Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verdict on July???

Options
  • 30-07-2010 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭

so what is yere view on July ? in my opinion im relieved it was not a complete washout like last three but obviously disappointed at the lack of sunshine. still at least the cycly of last 3 years was broken...kind off:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

A very good month, much needed rain fell, not too wet or dry, fairly warm overall.

Probably the best month so far this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

A nice interlude between the sunshine and good weather of may and june, and the expected heatwave ( im being hopeful) of august!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Dissapointing sunshine wise. Very wet middle month, the expected fine spell for the end of the month wasn't particuarlly great either.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Compared to the last couple of years, I think the east coast and Dublin area in particular really did pretty well this month.

We have not had the murk the west coast has had and if you look at Met E stats, rainfall for the month has been above average but (well) below most other stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Rubbish. Windy, muggy, not enough sunlight, and a huge amount of rain. Bring back June!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

SuprSi wrote: »
    Rubbish.

I did say compared to the last couple of years. :cool:

Just for rainfall, look at Dublin Airport (as of yesterday) total rain for July 2010 = 73mm against July 2009 = 165mm.

I don't know where you are in Dublin but overall (at least here) this July has been much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,515 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Verdict for July: guilty, sentenced to 11 months in climate prison with no chance of parole.

Verdict for July: guilty, sentenced to 11 months in climate prison with no chance of parole.

:D Ah MT, it's not that bad.................well maybe a suspended sentence? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Serious lack of thunder this month and for that alone it is to be condemned by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

July was great as it ended the drought, lovely green grass bursting out of the fields now, compared to the horrible tan of damage that they had last month.

I love the weather.

As Joe B...I think, it's the only weather you got :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Disappointing month in the Limerick area. rather wet and dull month. Temperature overall was above normal the highs were not exciting. Probably only 5 or 6 days with highs in excess of 20c. As a summer month it scored 40% giving an overall score of 55% for summer 2010 so far. A slight improvement from the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Well another 31mm of rain fell in Sligo from 11pm to 11am bringing the July monthly total to 191mm. On the percentage scale this is 280% of the normal rain for the month here. Most of the rainfall damage was done in the midmonth period when thundery downpours brought rainfall of over 6 times the average on the week coming up to the 15th. After the 17th or 18th things got drier but it still misted most days in Sligo and then there was that angry downpour this morning.

Giving the month a percent mark Id give it 20% with the only mark for the temperatures. Although it was 7c one night, the rest of the nights did not go below 9c. It was 13c on most nights. Daytime temperatures were less spectacular with just under 22c being our highest and the most temperature was 18 to 19c though this has fallen slightly to 18 or 17c in the last few days meaning the warmest days of the Summer may be over for Sligo. The average temperature for Sligo for the month was 15.3c primarily due to the mild nights though the days were slightly above normal too.

Id give June 2010 85% in Sligo as it was very dry warm and sunny so if I add the 2 together Summer 2010 scores 52.5% here so far and last year was probably around the 30% mark so at least its beating that.

Windwise it was calm enough except for some gusty episodes during the thunderstorms in midmonth and there was a night just near the 20th I think when there was a real gale blowing of 50mph or 80kph gusts. The wind was primarily from the Atlantic for the whole of the month only coming from the Eastern part of the country on the odd occasion when the depression was actually over us. Being to the northwest as the depressions mainly were mean that the South and East of the country enjoyed the best of the weather and the Northwest was worst off.

Finally a very dull month here in Sligo with sunshine almost non existant in the last 10 days and the figure being just over 50% of the normal. Hopefully August is bringing a brighter theme

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very dissapointing month, nothing of any note happened apart from loads of rain mid-month and a general lack of sunshine and good temperatures. Thankfully it wasnt quite as wet as the past 3 summers but so far we have not had temperatures above 22C in my region at least. Even during the real bad summers we would have the odd very warm or hot day but so far this July and indeed all summer there hasnt been any single day were you could call it properly warm/hot. Hopefully August will bring some proper Summer temperatures and sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Grey, Dull, Wet and Miserable - marginally better than last year, but not so's you'd notice especially :(

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭alentejo

July
    What is noticeable over the past few years is that the weather at the end of June, start of July breaks down. It is like the start of the monsoon (Irish style admitently).

You just cant trust the weather in July it seems,
    Very dull, damp and the best July over the past 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

well i remember the last 3 julys being a wash out. i'm grateful it wasnt a total wash out. at least i'm able to enjoy the nice weather with not being able to work. soo yay. although i missed the best thunderstorm ever, while i heard the rumbles of thunder in cork, all the action was happening down in youghal. it was right over head.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Down here it was a poor enough month but as I'm not a summer person I didn't care, roll on the autumn and winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

Unless you we living in the greater Dublin area or the very far south east, I think it was a fairly average July overall, even by Irish standards.

Yes, it wasn't quite the washout seen in previous years, but that's hardly saying anything now is it? Even here in Dublin, although as being in the east we escaped a lot of the heavier showers during the second half of the month, it was still a pretty p*ss poor July to be frank.

Having said that, at least temperatures in Dublin were OK. A temp. of over 20c was recorded on at least 13 days in July which wasn't too bad.

Just heard Evelyn on the radion saying that there was more sunshine in Valentia in January 2010 than in July 2010! That does sound pretty sh**e!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Well it was the first July for a while that we could take the combine out without being afraid of sinking:eek:
    Our winter barley was harvested in good order as it became ripe and we saved the straw and got it into the shed with minimum hassle which was a big improvement on the last few years. Of course the crops still showed the effects of last November but that's a different story.

A relatively normal July I would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The worst thing about this month was its unremitting dullness and lack of any exciting temperatures or storms. Made worse by the fact that nearly every other part of the Northern Hemisphere enjoyed a serious heatwave - including our near neighbours:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Here in Donegal, lack of sun has been hardest. Beautiful to have the rain and the green grass, but after a very late start for growing vegetables and flowers, our food crops are sparse indeed. As are the flowers also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Agent_47

After Junes loveley weather July was disappointing. However it was sunshine and showers and not persistent rain. Rating for July is average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Agent_47 wrote: »
    After Junes loveley weather July was disappointing. However it was sunshine and showers and not persistent rain. Rating for July is average.

Not much sunshine and plenty of showers though . . .

124752.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    124752.jpg

Brilliant :pac:
    Not much sign of any decent weather coming any time soon either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Just been looking back at July temperatures in comparison to August - at Dublin Airport there were about 11 days over 20C in July while in August there's been only 2 so far. So even if August has had less rain the days haven't been as warm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement