Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving iTunes to a new PC from Mac

Options
  • 30-07-2010 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm really hoping some of you guys might be able to assist me here.

Ok, heres the jist. Got my iPhone4 this morning, delighted with myself. Rushed home and opened up my macbook. Backed up my iPhone3GS and once done did all the necessaries to get my iPhone4 pre-prepared. Plugged it into the MacBook and NOOOOOOOOOOO! A message popped up to say I needed to be on Mac OSX 10.8.5 or higher! I'm on 10.4! I know, ancient but I have never needed to upgrade and I've got the laptop since 2006 and its been a dream (if its not broke dont fix it!)

So, now I'm not in a position to buy a new MacBook for the moment so need to setup iTunes on my Netbook (WindowsXP SP3). Obviously, this means I need to transfer everything including iPhone backups etc etc to my Netbook.

Well thats where I need the help. What is the most straight forward way of going about that!

Many thanks in advance for any help received.

Rgds

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

I assume you mean 10.5.5, since they're only just on 10.6.4 right now. If you have an Intel machine then go down to your friendly neighbourhood Apple shop and pick up Snow Leopard for €29 and install. I've heard it will work on 10.4 systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FatBeard

Hi all,
    A message popped up to say I needed to be on Mac OSX 10.8.5 or higher! I'm on 10.4! I know, ancient but I have never needed to upgrade and I've got the laptop since 2006 and its been a dream (if its not broke dont fix it!)

The apple website says you need atleast OSX 10.5.8 which is Leopard. There shouldn't be a problem installing this on your 2006 mac, even if it's a non-Intel mac. You should be be able to pick up a cheap copy of it on Adverts maybe.

rivalius13 wrote: »
    I assume you mean 10.5.5, since they're only just on 10.6.4 right now. If you have an Intel machine then go down to your friendly neighbourhood Apple shop and pick up Snow Leopard for €29 and install. I've heard it will work on 10.4 systems.

rivalius got in before me. Ya, if your mac will work with snow leopard thats the best and cheapest job. Otherwise you'll need Leopard.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Hi guys

The replys are great so far thanks a mill.

Do ye think I'd pick up snow leopard in PC World?

Rgds

Paul

I got my copy in HMV if thats any good to you. Should be common enough. Don't pay more than 30 for it though.

• Advertisement

Guys,

This is great. Thanks a million.

HMV in Newbridge don't have any so I'll try my luck with Harvey Norman or PC World in Naas.

So, dare I ask, any horrer stories when doing the upgrade?

Rgds

Paul

Guys,

This is great. Thanks a million.

HMV in Newbridge don't have any so I'll try my luck with Harvey Norman or PC World in Naas.

So, dare I ask, any horrer stories when doing the upgrade?

Rgds

Paul

I installed it on two Leopard machines without a hitch, I never went from Tiger but I've heard it's all fine and dandy as well.

Lads this is all excellent feedback and I'm really greatful.

Thanks a million.

Rgds

Paul

Hi guys,

Success! Well, step 1 anyway. Got the Snow Leopard (10.6.3) disc in PC World in Naas for €29.98.

So now, few q's.

- Will a simple file backup as a 'just in case' be sufficient?
    - Is this an upgrade disc?
    - Will it wipe my HD or simply, 'upgrade' the O/S?

Anything else I need to watch for?

Rgds

Paul!

Hi guys,

Success! Well, step 1 anyway. Got the Snow Leopard (10.6.3) disc in PC World in Naas for €29.98.

So now, few q's.

- Will a simple file backup as a 'just in case' be sufficient?
    - Is this an upgrade disc?
    - Will it wipe my HD or simply, 'upgrade' the O/S?

Anything else I need to watch for?

Rgds

Paul!

*Ya, file backup would be recommended.
    * When SL was released first it was advertised as an upgrade. But I think they're selling full retail disks now for 30 quid. Either way, you can perform and upgrade or a clean install.
    * Personally I'd backup and wipe the hd. I always do clean installs as I find it gets rid of clutter and speeds up my computer, but if your more comfortable doing an upgrade then that's the option for you.
    * There is also a third option with Mac, You can have a clean install where the installer takes whats on the hd previously, backs it up into a folder and then installs a clean copy of SL on to the system. This option is probably perfect for you. It's called Archive and Install. See here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

1) always back up before installing a new OS, as your not going straight from Leopard im unsure how smooth it would be as older software running might not run in Snow Leopard

2) This does not erase your disk, it simply installs the new OS and keeps all your files etc.

Any doubts Youtube it, plenty of walkthrough videos detailing it all.

This is super guys. Not sure what to do to be honest. Might just go with the upgrade for the moment and maybe do a clean install later in the year when I have more time on my hands!

Either way, thanks a million for the assistance!

Rgds

Paul

Upgrade, set up Time Machine, fresh install, huzzah!

Hay all,

Just a quick update. Upgraded my MacBook over the weekend to Snow Leopard. Just upgraded rather than a clean install as time is not on my side at the moment but wow! What an improvement! Absolutely delighted with it!

Plan to do a clean install later in the year. The upgrade took about an hour and was completely painless. It has killed my powerpoint but I need to upgrade office either ways!

Thanks for everyones help on here, very much appreciated.

Rgds

Paul

Advertisement