Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break-in advice please

Options
  • 30-07-2010 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

hi i am living in a flat..for a long time the door has been broken,(it would not close properly).

i have asked the landlord to fix the door on numerous occasions and he did not do it.

now surprise surprise i have been robbed(laptop,camera,ps3,xbox wii and some cash for the rent)

is my landlord to blame for me being out of pocket

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I wouldn't have kept that sort of very-tempting-to-thieves stuff in a flat where the door didn't close, to be honest. If he didn't care about fixing the door I can't see him caring about you having your stuff knicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

No, the landlord is not liable. You should have your own contents insurance for your own stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

with something as serious as a door that wouldn't close, a phone call followed by a registered letter is required - since any contents insurance you had would be void due to not having a properly closing door, and the letter would be required to bring your landlord to small claims court.

If you have no proof of having asked him you can't prove that he owes you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

hi i am living in a flat..for a long time the door has been broken,(it would not close properly).

i have asked the landlord to fix the door on numerous occasions and he did not do it.

now surprise surprise i have been robbed(laptop,camera,ps3,xbox wii and some cash for the rent)

is my landlord to blame for me being out of pocket

not a good idea to keep cash in the house. when the main door of the building was broken (it was repaired within a day) i brought my laptop and camera with me to work. if the door was not closing properly and the landlord was not willing to do something about it I would move out. generally the lock is the first thing i inspect when moving in as some doors can be awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Its quite common in shared converted properties for some dumb tenants to leave the front door open all day, however I lived next door to a place for a while where the front door appeared to be broken. Difficult issue, contents insurance unfortunately is your own responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry to hear this.

You could make a complaint to the PRTB on habitibility grounds, but I'm not sure if you'd get far.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭My.testicals

Ta for most of the replies.

i dont think i will get any where at all with him but im just a bit pi$$ed off i have asked him lots of times to do it.

but lesson learned, next time they wont get any rent till whatever problem is fixed.

Advertisement