Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France to expel Roma illegals - should we follow?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

gurramok wrote: »

I stated this earlier and no-one picked up on it. If you are from the states of Bulgaria and Romania, you are allowed to be in another EU country for 3 months max without a work visa. Same probably applies to France as they did not open their borders like Ireland did.

Wrong.

Romanians and Bulgarians are treated here exactly the same as France.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Nope, there are French travellers(gypsies) and there are Roma who are not French. The primary problem is the Roma hence the term 'illegal immigrants'.

How do you know they are not in France illegally? Do they have work permits?:rolleyes:

No, you are missing the point again. The PC brigade want to target ALL illegal immigrants, not just Roma.

If Roma are EU25 citizens, they cannot be deported. Part of the other EU2, yes, if they don't fulfil the criteria.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

K-9 wrote: »
    Wrong.

Romanians and Bulgarians are treated here exactly the same as France.

You're wrong about the Irish law on them. Remember the Ballymun roundabout, it was highlighted back then about the 3 month rule.

What is the French law on them?
    No, you are missing the point again. The PC brigade want to target ALL illegal immigrants, not just Roma.

If Roma are EU25 citizens, they cannot be deported. Part of the other EU2, yes, if they don't fulfil the criteria.

They broke the criteria so can be deported just like the Ballymun roundabout incident.

Surprised at you K-9 not knowing the legalities of Roma(Romanian/Bulgarian citizens) in this country.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ireland-deports-roma-after-standoff-over-roundabout-458753.html
    Irish law wrote:
    What they(Roma) hadn't reckoned with was legislation decreeing that Romanians and Bulgarians cannot work in Ireland without a permit, and can only stay legally for three months at a time before having to prove employment. Nor could they claim benefits, thanks to another law barring anybody - including Irish citizens - from claiming welfare until they have lived legally in the country for two years.

As France never opened her borders, its quite obvious the rules wouldn't have been easier in France.

Surprised at you K-9 not knowing the legalities of Roma(Romanian/Bulgarian citizens) in this country.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ireland-deports-roma-after-standoff-over-roundabout-458753.html

As France never opened her borders, its quite obvious the rules wouldn't have been easier in France.

Wtf? We didn't open our borders either, just like France.

What is the exact difference between us and France regarding Romanians and Bulgarians?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

What is the exact difference between us and France regarding Romanians and Bulgarians?

They are humans and Europeans and so are we...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Some Romas came into my shop the other day and instead of just pilfering everything they could get their hands as per usual your one picks up a mug and brings it to the counter to pay for it! I was shocked. An honest roma I thought...

... and then out comes the 100 euro note :rolleyes:

tried the same thing 2 weeks later.

Woah! A dramatic U-turn by the guy who was the sole defender of romas in the last roma bashing thread. Let me guess, the romas you worked with robbed your wallet and now you've seen the light :D
    I was trying to be impartial in my role as an AH mod. I am no longer an AH mod.

Well the problem is, they aren't one nationality. If you read the thread, posters have pointed out the problem with this approach.

Do you have a problem with treating all illegal immigrants the same, regardless of race or nationality? Apply the same criteria to everybody?

If the same test is applied to all illegal immigrants, more get deported, not just Roma.

There in lies the stupidity of the proposals. I had high hopes for Sarkozy, thought he could reform a country that needs serious wakening up, but this is a "shoe lift" policy. All style and no substance.
    Was that deliberate? :)

We opened our borders willy nilly to all the Eastern Bloc bar Romania & Bulgaria where the work permit rule as explained was required for them. Most Roma are from Bulgaria & Romania, you know that.

On the French, they never opened their borders to Romania & Bulgaria and one would have to assume with certain correctness that a work visa is required to visit France. Those Roma(without work permits) described in illegal camps in France have been there more than 3 months so they must be illegal aliens to the French, yes?

You know well what i'm saying and is nitpicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

orourkeda wrote: »
    Romania is in the E.U

You're clearly out of your depth with this discussion - move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I love France, they are the only country in the EU to have the balls in doing something crazy and then passing it into law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Actually France not the first. Hitler did it 70 years ago.

:confused: Hitler tried to change a law in order to speed up the removal of illegal immigrants?
    I thought he invaded Poland, started WWII, killed hundreds of thousands of people, and enslaved others in concentration camps until they were gassed!

Apologies for the mix-up - these 2 things are clearly the exact same... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I think we should deport Irish people outta here, It's them who seem intent on making things worse.

also the world didn't embrace eugenics you silly racist sausage.

ever hear of the Kenel Club? Dog breeding is based on eugenics.

How can you treat all the immigrants as the same when one particular group does not work and leeches from the state and its people for a living?

Thats what the PC brigade forgets, this particular group as per topic is not welcome yet other immigrant groups who work and contribute to society are.

because all illegal immigrants are breaking the same law?

Terry wrote: »
    I admire Sarkozy for his take no crap attitude.
    First the burkha, and now this.

The Roma contribute nothing to society. Their society is based around crime. They are, in my opinion, nothing but pests.

Kudos to the French for once again doing the right thing.

You deny racism yet make a sweeping generalisation like that? I say if it quacks like a duck ...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just learned today Sweden are ejecting 50 begging Roma on the grounds "will not support themselves on honest grounds".

I was trying to be impartial in my role as an AH mod. I am no longer an AH mod.

Was that deliberate? :)

Yep. Sums it up for me. The policy is the political version of shoe lifts.
    We opened our borders willy nilly to all the Eastern Bloc bar Romania & Bulgaria where the work permit rule as explained was required for them. Most Roma are from Bulgaria & Romania, you know that.

On the French, they never opened their borders to Romania & Bulgaria and one would have to assume with certain correctness that a work visa is required to visit France. Those Roma(without work permits) described in illegal camps in France have been there more than 3 months so they must be illegal aliens to the French, yes?

You know well what i'm saying and is nitpicking.

It isn't nit picking, just stating that we have similar systems re Romania and Bulgaria. I've no problem with deporting illegals as stated ad infinitum on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

biko wrote: »
    Just learned today Sweden are ejecting 50 begging Roma on the grounds "will not support themselves on honest grounds".

Feckin' racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,051 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Feckin' racists.

Isn't it racist to call the Swedes racist?:confused:

:pac:

It isn't nit picking, just stating that we have similar systems re Romania and Bulgaria. I've no problem with deporting illegals as stated ad infinitum on this thread.

Good to hear you are respecting French laws. Here's some more info about the work restrictions on Romanian & Bulgarian citizens in France so the French are right deporting illegal immigrants. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3513889.stm

http://www.capitaltaxconsulting.com/international-tax/france/french-visas-and-work-permits/
    Nationals of the EU/EEA Member States and Switzerland are able to work without restriction in France, except for citizens of the two most recent members Bulgaria and Romania.

Bulgarian and Romanian citizens carrying out paid employment still require a work permit during the third transitional period (1 May 2009 – 30 April 2011); employees working in France for more than three months also still require a residence permit. The type of residence permit and work permit depends on the length of the employment contract.

To obtain a work permit the following criteria have to be fulfilled:

* Nobody already on the French labour market is available for the position. This criterion does not apply to certain key occupations where a shortage of labour has been recognised;
    * Compliance by the employer with employment regulations;
    * Equality of treatment in terms of pay;
    * Adequate accommodation conditions of the employee.

Damn French racists:rolleyes:

What the French are doing is enforcing the law and all we get is cries of racism from the usual quarters.

Now if the Irish govt started enforcing the same law about illegals(you know who) from Romania and Bulgaria, it would be better for our society.

Good to hear you are respecting French laws. Here's some more info about the work restrictions on Romanian & Bulgarian citizens in France so the French are right deporting illegal immigrants. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3513889.stm

http://www.capitaltaxconsulting.com/international-tax/france/french-visas-and-work-permits/

Are you arguing with yourself again?

That was always my stance.

• Advertisement

Are you arguing with yourself again?

That was always my stance.

Nope, you now see why the Roma are targetted, no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Long and short answer YES

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If our Government deported ANYONE who is living here illegally they would be highly commended. People like me are sick of all these illegal migrants living openly in and off our country.

You just have to look at the TV shows about Australian immigration to see how PC and kind they are to those attempting to enter without papers, or illegally...not

Our Government is too lazy to get a grip on this problem, and if they don't soon, it will only get worse, when the illegals are kicked out of France, Germany and Sweden, they will arrive here, because their relatives and friends will tell them how nice we are to those who have no papers and who break our laws.

We are total mugs in this country. Applying the law is fundamental to our society, but no, those immigrant support groups and liberal agendists appear to have far more power than the ordinary Joe who wants this sort of scam cleaned up for the sake of law and order overall.

I realise that the law is broken every day by our own lot, but at least they are citizens of our country and somewhere along the line may have contributed to society.

Again, I say our Government is terrified of the liberal brigade and are scared of being seen as either racist or politically incorrect. Little do they know that the vast majority of Irish citizens would welcome a crackdown on illegal immigrants, and would also like to see appropriate sentencing for heinous crimes such as child abuse, rape, manslaughter etc. etc. which seem to merit a suspended or quite short sentence these days.

And if anyone calls me the "R" word for what I have said, I couldn't care less. That bloody word has stifled so much debate in this country on many topics, it is unreal. I will speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

OK I have read to page 8 and cant find a definition of ROMA gypsies - So I have gathered that they are not ALL Romanian but can someone please explain the difference.

Being a business owner I know these people who frequently arrive in large groups, spread out over the premises while 2 of them (the widest and tallest) stand as close to you as possible asking stupid questions while the other 46 of them try and fit every item you are selling into their knickers. I, up until now, used to believe they were Romanians, after this thread I now believe they are roma gypsies but are not from Romania??

Can someone explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

ardinn wrote: »
    OK I have read to page 8 and cant find a definition of ROMA gypsies - So I have gathered that they are not ALL Romanian but can someone please explain the difference.

Being a business owner I know these people who frequently arrive in large groups, spread out over the premises while 2 of them (the widest and tallest) stand as close to you as possible asking stupid questions while the other 46 of them try and fit every item you are selling into their knickers. I, up until now, used to believe they were Romanians, after this thread I now believe they are roma gypsies but are not from Romania??

Can someone explain.

Roma gypsies are wide spread across Europe.They have their own language,but they adopt the language and culture of the country they are in.
    They are Romanian gypsies only by the living in the country and speaking the language do they adopt the origin of the country they are in.Other than that all over Europe they are widely disliked.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

caseyann wrote: »
    Roma gypsies are wide spread across Europe.They have their own language,but they adopt the language and culture of the country they are in.They are Romanian gypsies only by the living in the country and speaking the language do they adopt the origin of the country they are in.Other than that all over Europe they are widely disliked.

Really???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

If our (.....)I will speak.

There was one camp of illegal Roma here, all of who were expelled. Quite what your rant is based on, I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

PapaQuebec wrote: »
    Really???

Yes really.

Their Romani language is divided into several dialects, which add up to an estimated number of speakers larger than two million.[18] The total number of Romani people is at least twice as large (several times as large according to high estimates), and many Romani are native speakers of the language current in their country of residence, or of mixed languages combining the two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

If our Government deported ANYONE who is living here illegally they would be highly commended. .

But you forget that this was precisely Bertie Ahern's vision of a multi cultural Ireland, he hated us so much and or was so incompetent that he signed an agreement that any child born on Irish Soil was Irish.

He wanted to make our country ANYTHING but what it was.

There were calls for treason for the first time in our recent political crises, I'd also like to analogise that Bertie or Nero "Fiddled while Rome Burnt"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

gbee wrote: »
    But you forget that this was precisely Bertie Ahern's vision of a multi cultural Ireland, he hated us so much and or was so incompetent that he signed an agreement that any child born on Irish Soil was Irish.

...which is the way it is in America, which is probably what influenced him.

Advertisement