Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread making machine - Good or bad?

Options
  • 30-07-2010 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭

I was thinking of getting a bread machine but just wanted to know from people that have or had one if there any good

I am into making my own food and juices so I dont think I will be leaving it in the press after one use if it makes nice bread, Just that I dont know anybody that has one and im not sure if they are popular.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's an epic thread here ... http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055352502&highlight=breadmaker

Basically the Panasonic machines are the best .. I have an SD-253 now for a good few years now and it gets used at least once but often twice a week and is still going strong. I wouldn't be without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭line6

if you have ever made your own bread on a regular basis as i have then no machine can knead as well as you can by hand

having said this bread making machines are great and come very close

making bread with these machines is actually easier than going out and buying it believe it or not, with the machine being easy to clean as well

i recommend the lidl one that comes in from time to time, and to use the ready made mix that lidl supply as well

the continental flours are much better for bread and the ones used in their readymix are no exception

there are other makes of bread making machine available but they are much more expensive and i have never tried them

hth

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I too have a Panasonic and it's the best thing I've ever bought for the kitchen. I use it all the time. It's also great for making pizza dough.
    One of the nicest loaves is done on the French bread setting - it's light and fluffy on the inside and crisp on the outside, like a vienna roll but nicer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,505 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Alun wrote: »
    There's an epic thread here ... http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055352502&highlight=breadmaker

Basically the Panasonic machines are the best .. I have an SD-253 now for a good few years now and it gets used at least once but often twice a week and is still going strong. I wouldn't be without it.

Same experience here. I started off with a cheap Lidl / Aldi breadmaker but moved on to a Panasonic SD-255 about a year or two ago. Not cheap at about €140, but worth it imho. It's hard to beat the smell of freshly baked bread in your home. I still tend to make 1 or 2 loaves a week. Surprisingly young kids (not the most adventurous when it comes to food) seem to love it. I do all sorts of breads and add all sorts of seeds sometimes, but indeed the Lidl ready made mixes are pretty good (at €1.49 for 2 full size loaves). Looking forward to making an Italian Ciabatta (to accompany the cooking club Thai hot chicken and noodle soup) tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭Ban Ki Moon

unkel wrote: »
    Same experience here. I started off with a cheap Lidl / Aldi breadmaker but moved on to a Panasonic SD-255 about a year or two ago. Not cheap at about €140, but worth it imho. It's hard to beat the smell of freshly baked bread in your home. I still tend to make 1 or 2 loaves a week. Surprisingly young kids (not the most adventurous when it comes to food) seem to love it. I do all sorts of breads and add all sorts of seeds sometimes, but indeed the Lidl ready made mixes are pretty good (at €1.49 for 2 full size loaves). Looking forward to making an Italian Ciabatta (to accompany the cooking club Thai hot chicken and noodle soup) tomorrow :)
    Sounds nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

All you need is a bowl and some counter top.

At this stage I'm making batches of dough up to ten pounds weight at a time. My Kenwood mixer can't handle that much dough and I doubt a bread maker could?

I like to try recipes from Richard Bertinet and Peter Reinhart, plus bits I've picked up from my Brother In Law's Mother! She's a great cook and really helped me starting out to get the feel for how loose the dough should be.

Basic bread is flour,water, salt and yeast+time to rise. Makes much better bread than shop bought and once that's going well you can add oils, seeds etc. to the basic recipe.

I'm playing with Baquettes and Cob loaves atm. with the odd very savoury seed bread. Try black onion seeds in the mix for bread that's great with soups and cheese.

Advertisement