Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France to expel Roma illegals - should we follow?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If they're illegal immigrants and are living in illegal settlements the laws should be applied. However the two issues are mutually inclusive, you could be a French Romani living in an illegal settlement.

I think Sarkozy is only using this to appease the far right however as he's showing no signs of similar moves against illegal Algerians, Pakistanis, West Africans etc etc as he knows this would see a repeat of the Paris riots again.
    Interior Minister Brice Hortefeux said Thursday on RTL radio that over the next three months he would use decrees to dismantle about 300 illegal camps, of which 200 belong to Roma. These camps are the source of “illicit trafficking, children exploited for begging, prostitution or delinquency,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/world/europe/30france.html?src=mv

Not specifically targetting Roma.
    InTheTrees wrote: »
    Yeah lets all do it like the germans, they've have such a great track record of dealing with minorities right?

:confused:
    http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp140/Mayo07J/picard-facepalm.jpg

Nobody is going to a concentration camp to be gassed.
    I generally agree that Nazi references are over-used on boards. But the overtones in this story are unbelievably nasty, especially since - as you pointed out - it's clear that this isn't simply a Roma issue. But Sarkozy chose to emphasize that particular aspect to curry political favor, and he (and others) should know better - especially given the current economic situation.

Why? Because people may draw redundant references to Nazi Germany?

This isn't genocide or anything of the kind.

I have no idea why people think that the French are going to exterminate any people of any race. Where are you all getting this idea from (and please don't say Hitler. Sarkozy is not a genocidal war monger)?

Say you invite someone over to your house and they start stealing things from you, and generally causing trouble. What do you do?
    You ask them to leave.

Now put that on a national scale.
    Sarkozy is doing what any rational person would do. He's getting rid of the trouble makers who have invaded his country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

The french are very open minded and don't mind foreigners but if you go there to scrounge off the people and government and be a pest or don't integrate you can **** right off, what's wrong with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭last name ever. first name greatest

Terry wrote: »
    I admire Sarkozy for his take no crap attitude.
    First the burkha, and now this.

The Roma contribute nothing to society. Their society is based around crime. They are, in my opinion, nothing but pests.

Kudos to the French for once again doing the right thing.

wow racist much? No problem with you having an opinion on them but stating that their society is based around crime and that they contribute nothing to society is like saying Nigerians are all criminals and what have you and all.

Pretty racist to make sweeping general statements of the few bad apples that make the head lines or have crossed paths with you :( :mad:

wow racist much? No problem with you having an opinion on them but stating that their society is based around crime and that they contribute nothing to society is like saying Nigerians are all criminals and what have you and all.

Pretty racist to make sweeping general statements of the few bad apples that make the head lines or have crossed paths with you :( :mad:
    I wouldn't call it racist. I'd call it pointing out the obvious. Things that I witness on a day to day basis with my own two eyes.

If you think I'm racist, then so be it. That's just, like, your opinion, man.

I wouldn't call it racist. I'd call it pointing out the obvious. Things that I witness on a day to day basis with my own two eyes.

If you think I'm racist, then so be it. That's just, like, your opinion, man.

Racist don't call it racism. They are just saying how it is as they see it. Like the good folk that they are.

• Advertisement

Racist don't call it racism. They are just saying how it is as they see it. Like the good folk that they are.
    I'm sorry that you are going to be banned soon, but I don't really like being called racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Einhard wrote: »
    So now government policy on immigration and policing should be based on what the majority like or dislike? Lots of Irish peopel dislike travellers. Lots of Americans dislike atheists. Lots of Australians dislike Aborigines. Shoud their respective governments target said groups to protect the majority from what they dislike?

Surely levels of immigration should be agreed by the people. The people are supposedly sovereign, within their sovereign borders. The idea that the are not to be consulted fairly anti-democratic. The other groups you mentioned - travellers, Aborigines, or atheists are already in the country.

If there are no borders than the political classes are effectively dissolving the people and electing another, to quote Brecht

Where exactly are their countries of origin? If they are EU citizens, surely they can't be illegal?

Most EU states did not open up to Romania, afaik. Anyway people can be deported if they commit a crime, although I am not sure of any evidence of criminality here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Some of the scobes have been trying to oust the Romani's for a while now

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13111789@N00/3695579692/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13111789@N00/2905191206/

Sorry but how can there be any value in this photo without speaking to both sides first . You made out that its a racist attack ( it might well and probably is one ) but what if I posted that picture with a heading like this .....
    Woman Attacked for stealing handbag ! ....... or

Woman in love triangle attacks ex partners new lover !

While your photo seems to explain a situation , the truth is without speaking to both sides anything could be going on there. Thats the art of a good editor ;)

PS Im not arguing the right and wrong of a rasict attack here , im arguing the use of the photos. Plus anybody who strikes someone else holding a child is a complete and utter scumbag. All im saying is she might not be hitting her for the reason the photographer gives

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Sorry but how can there be any value in this photo without speaking to both sides first . You made out that its a racist attack ( it might well and probably is one ) but what if I posted that picture with a heading like this .....
    Woman Attacked for stealing handbag ! ....... or

Woman in love triangle attacks ex partners new lover !

While your photo seems to explain a situation , the truth is without speaking to both sides anything could be going on there. Thats the art of a good editor ;)

PS Im not arguing the right and wrong of a rasict attack here , im arguing the use of the photos. Plus anybody who strikes someone else holding a child is a complete and utter scumbag. All im saying is she might not be hitting her for the reason the photographer gives

Indeed.

You reminded me of this from my media masters days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Why does mention of the nazis trigger most of us to check out the 'red' button - the nazis brought alot of things on board in health care, rockets and NASA, and present world outlook - whilst they were distasteful at their time, in general the world (especially those elite chaps) were advantaged by them

pity they got to gassing gays and catholics - good job they never made it to Ireland ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

SKY NEWS FLASH: Romania to expel illegal Irish.

Ruu wrote: »
    SKY NEWS FLASH: Romania to expel illegal Irish.

and illegal romas ;)

you missed a couple of posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

sligopark wrote: »
    Why does mention of the nazis trigger most of us to check out the 'red' button - the nazis brought alot of things on board in health care, rockets and NASA, and present world outlook - whilst they were distasteful at their time, in general the world (especially those elite chaps) were advantaged by them

pity they got to gassing gays and catholics - good job they never made it to Ireland ;)

Where's the camera , thats not a real comment is it !!!!!!

Okay come out now , the games over :p

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Where's the camera , thats not a real comment is it !!!!!!

Okay come out now , the games over :p

it is actually - bar the negatives of gassing jews catholics romas and homosexuals the world embraced all the advancements made - rocket science, physiological measurements, eugenics and computer (IBM) advancements with hardly a mention

I am not nazi nor BNP advocate but the reality is what it is

fryup wrote: »
    gassing catholics:confused: they didn't gas catholics......sure most of the nazi top brass were catholic including Hitler

have you heard of max kolbe?

Hitler was a catholic LOL

Nazis didn't hunt down and gas catholics - were have you been living? Next thing I ll hear they didn't gas gypsies and gays

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

it is actually - bar the negatives of gassing jews catholics romas and homosexuals the world embraced all the advancements made - rocket science, physiological measurements, eugenics and computer (IBM) advancements with hardly a mention

gassing catholics:confused: they didn't gas catholics, sure most of the nazi top brass were catholic including Hitler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I think we should deport Irish people outta here, It's them who seem intent on making things worse.

also the world didn't embrace eugenics you silly racist sausage.

gassing catholics:confused: they didn't gas catholics, sure most of the nazi top brass were catholic including Hitler

Eh yes they did by the truck full too - eh Hitler Catholic?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . ... . . '. . . . . .``~. . .. . . . ,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

need to do some real reading

also the world didn't embrace eugenics you silly racist sausage.

ah sure of course they didn't - abortion on demand for genetic disorders?

sausage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

lol straw clutching.

• Advertisement

they gassed politcal opponents catholics were not targeted ....half of germany is catholic do you think they would gas they're own people

and yes he was a catholic you need to do some reading

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Unpopular Prime Minister endorses populist policies shocker.

Had high hopes for Sarkozy to reform France, he has been a major disappointment so far.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Well done France! I just wish that the authorties here would take the same stance, and get rid of these cockroaches.

There are a number of roma living in a house across the road from me. They moved in about 6 months ago and they are nothing but a curse since day one. There is at least 12 of them in the house (i think its a 3 bed house) and the racket and mess they make is unreal.

They keep throwing their refuse in the middle of the green area, their kids are amlost feral and think that its perfectly ok to use my neighbours and my gardens as a urinal. They do not seem to be able to speak normally, and scream and roar at each other morning, noon and night. I have seen their house searched by gardai on 3 separate occasions. Two of them were arrested for breaking into a house an adjacent estate, but I dont think they have been before a court yet. They are all barred from the local shops for shoplifting.

We are almost certain that the children have never been to school. ( My partner is unemployed for the last 3 months and said the kids spend their days outside throwing whatever they can get their hands on at passing cars and pedestrian. We (us and other neighbours) have complained to the council about the mess on the green, but they just come along and clean it up and yet they keep doing it.

I know that I will probably be slated as a racist, but they are the most ignorant people I have ever encountered. They are rude, nasty and have made no effort to contribute anything to society. There are plenty of other foreign nationals in our estate; Ivorian, Nigerian, Polish, Estonian etc and all are incredibly polite, friendly and neighbourly. All will say 'Hello' and stop for a chat or whatever, but the crowd across the road have made no effort, despite the attempts of their neighbours.

/rant.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'm sorry that you are going to be banned soon, but I don't really like being called racist.

Then perhaps you should think about that when you come out with this sort of thing.
    The Roma contribute nothing to society. Their society is based around crime. They are, in my opinion, nothing but pests.

and yes he was a catholic you need to do some reading

may have been catholic (ie WAS) and YES did target catholics for gassing but hey today given the witch hunt on catholicism its not PC to point this out

as for reading about the holocaust in its entirety I am quite sure given your npostings you are not so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Catholics who oppossed the regime were targeted. However catholics were not marked out for persecution or extermination en masse.

Nazis didn't hunt down and gas catholics - were have you been living? Next thing I ll hear they didn't gas gypsies and gays

LOL

Hitler was atheist by the time he came to power. The Nazis were voted for by the largely protestant part of the German population. The German Catholic Social party took the Catholic vote, and most Nazis were of protestant background. As adults Nazi party members tended to be irreligious, some were pagan ( which isn't the same), and Nazzism can be seen as a eratz religion in and of of itself.

About 90% of the Polish population of priests were killed.

may have been catholic (ie WAS) and YES did target catholics for gassing but hey today given the witch hunt on catholicism its not PC to point this out

as for reading about the holocaust in its entirety I am quite sure given your npostings you are not so

may have been:confused:he was until the day he died

Political opponents were gassed, whether they be catholic, protestant, jewish, communist whatever.

Catholics were not singled out like the way the jews & gypsys were.

Catholics were not singled out like the way the jews & gypsys were.

They were in Poland.
    The Catholic Church in Poland was especially hard hit by the Nazis. The Roman Catholic Church was suppressed throughout Poland because historically it had been one of the primary supporters of Polish nationalist forces fighting for Poland's independence from outside domination.

Throughout the country, monasteries, convents, seminaries, schools and other religious institutions were shut down.

The Germans treated the Church most harshly in the annexed regions, as they systematically closed churches there; most priests were either killed, imprisoned, or deported to the General Government. Between 1939 and 1945, an estimated 3,000 members of the Catholic clergy in Poland were killed; of these, 1,992 died in concentration camps, 787 of them at Dachau, including bishop Michał Kozal.

No exception was made for Poland's higher clergy. Bishop Michael Kozal of Wladislava died in Dachau; Bishop Nowowiejski of Płock and his suffragan Bishop Wetmanski both died in prison in Poland; Bishop Fulman of Lublin and his suffragan Bishop Goral were sent to a concentration camp in Germany.

In 1939, 80% of the Catholic clergy and five of the bishops of the Warthegau region had been deported to concentration camps. In Wrocław, 49.2% of the clergy were dead; in Chełmno, 47.8%; in Łódź, 36.8%; in Poznań, 31.1%. In the Warsaw diocese, 212 priests were killed; 92 were murdered in Wilno, 81 in Lwów, 30 in Kraków, 13 in Kielce. Seminarians who were not killed were shipped off to Germany as forced labor.

Now can we end this off-topic ness.

• Advertisement

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN
    Sorry.

LOL
    Yep. Having read about him, I chose his as my confirmation name.
    The dude who confirmed me is one of them there thingies in Rome now. What are they called? The promotion after Arch Bishop. Seemed quite impressed with my knowledge of St. Maximilian.
    He creeped me out though.

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    Well done France! I just wish that the authorties here would take the same stance, and get rid of these cockroaches.

There are a number of roma living in a house across the road from me. They moved in about 6 months ago and they are nothing but a curse since day one. There is at least 12 of them in the house (i think its a 3 bed house) and the racket and mess they make is unreal.

They keep throwing their refuse in the middle of the green area, their kids are amlost feral and think that its perfectly ok to use my neighbours and my gardens as a urinal. They do not seem to be able to speak normally, and scream and roar at each other morning, noon and night. I have seen their house searched by gardai on 3 separate occasions. Two of them were arrested for breaking into a house an adjacent estate, but I dont think they have been before a court yet. They are all barred from the local shops for shoplifting.

We are almost certain that the children have never been to school. ( My partner is unemployed for the last 3 months and said the kids spend their days outside throwing whatever they can get their hands on at passing cars and pedestrian. We (us and other neighbours) have complained to the council about the mess on the green, but they just come along and clean it up and yet they keep doing it.

I know that I will probably be slated as a racist, but they are the most ignorant people I have ever encountered. They are rude, nasty and have made no effort to contribute anything to society. There are plenty of other foreign nationals in our estate; Ivorian, Nigerian, Polish, Estonian etc and all are incredibly polite, friendly and neighbourly. All will say 'Hello' and stop for a chat or whatever, but the crowd across the road have made no effort, despite the attempts of their neighbours.

/rant.....
    Without wishing to sound racist, but I suggest we get rid of those Ivorians. ****ers stole our flag and defaced it by turning it upside down.

/not a racist.
    Nodin wrote: »
    Then perhaps you should think about that when you come out with this sort of thing.
    I stand by my opinion.

Advertisement