Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quality of life in Tullow

Options
  • 30-07-2010 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

what is Tullow like to live in? i may be assigned to the town in the near future, but am anxious to avoid a town where the only thing to do is go to the pub.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

Fuinseog wrote: »
    what is Tullow like to live in? i may be assigned to the town in the near future, but am anxious to avoid a town where the only thing to do is go to the pub.
    Its not bad , I didn't mind living there , had a bit of hassle on the streets every now and then late at night but that's to be expected these days.
    I honestly cant think of anything to do there... but then again there is not much to do in towns like Tullow and there is plenty of them around Ireland.
    If you have a car live you could Carlow town and drive the short distance... at least there is more to do there.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

Fuinseog,

Like a lot of Irish towns the main social activity in Tullow would revolve around the pubs. If you could give an indication of things that interest you then ppl could give you more advice, e.g Mount Wolesley hotel has a gym and also a golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Fuinseog,

Like a lot of Irish towns the main social activity in Tullow would revolve around the pubs. If you could give an indication of things that interest you then ppl could give you more advice, e.g Mount Wolesley hotel has a gym and also a golf course.

thanks for that. a gym is important. are there alos major supermarkets there or just supervalu? is it well connected by public transport? is there the possility of taking night classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

Being honest the answer is no to those three points. You really would have to go to Carlow for supermarkets and also night courses. As for public transport again everything would hub around Carlow.

I suppose it depends on where you currently live as to the adjustment you will have to make; if you're coming from Dublin the social and cultural adjustment will be massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Being honest the answer is no to those three points. You really would have to go to Carlow for supermarkets and also night courses. As for public transport again everything would hub around Carlow.

Steady on there royston.

There is an Aldi, large Super Valu & a large Tesco in Tullow so no need to go to Carlow for shopping.

Tullow Community school runs adult night courses.

Not sure about public transport but there are regular busses to Dublin.

Regarding other activities.
    As already mentioned there is a golf course and gym at Mount Wolseley.
    There is also a kayaking club, football clubs (both real and GAA:D), martial arts classes, fishing etc.
    The local roads (except the N81) are great for walking, running, cycling.

So plenty to do if you look in the right places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

i dont live in tullow, but i go there for circuit training every monday and wednesday evening. mount wolseley have a good gym (if a tad over priced) and they also do alot of fitness classes that are open to non-members.

as already said tullow community school do plenty of night classes (which should be advertised in the next month or so) and teach bride also run a variety of night classes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Riding club two miles outside the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Tullow is like any town of a similar size you'd find anywhere in the country. If you look for something to do you'll find something to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭cantona1111

As pointed out in previous post there are alot of things to do around Tullow. Its all down to what your interested in, with carlow town only a few minutes away. A car is essential if you have no transport you will have problems in getting around. Night courses are available in any secondary school in the county and the IT in Carlow have a huge selection of course. There are alot of opportunities for anyone that is motivated to get involved any number of clubs and associations in Tullow and surrounding areas. Its not a bad little town really.

Riding club two miles outside the town.

There's a dogging joke in there somewhere

• Advertisement

Essien wrote: »
    There's a dogging joke in there somewhere

So many jokes....
    Took a lot of will power to resist.......but I did resist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Fuinseog: Why not post what your interests are and we can tell you if its possibe in Tullow.
    What do you do in your spare time now?

Nead21 wrote: »
    i dont live in tullow, but i go there for circuit training every monday and wednesday evening. mount wolseley have a good gym (if a tad over priced) and they also do alot of fitness classes that are open to non-members.

as already said tullow community school do plenty of night classes (which should be advertised in the next month or so) and teach bride also run a variety of night classes.

is it a big gym? i mean does it have a sauna and steam room? I travel a lot and some hotel gyms have only two threadmills and a few rusty dumbbells.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

is it a big gym? i mean does it have a sauna and steam room? I travel a lot and some hotel gyms have only two threadmills and a few rusty dumbbells.
    It's a bit better than that
    http://www.mountwolseley.ie/leisure.html
    The Mount Wolseley Leisure Centre boasts a Twenty Metre indoor Pool, A Spacious state-of-the-art gymnasium fully equipped with Technogym Equipment which is the first of its kind in the County and was the Exclusive Fitness Supplier to the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. This standard of the equipment is very high and is used by World Class Top Athletes.

Git101 wrote: »
    Steady on there royston.

There is an Aldi, large Super Valu & a large Tesco in Tullow so no need to go to Carlow for shopping.

Tullow Community school runs adult night courses.

Not sure about public transport but there are regular busses to Dublin.

Regarding other activities.
    As already mentioned there is a golf course and gym at Mount Wolseley.
    There is also a kayaking club, football clubs (both real and GAA:D), martial arts classes, fishing etc.
    The local roads (except the N81) are great for walking, running, cycling.

So plenty to do if you look in the right places.

thanks for the input.

so there is an Aldi in Tullow. is there a train service or would I have to go to carlow? BTW is there a regualr bus service to Carlow?
    a big problem is that until recently I only lived in big cities and never needed a car, so never bothered to do the licence, but am taking lessons at the moment because I find myself stranded in a small midlands town with little to do.
    a problem with small towns is that people can be clannish and do not associate with foreigners ie anyone not born and raised in the area.

i am interested in martial arts and tried it out where I am now living but gave it up as there were only four people doing it and the whole point is to meet people. hiking could be another option and I see the hills are not far away. are there walking groups ased in the area?

There is a sauna, steam room, jacuzzi and a 20m swimming pool.

The gym is reasonably well equipped with a free weights area and several weight machines, about 6 treadmills, a few bikes, stepper, cross-trainers etc
    As a bonus it's not usually full of meat heads (apologies if you're a meat head :D)
    If you call in I'm sure they will show you around.

i am interested in martial arts and tried it out where I am now living but gave it up as there were only four people doing it and the whole point is to meet people. hiking could be another option and I see the hills are not far away. are there walking groups ased in the area?

There is (certainly was last year) an active Tae kwondo club in Tullow.

There is also a hill walking club. Google "Tullow mountaineering club" They are a really nice group of people and I would say you would have no problem getting a lift to the hikes.

Taekwondo is still active and pretty busy afaik, there's Muai Thai in Bagenalstown too if thats what you're into, a few lads from Tullow do it so you'd probably find a lift handy enough if you wanted.

here's Tullow Taekwandoe facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Tullow-Ireland/Tullow-Taekwondo/356489791925?ref=ts&__a=27&ajaxpipe=1

And here's the mountaineering club's
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tullow-Mountaineering-Club/370336333713

No train service in Tullow. There used to be years and years ago but that's of no use to you.
    AFAIK, the Tullow to Carlow bus goes at 9am and 3pm the return from Carlow to Tullow is at 12:15pm and 5:15pm.
    Its been donkeys years since I used that service so I'm open to correction on that.

ShayK1 wrote: »
    here's Tullow Taekwandoe facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Tullow-Ireland/Tullow-Taekwondo/356489791925?ref=ts&__a=27&ajaxpipe=1

And here's the mountaineering club's
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tullow-Mountaineering-Club/370336333713

No train service in Tullow. There used to be years and years ago but that's of no use to you.
    AFAIK, the Tullow to Carlow bus goes at 9am and 3pm the return from Carlow to Tullow is at 12:15pm and 5:15pm.
    Its been donkeys years since I used that service so I'm open to correction on that.

I know the early one passes St Patricks Pk at about 8:30am, think the other one is 2:30pm

• Advertisement

thanks for the input.

so there is an Aldi in Tullow. is there a train service or would I have to go to carlow? BTW is there a regualr bus service to Carlow?
    a big problem is that until recently I only lived in big cities and never needed a car, so never bothered to do the licence, but am taking lessons at the moment because I find myself stranded in a small midlands town with little to do.
    a problem with small towns is that people can be clannish and do not associate with foreigners ie anyone not born and raised in the area.

Bus Éireann run a route between Dublin-Tullow-Rosslare... 3 buses daily Mon-Fri, 2 on Sat, 3 on Sun and 4 on Thurs. http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1268411487-132.pdf

RapidExpress run 2 daily buses Mon-Sat (no Sun service) between Carlow-Tullow-Hacketstown http://rapidexpress.ie/en/timetables

No train to Tullow, closest is Carlow and you'd probably have to make your own way from there unless you can get the midday or 17:10 RapidExpress bus.

Hey, maybe Tullow isn't so isolated afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 !Pablo Fanquez!

Tullow, Co Carlow.

Heroin addicts, travellers, murderers, rapists, paedophiles.

Pretty much what you'd find in any part of Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Tullow, Co Carlow.

Pretty much what you'd find in any part of Carlow Ireland the world.

FYP for you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 fastbowler

Tullow, Co Carlow.

Where is the evidence of any of the above living in Tullow?

Tullow, Co Carlow.

Are you going to back that statement up or are you just here to make random comments like you've been doing on other forums for the past 3 days?

slimjimmc wrote: »

Have you read it?
    She was living in Kilkenny, supplying in Kilkenny and arrested in Kilkenny.
    and that was 3 years ago.

fastbowler wrote: »
    Where is the evidence of any of the above living in Tullow?

me... Oh, not actually me, just all my mates .... only joking..

Jaysus lads most of you are around long enough to know not to FEED THE TROLLS....

I'm surprised with you shay

Git101 wrote: »
    me... Oh, not actually me, just all my mates .... only joking..

Jaysus lads most of you are around long enough to know not to FEED THE TROLLS....

I'm surprised with you shay

Point taken but I'd hate for the OP to get an inaccuarate view of Tullow just becuase of 1 post.

• Advertisement

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Point taken but I'd hate for the OP to get an inaccuarate view of Tullow just becuase of 1 post.

If you look at my previous posts I have tried to show Tullow in a positive light.
    I don't mean to be disrespectful but Tullow, like most Irish rural towns is a sh1thole and all you can do is make the best of what's available.

I don't think that the OP will get an inaccurate view of Tullow because of one troll..

Advertisement