Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France to expel Roma illegals - should we follow?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

gbee wrote: »

There were calls for treason for the first time in our recent political crises, I'd also like to analogise that Bertie or Nero "Fiddled while Rome Burnt"

I think the Celtic tiger was fiddling while Ireland burned to be honest.

To Nodin, ok one camp of illegals who were very wealthy in their own country were deported ( they were paid to do so BTW), but there are thousands of their ilk still here, still doing the same thing, so I will rant away mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

the roma came to europe with invaders like genghis khan/barbarians etc they originate in the hindu kush region...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nodin wrote: »
    ...which is the way it is in America, which is probably what influenced him.

Was it not a sop to Northern Ireland?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭last name ever. first name greatest

If our Government deported ANYONE who is living here illegally they would be highly commended. People like me are sick of all these illegal migrants living openly in and off our country.

You just have to look at the TV shows about Australian immigration to see how PC and kind they are to those attempting to enter without papers, or illegally...not

Our Government is too lazy to get a grip on this problem, and if they don't soon, it will only get worse, when the illegals are kicked out of France, Germany and Sweden, they will arrive here, because their relatives and friends will tell them how nice we are to those who have no papers and who break our laws.

We are total mugs in this country. Applying the law is fundamental to our society, but no, those immigrant support groups and liberal agendists appear to have far more power than the ordinary Joe who wants this sort of scam cleaned up for the sake of law and order overall.

I realise that the law is broken every day by our own lot, but at least they are citizens of our country and somewhere along the line may have contributed to society.

Again, I say our Government is terrified of the liberal brigade and are scared of being seen as either racist or politically incorrect. Little do they know that the vast majority of Irish citizens would welcome a crackdown on illegal immigrants, and would also like to see appropriate sentencing for heinous crimes such as child abuse, rape, manslaughter etc. etc. which seem to merit a suspended or quite short sentence these days.

And if anyone calls me the "R" word for what I have said, I couldn't care less. That bloody word has stifled so much debate in this country on many topics, it is unreal. I will speak.

Why would anyone call you a racist? Most people would like to see illegal immigrants sent packing. Racists are the type who want them sent packing cos like they are a nation of thieves etc.

I'd love to see all the illegal immigrants booted out because they are in the country as eh... illegal immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Why would anyone call you a racist? Most people would like to see illegal immigrants sent packing. Racists are the type who want them sent packing cos like they are a nation of thieves etc.

I'd love to see all the illegal immigrants booted out because they are in the country as eh... illegal immigrants.

comment,
    purely because the last poster's name is too long and it's messing up the After Hours borders. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

To Nodin, ok one camp of illegals who were very wealthy in their own country were deported ( they were paid to do so BTW), but there are thousands of their ilk still here, still doing the same thing, so I will rant away mate.

Theres thousands of illegal Roma in camps here?
    k-9 wrote:
    Was it not a sop to Northern Ireland?.

Possibly, but the point being its not an off-the-wall notion of a way of doing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Possibly, but the point being its not an off-the-wall notion of a way of doing things.

Birthright citizenship is pretty off-the-wall in Europe; the US is pretty unique in this regard these days. Regardless, in Ireland it had everything to do with the Good Friday Agreement and nothing to do with immigration, especially considering that immigration was barely on the radar when the GFA was being negotiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Birthright citizenship is pretty off-the-wall in Europe; the US is pretty unique in this regard these days. Regardless, in Ireland it had everything to do with the Good Friday Agreement and nothing to do with immigration, especially considering that immigration was barely on the radar when the GFA was being negotiated.

it was on the radar. Bertie was made aware of this by senior civil servants, but he choose to "ignore"their advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

and nothing to do with immigration, especially considering that immigration was barely on the radar when the GFA was being negotiated.

It opened the floodgates and it was a sop to defeated terrorists by a head of Government who was obviously supporting them instead of looking after the jurisdiction he was elected to.

But you forget that this was precisely Bertie Ahern's vision of a multi cultural Ireland, he hated us so much and or was so incompetent that he signed an agreement that any child born on Irish Soil was Irish.

He wanted to make our country ANYTHING but what it was.

There were calls for treason for the first time in our recent political crises, I'd also like to analogise that Bertie or Nero "Fiddled while Rome Burnt"

incompetent, Bertie?

• Advertisement

mike kelly wrote: »
    incompetent, Bertie?

I know, I'm being too kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Theres thousands of illegal Roma in camps here?

I don't think I said there are thousand of Roma camps here, what I said was that there are many of the same group here.

They need a work permit to be here, or else be able to support themselves without State support. Just like any other guest of our country from outside the EU. However from what I have seen they support themselves by begging and other crimes. They are not allowed to work or claim SW so this is what they do. Is that right or moral?

Why should they be treated any differently from say an Australian visitor who does not have a work permit and must leave before their visa expires?

We are far too soft on illegals. We should take a leaf out of other country's books.

I would not get far if I wanted to go to America and stay there after my tourist visa expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Im sure state funded pavie point would have a say on this...boss:rolleyes:

mike kelly wrote: »
    it was on the radar. Bertie was made aware of this by senior civil servants, but he choose to "ignore"their advice

I think there is plenty to knock Bertie Ahern about, but this isn't one of them. Even if it were discussed, given the numbers at the time, why would he - or any of the negotiators - put a seemingly unlikely theoretical situation ahead of the concrete goal of a peace agreement in the north?

I would not get far if I wanted to go to America and stay there after my tourist visa expired.

Actually, you probably could given how lax enforcement is once you are already in the country...well, you could do well before the economy tanked anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Why should they be treated any differently from say an Australian visitor who does not have a work permit and must leave before their visa expires?

don't quote me but I think its the lack of aussie flash robberies, aussie beggars on the street using their kids as fronts for begging and lack of criminality within those aussies passing their time here off visa surfing and paying their way ...

but hey sh1t I could be wrong ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

bonzos wrote: »
    Im sure state funded pavie point would have a say on this...boss:rolleyes:

Ha HA HAA - something like 'these gipsies are giving us good decent hard working travellers a bad name' LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ardinn wrote: »
    OK I have read to page 8 and cant find a definition of ROMA gypsies - So I have gathered that they are not ALL Romanian but can someone please explain the difference.

They're originally from somewhere in india I understand, then moved en masse to europe. A lot live in romania, but are hated just as much by the romanians.
    I don't think they have any "fixed country" now, they're just scattered everywhere

bluewolf wrote: »
    "fixed country" now, they're just scattered everywhere

They must have killed a God or his son, somewhere in their history, except we are not familiar with this in the West, BTW and coincidentally, Hitler, and I stand to be corrected, killed more of them than he did the Jews.

They must have killed a God or his son, somewhere in their history, except we are not familiar with this in the West, BTW and coincidentally, Hitler, and I stand to be corrected, killed more of them than he did the Jews.

Not even close - estimates are that around 220,000 Roma were killed versus somewhere between 5 to 6 million Jews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Not even close - estimates are that around 220,000 Roma were killed versus somewhere between 5 to 6 million Jews.

Right, just checked, indeed 5/6 million Jews against 11 million others, including Romani gypsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

sligopark wrote: »
    Why does mention of the nazis trigger most of us to check out the 'red' button - the nazis brought alot of things on board in health care, rockets and NASA, and present world outlook - whilst they were distasteful at their time, in general the world (especially those elite chaps) were advantaged by them

pity they got to gassing gays and catholics - good job they never made it to Ireland ;)

It's posts like these that make me wish there was a thumbs down option on boards.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd say this point is the main reason why Sarko is doing this now. The riot just gives him an excuse. It fits in with the banning of the veil, and the fact the the far right party Front National have made significant gains recently. Sarkozy is clearly trying to win back some of those voters.

I think by getting rid of the Roma he reckons he can finally secure the title of least popular man in France. The guy's an unconscionable dickstick; there is no merit in anything he does beyond what it does for him.

has anyone tried to get to know some Roma? maybe invite them around for tea and biscuits and listen to their point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

But you forget that this was precisely Bertie Ahern's vision of a multi cultural Ireland, he hated us so much and or was so incompetent that he signed an agreement that any child born on Irish Soil was Irish.
    I think the Constitution of Ireland was established long before Bertie was around.

Nero actually returned to Rome from Antium when he heard about the fire and paid for the firefighting efforts out of his own funds. Your analogy, like the rest of your post, is ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Percentage wise of total population there were more Gypsies killed than Jews, but it's a moot point when you're talking about genocide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Narim

I think by getting rid of the Roma he reckons he can finally secure the title of least popular man in France. The guy's an unconscionable dickstick; there is no merit in anything he does beyond what it does for him.

Actually the guy is Jewish. It seems the jews don't like the Roma because they can't control us like they control the rest of the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Narim wrote: »
    Actually the guy is Jewish. It seems the jews don't like the Roma because they can't control us like they control the rest of the world...

Actually he's baptised Roman Catholic.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Narim

We should tell Sarcozy to go home to Israel.. He doesn't belong in France either....

Advertisement