue
    please...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

you said it mate ps. nice user name hehe :p:D :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

The poor divils; sure 'tis no wonder things are gone haywire! We've got a group of leaders (Councillors) worrying about the mundane day to day tasks that the people they employ should have under control so they can't see the bigger picture they're so bogged down. Solution; kick ass and get back to the plan i.e. getting all groups together and focus on how to get Enniscorthy on the map.

Councillors address myriad of problems (The Echo)

COMPLAINTS on a large number of matters requiring attention were aired at the recent meeting of the Town Council in Enniscorthy, and these included: Broken-down fence at Sean Browne Court/Crescent; Poor water supply at St. Senan’s old graveyard; Bad condition of back lanes in The Shannon area (notably Gimont Avenue and Fr. Murphy Park); antisocial behaviour and dumping problems at The Folly; Clean up required at Mill Park Road-The Prom right-of-way lane (Cllr. Sean Doyle).

Broken footpaths in Slaney View Park and Templeshannon areas (Cllr. James Browne).

Rubbish dumping at The Folly; Line markings required at pedestrian crossing at Lymington Rd.; Tidying up (and possible flower arrangement) sought for roundabout at Lidl/Aldi; Design of St. John’s St. car park (Cllr. Keith Doyle).

‘Disgraceful and dangerous’ appearance of old playground (it’s more like a building site) at Sean Browne Crescent; Bad condition of lane in same area; Accident-waiting to happen via protruding railings at The Fairgreen, Nunnery Road; Blocked shore at Duffry Gate; ‘Eyesore/like a jungle’ forest of trees at Springvalley; Traffic calming ramp sought for Patrick St. (Cllr. Jackser Owens).
    Support call for ramps in and yellow traffic box at bottom of Patrick St.; Continued traffic danger at Ross Road; ‘Lethal’ potholes at Pig Market Hill and Lr. Ross Rd. (Cllr. John O’Rourke).

Clean up or replace large bushes at Fairgreen/Nunnery Rd. (Cllr. Johnny Mythen).

The now-legendary unsightly silver pole at bottom of Shannon Hill; Directional ‘Vinegar Hill’ sign at Railway Square; Manhole problems at Castle Hill, and at CWCW entrance at Bellefield Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Add to the list-Resurface road from CWCW to junction of Bellfield/Patrick Street.
    Resurface road at Hempfield before somebody is killed.Start the much vaunted brightening up of the town.Get the drains around town cleared out before the Winter.Clearer signage at approaches to Seamus Rafter Bridge from Wexford (obviously YIELD has no meaning to some people) Esmonde Road to Springvalley disintegrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Odd that the council should suddenly start discussing this now. After all, it's clearly taken a fair while for this amount of work to build up. Of course, it would have nothing at all to do with people on, say, a website complaining about how effing useless they are, would it? As useful as tits on a bull the lot of them. Far too little too late.

It seems somebody is taking our points on board,how come it takes so long to act on even the most minor task.Having worked in construction for some years,if we carried on the way the council run things nothing would be done.It was simple-something needed doing we did it and onto the next job,no meetings to discuss it and eventually start 6 months later.We could dig up a damaged footpath and have it replaced within an hour,how long would it take the council? It seems the attitude is to get as long as possible out of a job to give the impression of work.
    middlemanagement.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Resurface road at Hempfield before somebody is killed
    The road surface from Hempfield out to about the location of (the now closed) Vingar Hill Golf Course is in absolute tatters.

The council dug this road up a while back and put a shítty surface back down in to provide pipes to a large field that was set to be another housing estate.

Now what I can't for the love of me understand is why the f*ck do the council grant planning permission for a huge housing estate, f*ck up an already poor surface and then expect a few hundred extra cars to use the now even more botched up road surface?

Fortunately the housing estate was scrapped as the recession kicked in and nothing else happened other than clearing the site.

The surface improves for a bit after the Golf Course and then when you reach Corbally bridge it's back to absolute tatters out as far as Coolgarrow Lane.

I have to drive this road just about everyday... come winter it's absolutely lethal in parts. And who's to say we won't have another winter like the one past? In the case of the road from Hempfield out the Council are actually largely part of the problem with this road surface.

I just can't understand how the Council haven't the kop on to say "OK, if there's going to be an expansion in the number of houses we need to look at the suitability of the key roads".

Same applies to The Moyne/Greenville lane and out The Milehouse Road.

I'm going to have a word with Councillor John O'Rourke next time I see him up at the Shamrocks pitch and I'll be sure and direct him to the Wexford forum.

We've got a group of leaders (Councillors) worrying about the mundane day to day tasks that the people they employ should have under control so they can't see the bigger picture they're so bogged down

Aye... it's sort of sad that they have a room full of councillors having a meeting to discuss a pothole at location X, a broken footpath at location Y and the requirement for some tree trimming at location Z.

I mean this is general maintenance stuff... you don't need a room full of councillors to point out locations where general maintenance is required... we could do that here on Boards FFS.

I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, it definitely should, but surely you could have a smaller committee for the day to day stuff... I mean do the council need to be told where to fill a pothole or can they not figure it out for themselves? Every pothole should be properly filled, all footpaths should be fit for purpose, all areas that require gardening should be well kept etc.

Jaxer's speciality seems to be the speed bumps... the philosphy seems to be "turn the whole town into a course of speed bumps" so's to curb the habits of the 1% of morons who can't respect speed limits and general road safety guidelines.

It's just ridiculous...

Jaxer's speciality seems to be the speed bumps... the philosphy seems to be "turn the whole town into a course of speed bumps" so's to curb the habits of the 1% of morons who can't respect speed limits and general road safety guidelines.
    Maybe the plan for Hempfield is that the road is in such a state it helps slow down traffic:D Jaxer himself was involved in an incident on that stretch of road due to the state of it and still nothing done.Half of Bunclody was dug up to lay pipes and the contractor relaid the road to a better standard than what it was originally in.BTW it was the same contractor that did the job at Hempfield. If half the tar used for Jaxers speed humps was used to properly do the roads around town they'd be better than the Autobahns in Germany.
    I see another token few shovels of the stuff used again at Bellfield,thats twice since Tuesday.

Well said JPB1974; you've reiterated my point. Where's the town planner? County Engineer (note capital 'E', you wouldn't believe the yes sir, no sir and hierarchy that exits in these institutions still - real 1930's-40's culture); and all their minions? There are people employed with our taxes, NOT VOLUNTARY, to carry out these tasks.
    The should take a leaf out of Herbert's book and get down into that hole and do what has to done (what they're paid to do). [And there's poor Herbert extracting a WWII nuclear warhead from an unexploded missile]
    It sounds like these officials and employees need motivation but the Council don't have the cojones to expedite their control; probably afraid if they did that there would be a go-slow and nothing would be done.
    Wait! Sure that's the way it is now!!!

Where's the town planner? County Engineer (note capital 'E', you wouldn't believe the yes sir, no sir and hierarchy that exits in these institutions still - real 1930's-40's culture); and all their minions?

Something tells me it doesn't matter where they are because they are either:

(a) totally incompetent at what they do
    (b) don't give a flying phuck and just want the handy route to their wages i.e. the 'lean on your shovel' approach
    or
    (c) are caught up in a political type system/hierarchy where even if you did care the system phucks up everything and wears you down (ie. you end up at point b)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

Before I discovered "boards" I thought my wife and myself were the only people that moaned about the towns council and their archaic backwards ways of going about things............but behold.........I am Soooo happy that we are not the only people with these thoughts, ( I was beginning to see myself on "grumpy old men"!).

You know, you are all correct in your writings, the council do not want to spend money on Enniscorthy,...or it's people. The only time they will do something is when a person/s are killed, they are being sued, the media is highlighting them, or a trip abroad is on the cards. And even when they do something, it's half-hearted. Remember the time they put red lines at the bend by St.Aidens school due to a gard dying from a car incident........the lines didn't last long did they? I also saw 4 council workers walking around the cemetary area on Friday picking litter, had nothing to do with the pattern though...did it? The road between the gaa pitch and maxol station has been that way since I can remember, drivers going into town nearly on the opposite side of the road to avoid the crappy road surface.

The Enniscorthy town council are totally INADEQUATE to run any works or plans in Enniscorthy. We are paying their wages, so we are their employer....so I vote that they are SACKED, ......with no pension! Muppets!! the lot of them.:p

Full Story in this weeks Enniscorthy Echo Quote:
    €900k earned by councillors

ALMOST €900,000 was earned by Wexford county councillors in 2009.
    "For what?"

It has emerged that the earnings of many of our part-time politicians outstrip the industrial wage.

In Wexford, district county councillors pocketed €366,197. In New Ross the total came to €195,052, while Gorey was €151,605, with €176,889 earned in Enniscorthy.

This comes to €889,743, (up €114,000 from earnings in 2008). The earnings do not take into account tax paid by councillors and retirement gratuities.

In the Wexford district the highest earner in 2009 was Leo Carthy at €64,085. This sum includes a gratuity payment of over €50,000 for decades of service to the county.

The county’s highest earner was Jimmy Curtis from the New Ross area who pocketed €65,123, including a retirement gratuity of over €50,000 for his service to the council down through the years.

In Enniscorthy former council chairman Peter Byrne received the highest at €43,390.

Advertisement