Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving on the footpath - Threadneedle Road junction

Options
  • 30-07-2010 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

This drives me insane when people do this.

You know the junction at the top of Threadneedle Road, Taylors Hill and Kingston Road? The left had filter lane coming from Kingston Road onto the junction - some people constantly drive up on the footpath due to the stupid road markings which aren't wide enough for two cars to fit in at the beginning of them.

People who do this drive me nuts. I saw one of those massive Audi 4x4 (Q8 I think) with a Luxemburg registration do this yesterday at about 25mph. I was not happy in my **** Mondeo.

Not only is it illegal, it's extremely dangerous for pedestrians, and if a cyclist was coming around the corner on the footpath at speed (I know that is technically wrong too but it doesn't seem as dangerous) and turns around the corner we have another road death.

GRRRRR! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

/rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

You know the junction at the top of Threadneedle Road, Taylors Hill and Kingston Road? The left had filter lane coming from Kingston Road onto the junction - some people constantly drive up on the footpath due to the stupid road markings which aren't wide enough for two cars to fit in at the beginning of them.

People who do this drive me nuts. I saw one of those massive Audi 4x4 (Q8 I think) with a Luxemburg registration do this yesterday at about 25mph. I was not happy in my **** Mondeo.

Not only is it illegal, it's extremely dangerous for pedestrians, and if a cyclist was coming around the corner on the footpath at speed (I know that is technically wrong too but it doesn't seem as dangerous) and turns around the corner we have another road death.

GRRRRR! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

/rant

I agree with you but I think a more serious problem is the speed that people drive on Kingston Road. It's a residential area for Gods sake!

Of course, if the Green muppets, and the Labour and ex-Labour councillors had worked for the people of Galway instead of their narrow fanatical agendas, we'd have a Galway bypass that would take most traffic off this road. They've screwed things up so royally that we'll have to put up with overcrowded junctions on this road for many years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If it really concerns you, write to the council/papers about it - nothing is gonna be done about it by posting on an internet forum

(I agree with you though)

JohnCleary wrote: »
    If it really concerns you, write to the council/papers about it - nothing is gonna be done about it by posting on an internet forum

...and if you do you could suggest some of those barriers that they've put on Bridge Street to stop the taxis parking on the path. Some of that at this junction would stop cars mounting it.

churchview wrote: »
    ...and if you do you could suggest some of those barriers that they've put on Bridge Street to stop the taxis parking on the path. Some of that at this junction would stop cars mounting it.

It'd increase traffic there though, as the lights going on the direction of Taylors/Kingston only stay green for a silly amount of time

It'd increase traffic there though, as the lights going on the direction of Taylors/Kingston only stay green for a silly amount of time

Fair point, but I don't think it would be significant as not that many people mount the footpath.

The real solution would be to take a piece from the front of the Fort Lorenzo development and create two wider lanes. Can't see that happening though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah I've seen it lots of times (I'd be in the other lane, going straight towards Ardilaun) but has anyone ever been hurt?
    Maybe a stationary camera and a few fines would sort it.

biko wrote: »
    Yeah I've seen it lots of times (I'd be in the other lane, going straight towards Ardilaun) but has anyone ever been hurt?
    Maybe a stationary camera and a few fines would sort it.

Don't think there's ever been an incident. Majority of the time cars just crawl up along, and the footpath gets quite wide towards the traffic lights. The example above (ie. speeding 4x4) was an isolated example I reckon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Don't think there's ever been an incident. Majority of the time cars just crawl up along, and the footpath gets quite wide towards the traffic lights. The example above (ie. speeding 4x4) was an isolated example I reckon

You obviously have'nt seen mummies ferrying precious cargo to school in their chelsea tractors.
    I've seen this numerous times going back over a decade. Next time you are there, have a look at the footpath and note how damaged it is at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

it's weird though, cause the road (including the footpath) would be wide enough to widen the actual lanes - noone needs such a huge footpath, so why not widen the road up there. and allow for more traffic to queue for the left turn.

The whole junction is a disaster though - it's lethal when the lights are not working. I'd say a roundabout would actually be beneficial there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Nonsense, he needs to start a Facebook group. Those things get the job done.

• Advertisement

galah wrote: »

The whole junction is a disaster though - it's lethal when the lights are not working. I'd say a roundabout would actually be beneficial there.

Oh Christ NOOOOOOO!!!!!! Not another roundabout!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

teeheehee.

well, obviously the lights aren't really working very well (especially when the schools are back and all those mammies start to drive little fat Chloe and Kevin those 500 meters to their place of education again), so I can't think of anything else they could do to improve that junction...

(apart from more cycle lanes, proper public transport even for *shockhorror* villages beyond Barna, and generally making the roads safer so that people would actually be encuraged not to use the car...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Was hit there last summer. Wrote to O'Cuiv and a few others about putting a rail up ala Westside/Renton Road junction. Haven't heard back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Nonsense, he needs to start a Facebook group. Those things get the job done.

I poked Galway County Council and left a message on their wall :rolleyes: :D

In seriousness though I will write a brief letter about it. The Kingston Road takes a huge amount of traffic, there is plenty of space of footpath on both sides of the road to widen it significantly*. When the schools are back on it becomes a major bottleneck junction, which really encourages people to drive on the footpath out of sheer frustration, just wanting to be clear of it.

Due to the short timing of the lights coming from the other direction (Talyors Hill to Kingston Road) a jam can build up there very quickly when one car who is turning right towards Westside doesn't move out enough (muppets) for the cars going to the Kingston Road to go around it. I have seen the lights change there and only one car per change actually gets through the junction.

You would wonder what the traffic engineers in the council are on, or have they even looked at that at all?

All this and more will be included in my official rant :D

* There is a little lay-bye there that isn't a bus stop and all it seems to serve is for people to park for a for GAA matches nearby. I have also seen the entire other side of the road (the bit where people drive on mentioned in the original post) full of curbed cars on match days. Crazy.

I have a strong urge relating to producing a thread on the highly illicit activity of deliberately illegally abandoned vehicles with particular reference to designated pedestrian throughfares.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

When the corpo gave permission for the fort lorenzo complex behind that wall they should have told them to take the wall back 1m and a tad more right on the corner and that would have left room for a decent lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

churchview wrote: »
    Oh Christ NOOOOOOO!!!!!! Not another roundabout!

Agreed, galway drivers don't know how to use them. In fact the majority of galway drivers barely know how to drive. I propose the whole town be made into a one way system, it would fix a lot of problems....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

since this is still an on-going issue I thought I'd resurrect this...

just noticed that someone has placed a few traffic cones along the outside of the Kingston Rd. footpath exactly where left-turning drivers habitually mount the footpath. no Garda markings on them so it must have been a local resident taking matters into their own hands. fair play, that particular section of footpath is very narrow anyhow without this bloody carry on.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

jkforde wrote: »
    since this is still an on-going issue I thought I'd resurrect this...

just noticed that someone has placed a few traffic cones along the outside of the Kingston Rd. footpath exactly where left-turning drivers habitually mount the footpath. no Garda markings on them so it must have been a local resident taking matters into their own hands. fair play, that particular section of footpath is very narrow anyhow without this bloody carry on.

Fair play my eye.

There's a lunatic out taking photographs of traffic for the last few mornings. He was there yesterday and again this morning. I think these cones may belong to that guy but can't be sure. One wonders if he would claim ownership of the cones if someone tripped over them?

My wife phoned me yesterday as he was pointing his camera at her car and our child. From her description, it's the same guy who I've seen. She was a bit worried at first but agreed with me that it's obviously someone with a sad fixation; it's a bit sad really.

I was in to the guards over lunchtime for something else and mentioned it to them. Let's just say, they seemed aware of the guy...

Was you wife driving on the footpath? If she phoned you yesterday, does this mean she was holding a telephone in her hand whilst in control of a car?

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Was you wife driving on the footpath? If she phoned you yesterday, does this mean she was holding a telephone in her hand whilst in control of a car?

No, and No.

Yesterday he was near the turn up to Rahoon cemetery. This morning he was at the Kingston crossroads.

Fair play to him I say.
    I'm sure he makes people think twice about their driving or endangering lives.
    Please ensure that when your wife goes past any camera (cctv or otherwise) at anytime that you mention this to the Garda.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Please ensure that when your wife goes past any camera (cctv or otherwise) at anytime that you mention this to the Garda.

That's bit trite and insulting. Walking past a cctv or random camera is entirely different to having an individual who is loitering, specifically point a camera at you in circumstances which are somewhat unusual to say the least. You might be alright with men making your family uncomfortable. I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

If someone took a picture of me driving when I was doing nothing wrong I wouldn't be impressed, I believe CCTV should be used in all realms of aiding the Gardaí in prosecuting people but he seems to me to be taking matters into his own hands as CCTV has to have certain data protection criteria i think, this man can not guarantee to me as I am driving that it wont be used in any way that would shine me in a bad light.

Re that section of road the amount of people that don't hold out into the outer lane is head-wrecking. it stops cars actually being able to turn left, I am not talking about the kerb jump early on but the second car from the lights taking up almost half the left hand lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

So basically what we have now is a debate about what is the greater breach of the law, driving up on footpaths or taking pictures and video of drivers performing this action? Seems to me that the person in question would only actually be taking a picture or video of car that was infact up on the footpath whilst driving. If the wife in question was snapped she was most likely performing the deed in question or alternatively he may have snapped her for being on the phone to her husband while driving seeing as it was admitted that the she phoned while the anonymous person pointed the camera at her. As she was at the juction there was no way she stopped the car to make a call.

I'm not saying either person is in the right or wrong, but there does seem to be an element of the pot calling the kettle black here.

zarquon wrote: »
    So basically what we have now is a debate about what is the greater breach of the law, driving up on footpaths or taking pictures and video of drivers performing this action? Seems to me that the person in question would only actually be taking a picture or video of car that was infact up on the footpath whilst driving. If the wife in question was snapped she was most likely performing the deed in question or alternatively he may have snapped her for being on the phone to her husband while driving.

I'm not saying either person is in the right or wrong, but there does seem to be an element of the pot calling the kettle black here.

Quite a few presumptions there.

Who knows whether she was snapped or not?; she didn't stop to ask. He did point the camera at her (and me incidentally later in the morning).

Neither she, nor I were on the path.

She phoned me later from home, when she was sitting in the kitchen as opposed to driving. If she had phoned me when driving, it is likely that she would have used the car kit rather than handling her phone.

There's no pot, kettle, black to this.

Fair enough but you did change your story:
    ?Cee?view wrote:
    My wife phoned me yesterday as he was pointing his camera at her car and our child
    ?Cee?view wrote:
    She phoned me later from home, when she was sitting in the kitchen

You are contradicting yourself now which doesn't help give you any credence in the matter. If she was on bluetooth, then fair enough but you stated she did not call you from the car but also stated the man in question was pointing the camera at her as you were on the phone to your wife.

If you cannot get your story straight on such a simple matter you'll have to excuse me if i take any other statement on the situation from you with a pinch of salt.

If she wasn't doing anything wrong, he wouldn't be taking any pictures so there is no real issue. If he did take pictures it would only be to capture something he would deem as illegal and if this was the case it would be a bit rich for someone to go crying about a breach of privacy if they were breaching the rules of the road.

Are you saying that a persons privacy is more important that the rules of the road?

Fair enough but you did change your story:

You are contradicting yourself now which doesn't help give you any credence in the matter. If she was on bluetooth, then fair enough but you stated she did not call you from the car but also stated the man in question was pointing the camera at her as you were on the phone to your wife.

If you cannot get your story straight on such a simple manner you'll have to excuse me if i take any other statement on the situation from you with a pinch of salt.

Substitute the word "because" for "as" and climb down off your horse :rolleyes:
    If she wasn't doing anything wrong, he wouldn't be taking any pictures so there is no real issue. If he did take pictures it would only be to capture something he would deem as illegal.

Are you reading his mind now, or do you know him?

Are you saying that a persons privacy is more important that the rules of the road?

That's a false equivalence.

• Advertisement

?Cee?view wrote: »

Are you reading his mind now, or do you know him?

I'm just making a logical assumption, i do not know him. As a bipartisan observer in this case i am far more equipped to form an objective opinion than you.

Regardless of what happened, the only people who would be really concerned by this are people who are kerb driving this stretch while caught on camera doing so. I personally would have no issue of a camera in my vicinity if i wasn't doing something wrong.

Advertisement