Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving office & need to move emails from outlook

• 30-07-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi not sure where to put this thread.

I'm working in an office in Dublin and Berlin where we use microsoft outlook for emails.
    We moved to Berlin for the Summer and transfered are incoming emails to PCs there.

Now we're moving back to Dublin and I need to bring all the emails with me but transfer them in such a way as not to delete the emails still in Dublin.

I've had a look on the net and there is a .pst file which contains archieved emails but if I bring that back it will save over all the old emails.

Anyone had any experience in doing this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

You could create an email folder in Outlook ( lets call it Berlin ) and move all your email into that folder. Then create your .pst file off that folder.

When you get back to Dublin you can restore from that .pst file and you'll get the 'Berlin' folder back, but it won't overwrite anything else.

Does that take care of your question or am I misunderstanding what you've asked?

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

cheers for getting back to me so quick.
    yeah that's pretty much what I want to do.

Ok so within outlook I save all my emails under a berlin folder and then save the .pst file. When I'm back in Dublin I put the .pst file in the correct folder saving over the existing .pst and it will add the berlin emails to the other existing email. And this definatly wont just get rid of all my old emails?

Not quite, no!

The first thing you do is copy all your email that you currently have in Berlin into the new Berlin folder ( feel free to sort the email into sub-folders etc. as well to make it easier to find them etc. ). You'll now have a folder call Berlin with lots of email in it ( and maybe subfolders too ).

Now click on the File menu and choose 'Import and Export'. Choose Export to a File, and choose the .pst option. Then select your Berlin folder and make sure it has subfolders selected.

Then give the file a name ( Berlin would be the obvious one ) and select where you want the file to be saved. You can password protect it if you want, but you don't have to. You'll then have a file called 'Berlin.pst' saved on your PC, which you can copy to a USB Stick or whatever.

Then, when you're back in Dublin, run Outlook, choose Import and Export again and this time Import a file. Find your Berlin.pst file on your memory stick ( or copy it to a temp folder on your PC first and find it there ) and tell it to import that file. That should then re-create your Berlin folder in your Dublin Outlook email, alongside the other email / folders you have. As you're not overwriting the pst file on your Dublin PC, but importing from a different pst file, you're not overwriting any email.

Just one thing though, make sure you call the new folder a name that you're not using in your Dublin PC. So don't use 'Berlin' if you've got a Berlin folder on your Dublin PC's email already, if that makes sense? If it's the same name it could overwrite.

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

Cheers Jason that's really clear now. Thanks a million for your help

Not at all, glad to help...

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

You could also just copy the Berlin.pst file on to your Dublin PC and then open the .pst file in Outlook as well as your normal Oulook Personal Folder(s). Then you'd have 2 separate folders that you can view in Outlook and you can just use them like that and/or drag the required folders/e-mails from one to the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

To be honest Bhickey's suggestion would probably be a lot simpler!

Advertisement