Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any idea what breed Buddy is?

Options
  • 30-07-2010 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi,
    I'm currently fostering Buddy for the Roscommon SPCA and am trying to figure out what breed he is. He's quite tall (all legs at the minute!) and has a kind of curly tail! He's probably a mix of a few breeds but I'd be interested to hear what ye think.

I've attched a few pics if anyone would like to hazard a guess! The poor fella has been in kennels for a good few months and is enjoying his freedom. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Pitbull cross by the looks of it? Not sure with what, though..

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

ah hes cute!
    Id say theres a bit of Jack russell and Greyhound in there too somewhere!! Hes a general "Dolly Mixture" Dog!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Very like a boxer cross.
    We had one that was redish brown and white, similar markings and curly tail. One of the others in the litter was dark brown kinda brindle, with same markings, looked a bit like Buddy. These were Boxer Lab crosses, don't know about buddy. They were stockier than him, could be a bit of Greyhound in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

My guess?

Boxer x greyhound, with maybe a hoosh of lab!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I'd say there's Boxer in there for sure - going by the shape of his eyes, his muzzle, the position and shape of the ears and that curly tail! :D

He's a lovely licorice allsort and looks to be a happy boy! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 equinestudent

Ha ha I like that description, dolly mixture! I was nearly sure when I saw him that he has some kind of bull breed in him, just from his head. I really wouldn't know much (anything!) about those breeds though so I could be way off, hence my post here. I had though of greyhound/lurcher or something from the long legs and the way he runs - he has a really long "loping" stride and can outrun our border collie! Something she's not used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

mymo wrote: »
    Very like a boxer cross.
    We had one that was redish brown and white, similar markings and curly tail. One of the others in the litter was dark brown kinda brindle, with same markings, looked a bit like Buddy. These were Boxer Lab crosses, don't know about buddy. Could be a bit of Greyhound in there.

+1

You bet me to it by a few seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Looking at his running gear, I'd almost suspect some sort of Lurcher and/or Greyhound somewhere in the ancestry ...and then something else to give him his broad head ...Rottie, Boxer

EDIT
    While I'm there looking at the pictures everybody else writes what I'm about to say ..pah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

bull lurcher x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd say a Pitbull crossed with some kinda collie or lurcher mutt.

Hard to say, but he's got the face and kindly eye's of a Pitbull.

Looks like a lovely fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

Awww he's lovely! :)
    looks to me like he has that kind Staffie face, greyhound/lurcher type body and maybe collie colouring?
    who knows?! :D I think there's a dna test you can send away for and it'll tell you what breeds make up his genetic mix going back about 4 generations I think. There's a few places in england that do it - they send you a kit and you take a swab from their mouth and send it back. There was a write up in the Vet Spot in the Wicklow People a few months ago and I was tempted to give it a go for my own mutt - but it was £80 or something so I didn't bother - bought him a load of toys instead! :D

sionnaic wrote: »
    Awww he's lovely! :)
    looks to me like he has that kind Staffie face, greyhound/lurcher type body and maybe collie colouring?
    who knows?! :D I think there's a dna test you can send away for and it'll tell you what breeds make up his genetic mix going back about 4 generations I think. There's a few places in england that do it - they send you a kit and you take a swab from their mouth and send it back. There was a write up in the Vet Spot in the Wicklow People a few months ago and I was tempted to give it a go for my own mutt - but it was £80 or something so I didn't bother - bought him a load of toys instead! :D

As he's a rescue we won't be getting any dna tests done! Maybe his new owner can if they really want to know what he is! Interesting to know that you can get it done though. I've never had a dog that I was 100% sure what breed it was...personally I like the guessing and the fact that no one will ever pass you with the same dog! :D

I'd say a Pitbull crossed with some kinda collie or lurcher mutt.

Hard to say, but he's got the face and kindly eye's of a Pitbull.

Looks like a lovely fella.

+1 most likely a first cross pitbull greyhound - it will be a fine size of a dog and will need some wide open running - should have a great temperment too - well done equine student

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

1st pic i thought he looked a bit like my fella, (boxer-lab x with a dash of pitbull for fun and frolics)

in the others there's a lurcher or greyhound... so he could be a 1/4 dog, bits of all 4!!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

Here is a link to video with my boxer - mastiff rescue dog when she was six months she looked similar back then (she is the brindle dog- Macy)

http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=19567&locID=1.65.74&page=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well since its only a puppy, I'll compare his head & facial features to Richo's (my Pit)..

attachment.php?attachmentid=122111&stc=1&d=1280500919

Richo was only a couple months old in this photo, I think their facial features are very alike.

If he has the Pitbull's temperament he'll be a smashing dog for any owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

my friend had a dog who was the image of him, he was a Boxer-husky cross, he looks like he could have those two in the mix as well!

He's gorgeous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

i'd say bull x collie x greyhound

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

staffie collie lurcher me thinks:D

i'd say bull x collie x greyhound

good call - collie grey crosses are popular over the water - right now the in thing is to breed toward F2 pit bull grey (staff cross shortens the leg) - their temperament is good (as per pit and grey) and prey drive is easily evoked - I have seen one or two and they are a strong regal dog - in the future I might seek out one that has failed those wanting to work them (and so confriming their lack of prey drive) and suited to the long wide beaches of Sligo ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

staffie pit collie, his head is a bit like my mad yokes head. she is half pit half staffie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

He looks like a long legged staffie. I would guess there is a bit of a staff, greyhound and collie in him. Very cute though.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

I'd bet on staffie-greyhound-collie mix !! :cool:

Thanks for all the replies! A lot of you seem to be thinking along the same lines-he seems to have a bit of eveything! He does have a lovely temperament and is a gentle giant. Unfortunately it isn't every day you'd find someone looking for a lad like him, but fingers crossed he'll win someone over!

Thanks again to all that helped! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Personally, I'm no great fan of either sight-hounds (a bit too fragile looking) or bull breeds (them I find a bit too square :D) but that mix I'd have in a flash ...if I could

here's a very similar dog I just came across

http://www.lurcherlink.org/llink/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56224

Advertisement