Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair play to Galway City Co cleaners

Options
  • 30-07-2010 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

I left Cross St at about 4am this morning. The place was, as expected, completely destroyed in plastic glasses, bottles, broken glass and every other type of rubbish imaginable. I've never seen it as bad.

Heading home at about 8am the place was spick and span. They must have taken truck loads of rubbish out of the place.

Well done lads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Were the bins full? or just ignorant A-holes throwing crap everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Were the bins full? or just ignorant A-holes throwing crap everywhere?

I think it's just the sheer volume of people. On newstalk this morning, they said there was 70,000 people out in galway last night. No matter how many bins there are, the place is so wedged that people may not be able to get to the bins and/or the bins could be full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I left Cross St at about 4am this morning. The place was, as expected, completely destroyed in plastic glasses, bottles, broken glass and every other type of rubbish imaginable. I've never seen it as bad.

Heading home at about 8am the place was spick and span. They must have taken truck loads of rubbish out of the place.

Well done lads!

I saw them do a fabulous job early in the morning after one St. Patrick's day around Eyre Square.

Plenty of night civil workers get no love! Hats off to all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I think it's just the sheer volume of people. On newstalk this morning, they said there was 70,000 people out in galway last night. No matter how many bins there are, the place is so wedged that people may not be able to get to the bins and/or the bins could be full.

Exactly. It wouldn't have mattered if there was a bin every five feet, the volume of people was that great that the place was always going to get filthy. The rubbish was ankle deep in places!

Woah 70,000! Nice!! Your right, Plus the bins don't tend to get emptied very regularly no matter the occasion. Nice bit of money for the pubs and clubs last night at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Well done lads!

there is no fair play about it. if the place looked like a warzone by day tourits would be less than impressed and there would be complaints to the JD show and after the water fiasco galway cannot afford to mess up again.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Woah 70,000! Nice!! Your right, Plus the bins don't tend to get emptied very regularly no matter the occasion. Nice bit of money for the pubs and clubs last night at least.

And the off licences. There was tons of people at Bucky plaza at about 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Didn't venture into town last night. Say it was horrible.

I imagine the fake tan business is doing well though. :D

I imagine the fake tan business is doing well though. :D

Funny you should say that! I was actually going to post about the sheer volume of orange people in town! :D It was rather hilarious. Obviously there were quite a few devotees of the Jordan school of presentation and "style". Normally finished off with a giant bottle of blue wicked. Pure class, pure class...

This is an actual photo taken on Shop St last nigh;

OompaLoompas1971.jpg

• Advertisement

This is an actual photo taken on Shop St last nigh;

Hand on... something's not quite right...hmmmm... aha, I see <lightbulb moment>.... where's the blue wicked and the fake Juicy Couture handbags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Probably worth pointing out that the clean up is also carried out by the employees of the various bars in the Cross St/Latin quarter area of the city. As far as I know they're obliged to do it. Have even seen the owner of two such establishments in this area helping to shovel up the carnage. Once they've down the big clean up the city council boys move in(as they do every early morning)

So fair play to the bar staff also:)

Can't just be knocking the girls in fairness. I didn't go into town luckily but out where I was around Headford Road there were plenty of Orange girls but the lads weren't much better metrosexual wearing farmers caps..I'm all for keeping traditions alive but if your going to keep the image of past generations of Irish MEN, you should at least be a man not a plike

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was driving through town yesterday at 8pm, lots of nice looking dressed up girls. Can't figure out the deal with those strange hats though.
    Only downer was when I saw two drunk under-age scumbags in mohawks messing with the security at the bus station. When he rang the Guards they fecked off pronto. Wanted to take a video with the camera but was driving at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

After seeing the state of Eyre Square at 7:00 this morning I have to say fair play to the poor lads having to clean up the mess. A mess which as far as I could see was mainly Supermacs bags etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I still can't understand why Buckfast isn't sold in Plastic bottles !! The scumbags that drink the stuff seem to have a ritual of smashing the bottle into the ground after drinking it..

PS. Yes i know not all Bucky drinkers are scumbags but the majority are !

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

I think the City Council do a very good job with keeping the place clean. I often notice stuff thrown along the dual carriageway or in the underpass near the Clayton Hotel but it disappears very quickly.

You'd shudder to think how bad things would get if they even stopped for a few weeks.

I still can't understand why Buckfast isn't sold in Plastic bottles !! The scumbags that drink the stuff seem to have a ritual of smashing the bottle into the ground after drinking it..

What would they use to assault people then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Generalize much ? The majority ? That's an awful load of bollocks if i do say so myself.

Anyway, how would you feel if your local barman said "no more pint glasses, its plastics from now on and all bottled beers from now on will be also in plastic bottles, im sick of cleaning up broken glass at the end of the night"

You wouldn't be too happy id say?

Lets hear it for the Cleaners!

Also wouldn't be bothered by drinking out of plastic glasses...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

padi89 wrote: »
    Generalize much ? The majority ? That's an awful load of bollocks if i do say so myself.

Anyway, how would you feel if your local barman said "no more pint glasses, its plastics from now on and all bottled beers from now on will be also in plastic bottles, im sick of cleaning up broken glass at the end of the night"

Oh noes, beer in plastic, what will I do? Oh, I know, drink it. :rolleyes: jesus is it really that important to you that buckfast comes in a glass bottle?

You're obviously a 16-24 yo bucky drinker then. I live down at the Spanish Arch so have to put up with this Sh$t every night of the week so it's hardly a generalization.And as someone who cycles to work this pi$$es me off no end with the amount of Punctures I get.

And your point is a nonsensical one ..I'm talking about in the Spanish Arch or Bucky Plaza as you'd call it. Pint-Glasses are only served indoors (or Quay Street sometimes) and you can be sure if people started smashing them off the ground after every drink they'd be thrown out. Like it or not people drink buckfast to get smashed , hardly for it's lovely Taste. I should know I drank it by the bucket loads in College :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Oh noes, beer in plastic, what will I do? Oh, I know, drink it. :rolleyes: jesus is it really that important to you that buckfast comes in a glass bottle?

Don't talk absoulte ****e and be a bit realistic, throw up a pole there on AH and see how many people wouldn't care if pint glasses and bottles were rid of and changed to plastics. Sure **** it, while we're at it might as well sticks wine into plastic bottles too, who'd give a **** as long as you can drink it. :rolleyes:

Don't talk absoulte ****e and be a bit realistic, throw up a pole there on AH and see how many people wouldn't care if pint glasses and bottles were rid of and changed to plastics. Sure **** it, while we're at it might as well sticks wine into plastic bottles too, who'd give a **** as long as you can drink it. :rolleyes:

Why would you want to throw a Pole up on AH? Surely the poor guy'd be eaten alive?

OT - fair play to the lads. I'd say last night was extraordinarily messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Sure what difference does it make? I wouldn't give a ****e if the bottles were plastic myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I threw up a pole once........... dreadful splinters in my throat after though.

I didn't state all Glass should be replaced with Plastic...just Buckfast Bottles.

Sorry for bring this thread off topic OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Plenty of wine already comes in boxes, so what? And beer comes in both cans and bottles and there haven't been many riots about it. You must have a serious glass fetish or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

A pint glass is a tool, it only becomes a wepon if the person holding it is a tool, same with a bottle of buckfast, the drink itself isnt to blame its a small group of ejits that drink it give it a bad reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i like beer.

Advertisement