Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Cake decorations on wire?

Options
  • 30-07-2010 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all,
    in a fit of madness last night I very foolishly volunteered to bake a cake for my baby sis for her 21st this weekend. She wants to have maltesers and stars coming out of the top of it on wire. Any tips for doing this?
    I assume that florists wire wouldn't really be suitable to stick into a cake as there are probably some pretty nasty chemicals in it, plus I think it is green so that wouldn't really look right. Was thinking along the lines of jewellery wire.
    Any thoughts?
    How to keep it in and stop it from ripping the cake?
    Anyone know where to get it? I'll be driving from Clare to Wexford tomorrow so anywhere along the Ennis, Limerick, Tipp, Waterford, New Ross route would be perfect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

You would need paper covered wires which are available in Gold and Silver finish. #24 or #26 would be strong enough.

Also you would need a "flower pick", a special cone made of a food grade plastic for inserting the bunch of wires into the cake. If that is not available, a cocktail flexi straw would do the job. :) But the wires should not be inserted directly into the cake.

I cannot recommend any shops as I buy my tools and materials on the net. Probably you could get in touch with this shop. They might have postal delivery.
    http://www.thefairycake.ie/contactus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭roseym

Oh thank you so much, at least I'm on the right track now!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭roseym

well the cake was a huge success! I thought I'd share my little trick. I ended up using thin silver coloured florists wire that is normally used for fine florists work for hairpieces.

I then got a long thin straw and wedged a small piece of tinfoil down into it. This acted as a base for the wire which I then packed into the straw until it could take no more strands of wire. Once it was full I then pulled some of them so that they were of various heights. I left the straw long enough to reach right to the base of the cake - any shorter and it rips up the middle of the cake once the maltesers are on it. They are surprisingly heavy! I then stuck the maltesers onto the other ends of the wire. There was no need for any chocolate glue as the wire is quite fine and gripped no problem. I placed some of the tall thin sparkler candles that you can buy in Dunnes in a ring close to the other edge of the cake and used these to block the maltesers on wire from moving around too much and to keep the maltesers explosion spread evenly around the cake.

It looked absolutely fab, if I do say so myself. Everyone was majorly impressed, especially my sister, which is the main thing! Having the maltesers explosion stuck into the straw made it very easy to remove at cake cutting time as well. I only wish I made it a bit bigger, because it was gobbled up and there was none left to nibble on for the rest of the week!

Advertisement