Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rockabilly Weekend

Options
  • 30-07-2010 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

JPB1974...Re: The Rockabilly Weekend -

(a) I wasn't aware it was on, I never seen a single advertisement for it (that's not to say there weren't any)

(b) It wasn't free. Tickets were €20, or €45 for the entire weekend. Bit pricey unless it was your thing.

(c) How many people in town do you know that like Rockabilly music?

(d) Weather was crap

(e) I heard about the classic car show. I went down to take some photos to discover they were in the Bailey car park and you had to pay to get in... I wasn't paying €20 to take a few photos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

I know Eamonn Doyle since he was a chap and I know his heart was in the right place as a lover of Rockabilly. If you Google Enniscorthy Rock...the Jump Festival pops up. Advertising is very expensive and that's probably where the cost issue came into it although JPB1974 I do agree €20 was a bit much to view a few cars.
    (a) Should it take place next year?
    (b) what would we suggest Eamonn does differently to make it a success?
    (c) how would he best finance it?
    (d) Do we think that it should be part of the Strawberry Festival?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I'd be friendly with Eamonn aka Louis myself... defo heart in the right place and fair play to him for organizing.

First thing I'd being doing is looking to local newspapers and radios to give it a plug. A few flyers or posters around the town shouldn't have to cost that much. Getting it advertised around Gorey, New Ross and Wexford would be good also.

The ticket prices were a bit steep. I'd have liked to went down and photographed the cars (for free) and maybe attend one of the evening gigs for a couple of hours (suggested price €10).

I'm sure there are Rock-a-billy internet forums and I'm guessing that's where the national and international interest came from.

As a keen photographer I'd have gladly done some photography and supplied Eamonn with the images for free to plug future events.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

He gave it a try-saw a few posters around but it didn't grab the imagination of the locals who probably saw the cost as a bit steep.I know Eamon well and he's not afraid to give something a bash.Maybe incorporating it into Strawberry Fair would have helped but the way the Fair went this year it probably wouldn't.The apathy towards events in the town is amazing,just look at the Blackstairs Blues-some great music and bands but 99% of locals just don't care or could even tell you when it's on.
    It will get to the stage that people with a bit of vision like Eamon will just give up and that's a shame. At least some of the national press gave it a mention http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/theticket/2010/0521/1224270769558.html

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

zerks wrote: »
    He gave it a try....
    It will get to the stage that people with a bit of vision like Eamon will just give up and that's a shame...
    So True. One can only take so many knocks and then decide it's time to move on. I hope Eamonn reads this thread and takes encouragement from the fact that we're not here to knock but to promote his efforts and to re-evaluate to make 2011 Jump Festival a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

I also know it was in Hot Press Magazine!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement