Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair play to Galway City Co cleaners

Options
2»

Comments

they said there was 70,000 people out in galway last night. .

And how exactly do they conclude there were that many, when you think of even just the people in the streets never mind pubs, it's near impossible to even hazard a guess unless they flew overhead with a helicopter and a calculator.

Considering there were 44k at the races, and that nearly half would be from Galway anyway i doubt that another 26k went out for the night on top of EVERY person who attended the track.
    The number would prob be about 44k, add on a few 1000 for the ones who didnt go out after the races(but attended) and replace them with locals(who didnt attend).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mr_A wrote: »
    You'd shudder to think how bad things would get if they even stopped for a few weeks.

Or even a few days, at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

It should be pointed out that Cross Street/High Streetquay Street are cleaned up by the pubs. As someone said earlier, one guy who has 2 premises in the area can always be seen race week at 3 in the morning cleaning the street, and back again at 9 in the morning to hose it down.

The corporation guys are extremely hard workers, but unfortunately their bosses have cut the number of cleaners and bin collectors, which is why the city is starting to look the way it was 5 years ago again.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭a123

Fey! wrote: »
    It should be pointed out that Cross Street/High Streetquay Street are cleaned up by the pubs. As someone said earlier, one guy who has 2 premises in the area can always be seen race week at 3 in the morning cleaning the street, and back again at 9 in the morning to hose it down.

The corporation guys are extremely hard workers, but unfortunately their bosses have cut the number of cleaners and bin collectors, which is why the city is starting to look the way it was 5 years ago again.

Not just the pubs either, Supermac's staff also go out cleaning street at night and I saw them hose down street Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

As part of the agreement for extra Gardai presence etc All pubs are reponsible for outside their own pubs. Its the bar staff you should be saying thanks to, all the council do is supply free shovels to every pubs on High, Mainguard, Quay & Cross St

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Trust me, the mess isn't just confined to that part of town.

Fair play to EVERYONE who's involved in cleaning up after ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Shanley wrote: »
    As part of the agreement for extra Gardai presence etc All pubs are reponsible for outside their own pubs. Its the bar staff you should be saying thanks to, all the council do is supply free shovels to every pubs on High, Mainguard, Quay & Cross St

source?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Wrong.

Galway Corporation for years have put the onus on ALL businesses (sp) in the city to be responsible for outside their own premises, leaning harder on the pubs and take aways then other outlets. It pre-dates the closing of the streets, and it's in place all year round.

As for the shovels, that's the first time I've heard that, and the two publicans I mentioned it to went into spasms of laughter at the thought of Galway Corporation giving anything out for free!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

For years the council workers have been out with the leaf blowers and those cleaning/hover truck thingies every morning, iv never seen bar staff out cleaning.

The thanks should be to the council staff who clean the streets everyday of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Fey! wrote: »

the pubs clean up outside their own pubs. wow! they make a fortune. its the least they can do. why not priase macdonalds who clean up in front of their place every evening.

given the amount of money coming into the city they should have more cleaners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

skelliser wrote: »
    For years the council workers have been out with the leaf blowers and those cleaning/hover truck thingies every morning, iv never seen bar staff out cleaning.

The thanks should be to the council staff who clean the streets everyday of the year.
    That's their job in fairness, is it to much to expect them to do the job they we pay them for properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

Has anybody not seen the tractor with a slurry tank attached at around 5am,
    This was a few months ago in eyre square, The tanker is full of disinfective of fairy up, its cool, they line up and then turn it on, about a 50ft jet of water power housing everything, including the gobs***es giving the clean up crew grief, some sight, and all of shop st eyre square smells like a swiming pool. its really an army of guys out there going hell for leather, just cant understand the drunkin idiots giving them grief.

wtf? a slurry tank full of 'fairy up'? Can I have what you're smoking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

my bad, ment to say disinfective OR fairy up, I dunno know what they use, but it smells so fresh and so clean clean.... prob to deal with vomit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

BornToBe? wrote: »
    my bad, ment to say disinfective OR fairy up,

Very gooood, I like, I like, Yakshama.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Here is a photo of the street been washed early in the morning.......

Have I attached it correctly?

DSC00150#1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I have been working nights for the past week. Each morning it looks as if a bomb made of sh1t has gone off, but then again the square looks terrible most nights. The cleaners do a great job, and some credit to the seagulls for helping clean up all the supermacs and vomit Mmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

JJayoo wrote: »
    I have been working nights for the past week. Each morning it looks as if a bomb made of sh1t has gone off, but then again the square looks terrible most nights. The cleaners do a great job, and some credit to the seagulls for helping clean up all the supermacs and vomit Mmmmmmm
    The old seagulls, they got a hot meal the night I seem them working years ago. friend was puking down near bridge meals. They started eating it while he was still there retching

BornToBe? wrote: »
    my bad, ment to say disinfective OR fairy up, I dunno know what they use, but it smells so fresh and so clean clean.... prob to deal with vomit?

You're sticking with the 50ft spray and water cannoning of drunks aspect of your story though? do not believe.

Advertisement