Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What can I do in this situation?

• 30-07-2010 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. More or less I'm looking for a bit of straight up advice on this. I'm in a job for the last three years on minimum wage. I'm not happy with it or the place and I know I've been screwed out of hours here or there in the past. I'm obviously not giving details here by the way. There's no chance of more money and the place is only getting worse. I want out fairly desperately.
    The problem is how to leave? I've never had to get any kind of welfare so I'm not sure of the details. I've had a read of the stickies but I'm not sure how some of it would apply to me. The three options I see are trying to get left go, getting fired and quitting myself. If I quit am I right in saying I have no right to sign on? What would be the outcome if I went down one of these paths?
    I have to get out of this job guys. I've nothing else lined up right now but I'm not doing it another day that I can help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Shryke wrote: »
    Hi guys. More or less I'm looking for a bit of straight up advice on this. I'm in a job for the last three years on minimum wage. I'm not happy with it or the place and I know I've been screwed out of hours here or there in the past. I'm obviously not giving details here by the way. There's no chance of more money and the place is only getting worse. I want out fairly desperately.
    The problem is how to leave? I've never had to get any kind of welfare so I'm not sure of the details. I've had a read of the stickies but I'm not sure how some of it would apply to me. The three options I see are trying to get left go, getting fired and quitting myself. If I quit am I right in saying I have no right to sign on? What would be the outcome if I went down one of these paths?
    I have to get out of this job guys. I've nothing else lined up right now but I'm not doing it another day that I can help.

Just to let you know even if you quit you do have a right to sign on once you have contributed you can sign on however it will take longer than if you where let go again not a smart decision in this day and age
    If it where me i would try and line something up before you hand in notice cause its not fun being unemployed long term or even short term also so you want to screw your references after three years
    maybe if the company is offering redundancy then you could go for that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The company isn't offering me a cent over 8.65 let alone redundancy. It's retail. I'll have references from a couple of managers but not the store manager and I can live with that. There is no option but to leave. It might be stupid but I feel like a bigger fool working there.
    At least I'll qualify for something welfare wise. If I do give my notice would I be entitled to the full dole or would it be less?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Shryke wrote: »
    The company isn't offering me a cent over 8.65 let alone redundancy. It's retail. I'll have references from a couple of managers but not the store manager and I can live with that. There is no option but to leave. It might be stupid but I feel like a bigger fool working there.
    At least I'll qualify for something welfare wise. If I do give my notice would I be entitled to the full dole or would it be less?

only you can answer that question my friend it depends on so many criteria
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx
    if you have been paying taxes then you qualify for Job seekers benefit have a look at the web page above and give it serious consideration before doing anything dramatic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Thanks guys. I feel like one or two things have been clarified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

If you quit your job you can be disqualified from claiming for up to 9 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

As others have said you should really try to line something up before you quit your current job. The waiting lists for jobseekers payments are still quite long depending on where you live and because you are walking out of a job it wont be as straightforward. They will have to investigate your claim which could take longer.

Advertisement