Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France to expel Roma illegals - should we follow?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Really?
    This is the one that came up on Google.
    Meh. More reasons to deport illegal immigrants.
    Riots broke out in Saint-Aignan, a town of just 3,400 people, last Sunday after members of the Traveller community reacted to the death of a young man at the hands of the police, with a violent attack on the local police station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Romas ? Romanys ? Romanians ?

Send em back to Rome I say I mean what have these bloody Romans ever done for us
    Romanes eunt domus

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fuuuuuuuuus

Mike 1972 wrote: »

Send em back to Rome I say I mean what have these bloody Romans ever done for us
    Romanes eunt domus

it was only a matter of time before someone said that....good show.

Mike 1972 wrote: »

Romanes eunt domus

Romans they go in the 'ouse? :)
    Interior Minister Brice Hortefeux said Thursday on RTL radio that over the next three months he would use decrees to dismantle about 300 illegal camps, of which 200 belong to Roma. These camps are the source of “illicit trafficking, children exploited for begging, prostitution or delinquency,” he said.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/world/europe/30france.html?src=mv
    Not all Roma.
    Is it ok now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Terry wrote: »
    Really?

You're sounding pathetic now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

We should just enslave the roma a new era of slavery for all huzzahhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

I have tried and tried to be open minded about the Roma people.... God Knows I have tried... However, I have yet to have an encounter with them that turned out to be positive.

like me, there are many Boards member that would like to think they are tolerant and open minded. Yet, is there one person here who can honestly say they wouldn't hold their handbag closer, or keep their hand on their wallet when a group of Romany pass them on the street?

In conversation I have found myself defending the Romas, because I really don't want to be prejudice. Yet, what I say and what I think in relation to them are very different. I am sure many people find themselves in the same situation as me. Political correct mind versus real mind.

You're sounding pathetic now.
    Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Bring back Bertie, he'll give them our homes with an open heart and a big smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

There is no mention of whether he was illegal or not, Karim Boubouda , nor is there mention of him being a Roma, only a mention that he was muslim. the Irish Times article you linked to show that his own family called for calm, as well as the local iman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Really?

The guy that got shot in Grenoble was French so I don't see what difference deporting illegal immigrants would have made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

knird evol wrote: »
    If you are so anxious to do "deal with it" then first of all get your head out of your ass and apprise yourself of the basic facts of the situation. The roma that are here are not 'illegal'. Unethical, amoral, parasitic etc yes, but not illegal. They make a spurious claim to seek refuge in our country from supposed oppression in their country of origin. The interpretation that has been taken is that under international law we were to give them refuge and all that this entails ie houses cars money etc.
    You can hardly solve the problem Saab if you don't even understand it.

Im sorry but was there no refuge in Hungary , Bulgaria , Serbia , Austria ,Slovenia , Slovakia , Italy , Switzerland or Germany on the way to France !!!!!

Your Law may be correct but its clear that the law itself is having the piss taken out of it. Define refuge in modern terms. That law you speak off never intended that people would cross an entire continent to get to their country of choice. They're ecomonic migrants granted refuge status because the law is an ass.

There is no mention of whether he was illegal or not, Karim Boubouda , nor is there mention of him being a Roma, only a mention that he was muslim. the Irish Times article you linked to show that his own family called for calm, as well as the local iman.
    The guy that got shot in Grenoble was French so I don't see what difference deporting illegal immigrants would have made.

I have already acknowledged that I was wrong.
    Would you like to go back through my posts and find some more flaws, or would you like to continue discussing the matter at hand?
    I'm easy either way.

I have already acknowledged that I was wrong.
    Would you like to go back through my posts and find some more flaws, or would you like to continue discussing the matter at hand?

Ooh, can I submit one, you accused me of misquoting you when all I did was quote your post before you edited it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

darkman2 wrote: »
    The French Human Rights League accused the president of racism, saying in a statement: "The president of the republic has stigmatised Roma and ‘travelling people' in a racist way, by creating an unacceptable amalgamation of a few individuals with entire communities, and announcing plans for ethnically targeted evictions of illegal settlements."
    I had a mini LoL at the last bit. It seems the French Human Rights League support illegal settlements.

I can also see an influx of them to here. Just with the downturn, I'm hoping the bleeding hearts get sense and see that the Roma are taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Ah now, being a bit harsh there me auld general - they tolerated paedophilia, rape, murder, tourture and orgies.

Why are you bringing the catholic church into it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Im sorry but was there no refuge in Hungary , Bulgaria , Serbia , Austria ,Slovenia , Slovakia , Italy , Switzerland or Germany on the way to France !!!!!

Your Law may be correct but its clear that the law itself is having the piss taken out of it. Define refuge in modern terms. That law you speak off never intended that people would cross an entire continent to get to their country of choice. They're ecomonic migrants granted refuge status because the law is an ass.

Let me make this real simple for you, you complete ****ing moron

I do not want or support Roma people being in this country. I would love them to leave.

If you could now please stop directing posts at me as if I am defending them it would be great. Thanks. You idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

It's politicing. He's picking on an easy target to win support.

and why are they an easy target? because they're predominantly criminal scum. if our politicians would crack down on evil gangland scum, for example, most of whom are white males, there'd be no issue whatsoever.

you have to realise that politicians do nothing that they don't believe will benefit their careers. and the fact the politics is a career means that will never change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Terry wrote:
    I admire Sarkozy for his take no crap attitude.
    First the burkha, and now this.

The Roma contribute nothing to society. Their society is based around crime. They are, in my opinion, nothing but pests.

Kudos to the French for once again doing the right thing.

Ja, its wunderbar.
    Terry wrote:
    Sarkozy sees a problem in his society, he fixes the problem,

Apart from political corruption. In fact, one could see a correspondence between his fixing of some problems when mentions of others arise....
    orourkeda wrote: »
    Romania is in the E.U

Are we going to have to explain the difference between Roma and Romanians again?

Ooh, can I submit one, you accused me of misquoting you when all I did was quote your post before you edited it.
    No, because you failed to see the humour behind my question.
    Granted, it wasn't quite obvious, but it was meant in a jokey way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Nodin wrote: »

Apart from political corruption. In fact, one could see a correspondence between his fixing of some problems when mentions of others arise....

Yeah we're not hearing much about the Betancourt affair in Ireland now!

Funkfield wrote: »
    Why are you bringing the catholic church into it?

Roman catholic church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Illegal Roma and illegal Roma camps are two different things.

The vast majority of Roma in Western Europe are EU citizens from Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary and Greece. Greeks can live and work anywhere; Hungarians can live and work anywhere except Austria and Germany, and Romanians and Bulgarians have freedom of movement, but not guaranteed freedom to work. So based on statistics and common sense, the majority of Roma in Western Europe are EU citizens and not necessarily illegal immigrants.

If Sarkozy wanted to crack down on illegal camps that are full of Roma and/or other immigrants then fine, enforce the law; the French government did this in Calais recently. The problem with this proposal is that it's targeting a specific group - Roma - rather than a specific problem - squatting. I'd also add that squatter camps are NOT always a "foreigner" or "traveller" issue - there are a lot of homeless people in France - in Paris in particular - and 'camps' are fairly common. Therefore, the problem with Sarkozy isn't that he wants to enforce the law, it's that he's choosing to make squatting a Roma issue rather than a broader social problem - and in turn appealing to the worst instincts of a significant percentage of the French citizenry.

Finally, I have to say I find it pretty horrifying that so many Europeans have such short memories when it comes to state-led attacks on specific "problem" ethnic groups.

knird evol wrote: »
    Let me make this real simple for you, you complete ****ing moron

I do not want or support Roma people being in this country. I would love them to leave.

If you could now please stop directing posts at me as if I am defending them it would be great. Thanks. You idiot.

Youtube Phoenix nights half a sixpence send the buggers back I'm too tired to actually post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I would have thought that anyone in a country illegally should expect to be removed, be they Nigerian, Chinese or, for that matter, Irish. Why pick on the Roma? Couldn't be anything to do with the fact that Sarkozy has seen his ratings slide recently, could it? Populist stunts against particular sections of society have never damaged a politican's popularity after all. Or am I being too cynical?

funny, you mention a list of countires with a history of progroms against the roma. Even France has a nasty history in the treatment of Roma.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Good on France for doing this, we should follow suit here.
    Actually France not the first. Hitler did it 70 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Actually France not the first. Hitler did it 70 years ago.

You cant just say that. There's no comparison. Really , please dont just fling out quotes like that. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

So based on statistics and common sense, the majority of Roma in Western Europe are EU citizens and not necessarily illegal immigrants.

What statistics? Btw the citizenship of a person is only one aspect to illegal immigration. In many continental European countries you must report your presence to the authorities if you intend to stay a prolonged period of time etc, even for EU citizens.
    If Sarkozy wanted to crack down on illegal camps that are full of Roma and/or other immigrants then fine, enforce the law; the French government did this in Calais recently.

That's what they are planning.
    Finally, I have to say I find it pretty horrifying that so many Europeans have such short memories when it comes to state-led attacks on specific "problem" ethnic groups.

You mean illegals right? Or did I miss something about legal Roma in France being deported? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

funny, you mention a list of countires with a history of progroms against the roma. Even France has a nasty history in the treatment of Roma.

I wonder how much history plays a role in movement west. When I lived in Spain, an extended family of Roma lived in a park where I used to walk my friend's dog. Apparently they used to live in Italy, but ended up fleeing to Spain because the Italian government has basically given the green light to vigilante groups to attack Roma and other migrant worker camps. They reportedly made less money in Spain than they did in Italy, but at least people left them alone.

Advertisement