Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prize Presentation photos. Best settings?

• 30-07-2010 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭

I was down in the local football club taking photos of a few matches recently and I was asked this week to take photos of the prize presentation. I agreed without thinking too much about it.

But the thing is I'm trying lately to stop using the auto setting on my canon. I've been using AV a lot for portraits but this has been outside where lighting wasn't an issue. It's at night so the only lighting would be the function room lighting. I do have access to a flash gun but I'm not sure it will help much with a group shot. So my question is what's the best setting you use when taking indoor group shots.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Manual Mode, I reckon.
    You can underexpose then if the flash isn't powerful enough to light all the group in the room!

If you can, bounce the flash from the ceiling, it'll give a better spread of light and usually nicer, smoother lighting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Defo use the camera (& flash too) in manual as that will ensure that your images are consistent from start to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

Thanks, heading off now to mess around with manual mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Yeah, I've noticed( on my camera ) that the flash will only expose perfectly when I set it up, If I use AV or TV I get terrible pictures...

I'd take a few test shots first, of the trophies and stuff to make sure everything is looking mostly right, make sure you're shooting in raw and take a few photos of each prize handing over. Maybe make some quick adjustments if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If you use AV or TV then the camera assumes you are looking to use the flash as a fill light and to let the ambient light in also, most times is dark conditions this will result in a longer exposure time compared to shooting manual at 1/160th f5.6. When you shoot manual the camera assumes that the flash is the main light source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Not what you are asking but one other point to think about is - think about the background, that is if you have the opportunity to influence where the prize giving is taking place and frame your subjects within the background. It can really make well taken photographs look s****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Not what you are asking but one other point to think about is - think about the background, that is if you have the opportunity to influence where the prize giving is taking place and frame your subjects within the background. It can really make well taken photographs look s****

Very true, I have done this so many times at weddings for guests taking pictures. A move of two or three feet will make a photograph much better looking.

Advertisement