Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why have Iarnrod removed the tracks from Tralee Station?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Have they spent enough money on it yet to justify demolition?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Seems to me that from an accessibility point of view, having the DMUs pull in under the canopy would provide loading from a straighter platform, minimising the gap from door to platform (as is verboten in new stations).

If securing the paid area is an issue then just fully or partially enclose the end from which this photo was taken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

dowlingm wrote: »
    Seems to me that from an accessibility point of view, having the DMUs pull in under the canopy would provide loading from a straighter platform, minimising the gap from door to platform (as is verboten in new stations).

If securing the paid area is an issue then just fully or partially enclose the end from which this photo was taken.

Yes but this would not provide a covered area for station staff to keep their '10' Reg cars our of the Kerry rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

Yes but this would not provide a covered area for station staff to keep their '10' Reg cars our of the Kerry rain.

Well that's definetly not the reason behind the changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Well that's definetly not the reason behind the changes.

From the 'horse's mouth' over at Platform 11

http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?p=57540#post57540

'There are a lot of people looking for trouble. Has this had any impact on passengers? No, will it save money Yes.

Trains never pulled under the roof, going back decades, the first coach was always just outside the roof, as is the second platform. Overnight trains are normally parked in the freight yard.

Two reasons,

1. The points and track require maintenance yet are rarely if very used. There is a loop in the freight yard which is available so why have two? This is fully inline with the tactics used by Swiss railways do we need this, if not pull it up to cut costs. The points question in Tralee were not replaced as part of mini-ctc and were manually operated not electric like the others at the station so are life expired

2. There is a need for access to the expanded station car park which couldn't be done with the track there.

The train is normally waiting for a passenger at Tralee when they arrive, there is a waiting room and is staffed
    '

• Advertisement

The points question in Tralee were not replaced as part of mini-ctc and were manually operated not electric like the others at the station so are life expired
    That's a load of bull. The points in the yard are manually operated but the main loop WAS CTC controlled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Karsini wrote: »
    That's a load of bull. The points in the yard are manually operated but the main loop WAS CTC controlled.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRw162vBsPEQWmMuGCftuGGOVoGX1zuw5095PQcasrKtl-zj6Q&t=1&usg=__cCgxztuwaQoeQGNFrbm-ZFqaIcg=

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

Karsini wrote: »

You're right. I recall seeing a loco runround there at Tralee in mini-CTC times.

You're right. I recall seeing a loco runround there at Tralee in mini-CTC times.

Yep, I double-checked with a friend of mine who's ex-CTC and he said it was under their control - he even used it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

This is a commuting & transport discussion forum. not a "whinge about other forums" forum.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've tidied up the thread and re-opened it. Lets hope it can stay on topic.

It seems this happened back in November and there has been no reports of ill effects.

http://www.irrs.ie/Journal%20171/171%20Infrastructure.htm
    Mallow-Tralee The locomotive release crossover under the canopy at Tralee station was removed on Monday 23 November and the buffer stop moved 80m towards Mallow to allow a road to be constructed to a new 60 space car park in the freight yard. ‘Run around’ is still available in the yard.
    I'm not a regular reader of their journal, but they do seem to record such happenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

sure looks whats happened to Pearse over the years... platforms gradually turned into staff car parks :(

There is something quite ironic about that. Irish Rail, a company who ideally should be discouraging use of the car get rid of platforms so they can drive right to their place of work? Nevermind the decision to get rid of Platform 3 to install elavators. It's like they are trying to run the company into the ground. I really hope that Irish Rail is sold to a private operator as part of the NAMA asset privatisation measures. This way, an entrepreneure who is in it to make money will fire the idiots who are responsible for the down-grading the companies biggest assets. Also, an entrepreneure will more than likely be zero tolerant of poor customer service and rude ticket agents. As such, fire these people too and make sure it is difficult for them to get work elsewhere so they will be forced to change their unpleasent and rude ways. I also hope that Dublin Bus is privatised as well. Only true entrepreneurs will be able to set these companies straight. Perhaps Richard Branson of Virgin fame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Perhaps Richard Branson of Virgin fame.

The same Richard Branson who a few years back wanted to buy the profit making Cork to Dublin line only because he didn't want any of the loss making lines along with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

There is something quite ironic about that. Irish Rail, a company who ideally should be discouraging use of the car get rid of platforms so they can drive right to their place of work?

Dare we ask how staff get to and from work? Teleporter? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Hamndegger wrote: »

Take the train, obviously

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Traditionally, many train staff begin working days before and finish after trains finish;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Traditionally, many train staff begin working days before and finish after trains finish;)

[joke]

[/joke]
    :p

plenty of busses are on the road well before trains hit the rails so this would certainly be an option for many/most staff particularly management/office staff.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    plenty of busses are on the road well before trains hit the rails so this would certainly be an option for many/most staff particularly management/office staff.

Right so we're not allowed to own cars now?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

I'd love not to have to drive to work but there is no public transport option whatsoever to get me there, as I'm sure is the case for many others :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Have you no interest in supporting your employers business? Oh wait as an employee you get free travel but would still take your own car??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Have you no interest in supporting your employers business? Oh wait as an employee you get free travel but would still take your own car??

Not every IE employee lives near a rail line. With Dublins commuter belt stretching into Westmeath,Meath,Kildare,Wicklow & Louth due to spiralling house prices over the last 10 years i'd imagine there's plenty who live 'out in the sticks' and need a car to get to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

@mickydoomsux & foggy_lad: drop the handbags please.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Not every IE employee lives near a rail line. With Dublins commuter belt stretching into Westmeath,Meath,Kildare,Wicklow & Louth due to spiralling house prices over the last 10 years i'd imagine there's plenty who live 'out in the sticks' and need a car to get to work.
    very true but those that can easily use public transport really should support Irish rail/cie I have never said all staff should because that would be ridiculous but those that can should.

For some staff is there mileage allowances that would be lost if they take public transport?

Because i don't live near a station and, as someone else said, i have to be there for when the first/last train arrives.

Very few people working for IE can possibly use the trains to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Please stop and think. How do you think - for example - the drivers of first trains and buses get to work?

Please stop assuming that the world is so simple that you know it all.

Advertisement