Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to cycle in Dublin and around

• 30-07-2010 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Dear all,
    I use my bicycle in Dublin for my daily movements,
    but I'd like to start using my bicycles to explore Dublin
    and its neighbourhood.
    Would you give me any advice on how to find routes?
    If you know any good website or book
    that contains routes and curiosities and things to
    do when cycling it would be really appreciated.
    Cheers, -Luca

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

ha, where do you think we are central europe. we have nothing useful like that in this country!!

where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 eroeurbano

Sorry I couldn't get the sense of your message..
    I didn't mean to be offensive in any way, just wanted
    a few advices from Irish born people.

I'm based in Dublin, that's why I'm looking specific information for Dublin.
    Cheers, -Luca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Actually there is a book that contains routes in and around Dublin. I saw it in the Winding Stair about a year ago, but I didn't buy it then and now I can't remember its name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

eroeurbano wrote: »
    Sorry I couldn't get the sense of your message..
    I didn't mean to be offensive in any way, just wanted
    a few advices from Irish born people.

Cheers, -Luca
    no offence was taking, i just made a joke, as good as ireland is, we have yet to really embrace the cycling culture as mush as you might be used to. phoenix park is a great easy cycle. also heading straight out the coast road, through blackrock, dun laoghaire and an to dalkey kiliney is good. best was is to explore, theyre always the best ones.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Milan Cobian

Eroeurbano, I think funkyjebus is joking, just Irish sense of humour!
    Try this book:
    http://readeroffers.irishtimes.com/i-gg-itgmw55-baf-1/Leisure-Cycling-Near-Dublin/
    Most of the routes might not be suitable if you don't have a car for access though.
    Some nice routes in Dublin:
    coast road from Fairview to Howth (there is a separate cycle path for most of the route).
    coast road through Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire, Sandycove, Dalkey and the Vico Road to Killiney (there is a seperate cycle path from Booterstown to Blackrock and the rest is on reasonably quiet roads).
    Along the Royal Canal to Maynooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think that's the book I saw, though it didn't have that cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 eroeurbano

Thanks guys really appreciated :)
    Sorry if I didn't get the humour, I'm always a bit worried of say something I shouldn't :)
    I hope I'll be able to cycle a little bit in the weekend, thanks for your advices!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    I think there are saved routes on map my ride.
    Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Guide books? do people still use them? :D

Try here

set your location as "Dublin, Ireland" and activity to "cycling". You'll find loads of routes to try out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

http://ridewithgps.com/ has an increasing amount of routes.

There's always the Phoenix Park and Islandbridge.

My own favourite is the coast road from Fairview, through Clontarf to Sutton, before heading for Baldoyle, Portmarnock and Malahide. You can make it a bit harder by throwing in a lap or two of Howth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

mapmyride.com has lots of routes around dublin, just do a search on the site.

I'd recommend cycling the new Royal Canal route, and around Phoenix Park, and also along the coast by Fairview Park out towards Howth Head.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

eroeurbano wrote: »

Most people here are too. But where exactly in Dublin are you living?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

click on the link below, meetup.com for cycling ;)

Advertisement