Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France to expel Roma illegals - should we follow?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

gurramok wrote: »
    Somehow its racist to deport illegal immigrants! ;)

it is when you use racial profiling to decide who you want to kick out. Sarkozy is targetting them because they are Roma, not because they are illegals.

if he is going to kick out illegals then he should kick them all out, not just the gypseys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

The guys and myself are going into town now to hand out some hard justice,

who wants to join us??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

it is when you use racial profiling to decide who you want to kick out. Sarkozy is targeting them because they are Roma, not because they are illegals.

if he is going to kick out illegals then he should kick them all out, not just the gypseys.
    As much as the Roma are a major problem for all European countries invaded by them, I think Sarkosy is being one sided more so.
    He should ALSO be kicking out other illegals with the same vigour at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Biggins wrote: »
    As much as the Roma are a major problem for all European countries invaded by them, I think Sarkosy is being one sided more so.
    He should ALSO be kicking out other illegals with the same vigour at the same time.

Getting rid of the Roma wins him votes from the Le Pen supporters. Applying the same policies to other groups gets riots in the metropolitan areas and loses the moderates in his support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

darkman2 wrote: »
    I think we will inevitably have to do the same as the Germans are doing it aswell which will put pressure on other countries to take them.

Good on France for doing this, we should follow suit here.

• Advertisement

Getting rid of the Roma wins him votes from the Le Pen supporters. Applying the same policies to other groups gets riots in the petropolitan areas and loses the moderates in his support.
    All true. It all boils down to political games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

tolosenc wrote: »
    When I was living in France, they were camped up by the river. Couldn't get off the island I lived on without being hassled for money. They were in the Metro stations asking for money for a ticket. Romas there are worse than Romas here, by quite a way.

IBTL

yes they are nuts, send em packing , most races can live together with no problem but the roma are a law onto themselves....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,611 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Have I missed something here? Doesn't this article essentially say that the French government has told police to.. ehhh... enforce the law? Has something changed? They don't have any new powers, they haven't changed the law in any way. The only real question to be answered is why the illegal camps have been able to stay for so long

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Terry wrote: »
    I admire Sarkozy for his take no crap attitude.
    First the burkha, and now this.

The Roma contribute nothing to society. Their society is based around crime. They are, in my opinion, nothing but pests.

Kudos to the French for once again doing the right thing.

+1 from me as usual terence.

Good on France for doing this, we should follow suit here.

yep and after we get rid of the roma, i know of another 'society' indigenous to ireland that needs a reality check aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

it is when you use racial profiling to decide who you want to kick out. Sarkozy is targetting them because they are Roma, not because they are illegals.

The Roma are a problem wherever they go, be it Paris, Dublin or Naples. France never opened her borders for free movement to Roma(people from Bulgaria & Romania) or Romanians or Bulgarians to stay for more than 3 months without a work visa, no?

28064212 wrote: »
    Have I missed something here? Doesn't this article essentially say that the French government has told police to.. ehhh... enforce the law? Has something changed? They don't have any new powers, they haven't changed the law in any way. The only real question to be answered is why the illegal camps have been able to stay for so long

No, it's asking them to selectively enforce the law against a minority group in retaliation for a riot following the police shooting of a 15 year old boy.

genericguy wrote: »
    yep and after we get rid of the roma, i know of another 'society' indigenous to ireland that needs a reality check aswell.

And who's after that on your hitlist?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Because people will cry genocide or some other bull****.
    Listen, folks. They are not being exterminated. They are just being sent back to their countries of origin.

Why are they being targetted specifically?
    Did you read the article?
    They rioted, thus putting a bullseye on themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

knird evol wrote: »
    Men on ze left, women on ze right.

No you see there's the problem. Its not the doing something about it , its the not doing something about it for fear of comments and comparisons like this thats the problem.

Right wing politicians and people with uber right wing vies actually grow in strenght when nettles aren't grasped. If the middle ground politicians dont sort the problem i.e illegal immigrants then ground support will swell for the extremist groups and their supporters.

If somethings illegal then deal with it. The problem only starts when its not dealt with ;)

They rioted, thus putting a bullseye on themselves.

Why did they riot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Is she still here?

no doubt
    Yes. I think she's taking her case to the European court.

who is paying her legal fees for all this? it must run into hundreds of thousands not to mention what it has cost to defend and investigate her claims ...

next stop for the romas ... Ireland

anyone else that continually breaks the law and displays no respect for the hard-working members of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I'm thinkin' chavs and D4 heads, if a job's worth doin' it's worth doin right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

If you think the policy is so great and you want it in this country, then get off your ass and work for it to be in this country, just don't sit and moan on the internet..

So if people did do that would it stop being xenophobia in your eyes?
    FWIW, I'm certainly not a fan of thievery or begging regardless of where the person is from, and I do believe illegal immigrants should be deported one fair and due process has been completed, but the policy should be the same for everyone, not a "Round up the gypsies" type of thing that has the mouth breathers on here drooling.

Has to start somewhere, presumably with the worst offenders, for example I'd rather a criminal unemployed illegal Roma living in an illegal settlement be deported ahead of say an illegal Tunisian who is working hard, paying taxes, contributing to society. Many of the Roma make a point of not contributing anything constructive whatsoever, no issues there with targetting this one group as a good place to start. Like a crime fighing initiative which focuses on gun crime. It's not to say that knife crime will be ignored but resources primarily used where it is needed most first.=

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

anyone else that continually breaks the law and displays no respect for the hard-working members of the public.

Politicians

Sorry to requote you, but here's an AP article from google news
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jGTyaphxCvA8txDXyvCeft54o_BAD9H8958O2
    SAINT OUEN, France — French President Nicolas Sarkozy on Wednesday ordered authorities to expel Gypsy illegal immigrants and dismantle their camps, amid accusations that his government is acting racist in its treatment of the group known as Roma.
    Sarkozy called a government meeting Wednesday after Gypsies clashed with police this month following the shooting death of a youth fleeing officers in the Loire Valley.
    Sarkozy said those responsible for the clashes would be "severely punished" and ordered the government to expel all illegal Roma immigrants, almost all of whom have come from eastern Europe.
    He pushed for a change in France's immigration law to make such expulsion easier "for reasons of public order." He said illegal Gypsy camps "will be systematically evacuated," calling them sources of trafficking, exploitation of children and prostitution.

Also from the same article
    Those in the more established communities say they are being unfairly lumped together with illegal new immigrants. Sarkozy's orders Wednesday targeted Roma, though the violence in Saint-Aignan earlier this month was in a community of traveling folk established in the region for years.

You'll find plenty of "hard-working members of the public" who break the law continually also. LEt's not pretend our **** don't stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,611 ✭✭✭✭28064212

No, it's asking them to selectively enforce the law against a minority group in retaliation for a riot following the police shooting of a 15 year old boy.
    Ok, if I ring them up and tell them I know where there are a load of illegal immigrants, and it's well known that they are, definitely, illegal, should they not enforce the law? There's definitely complaints to be made against the police here, but just because there has been mistakes made, doesn't mean that the illegals are somehow legal now

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Quote from the British Times:
    President Sarkozy is being accused of stirring racial hatred after summoning officials to a meeting today to plan a crackdown on crime among itinerant groups such as Gypsies.

The move has been denounced as a declaration of war by leaders of the Roma community and a “scandalous stigmatisation” by his left-wing political opponents.

Mr Sarkozy is being lauded by supporters for his determination to end antisocial and criminal behaviour among the 400,000 or so itinerant people believed to live in France. The meeting comes after rioting in Saint-Aignan, in central France, when Luigi Duquenet, 22, a Gypsy, was shot dead by police after he tried to drive through a road block earlier this month.

The President said that he had called the meeting in response to “the behaviour of some people among travellers and Roma” and “to decide the evacuation of illegal camps”.

Alain Daumas, chairman of the Union of French Gypsy Associations, accused Mr Sarkozy of declaring war on them. He said: “Watch out, we are just as determined as the Gypsies of old not to give way.”

Luc Chatel, the government spokesman, added to the anger by suggesting that most travellers were foreigners. The majority of itinerant groups have French passports. The only non-French itinerant people is the Roma, most of whom are of Romanian or Bulgarian nationality.

Mr Sarkozy’s critics say that he is deliberately using Roma as a generic term for all itinerant groups in an attempt to boost his dwindling popularity, particularly among working-class voters, by playing the race card.

They say that the Council of Europe recently attacked France for failing to respect seven legal obligations towards travellers, including a duty to provide campsites for them in all towns with a population of more than 5,000.
    Source: http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/83/wwwthetimescoukttonewsw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Brendog wrote: »
    Yeah get them out the make me sick!

"please, change, baby, sir, please"

"No I'm not changing your ****ing baby. Learn english you smelly, shower curtain covered mess!!"

I know you got a yellow for that but I laughed loudly..... nice one

prinz wrote: »
    So if people did do that would it stop being xenophobia in your eyes?

No, but I'd at least respect that they are using a fair and democratic way to do it. I'd do my best to ensure they didn't win, but it at least would be a fair fight.
    Has to start somewhere, presumably with the worst offenders, for example I'd rather a criminal unemployed illegal Roma living in an illegal settlement be deported ahead of say an illegal Tunisian who is working hard, paying taxes, contributing to society.

So an illegal we can exploit is better than one we can't.
    Many of the Roma make a point of not contributing anything constructive whatsoever,

What oppertunities are there for them with society's current attitude towards them? Integration is a two way street remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Why did they riot?

...after police had shot and killed a young suspect who drove through one police checkpoint without stopping, dragging a police officer with his car a few hundred metres, then accelerating towards two more officers at a second checkpoint upon which one of the gendarmes opened fire on the car. Simples.

Or would you prefer the other version, where the young lad was out smelling flowers and chasing butterflies when he was brutally cut down in the prime by gun happy jackbooted nazis police officers? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

prinz wrote: »
    ...after police had shot and killed a young suspect who drove through one police checkpoint without stopping, dragging a police officer with his car a few hundred metres, then accelerating towards two more officers at a second checkpoint upon which one of the gendarmes opened fire on the car. Simples.

Or would you prefer the other version, where the young lad was out smelling flowers and chasing butterflies when he was brutally cut down in the prime by gun happy jackbooted nazis police officers? :rolleyes:

where has the second version been published?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Quote from the British Times:
    "Mr Sarkozy’s critics say that he is deliberately using Roma as a generic term for all itinerant groups in an attempt to boost his dwindling popularity, particularly among working-class voters, by playing the race card."

Source: http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/83/wwwthetimescoukttonewsw.jpg

I'd say this point is the main reason why Sarko is doing this now. The riot just gives him an excuse. It fits in with the banning of the veil, and the fact the the far right party Front National have made significant gains recently. Sarkozy is clearly trying to win back some of those voters.

Advertisement