Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't kids cycle to school?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I am thinking of starting a new thread from this, Is Fingal a safe place to live? What do you think? Reading the responses with the mind of an outsider I don't think you would want to move here. The roads are dangerous and poorly kept, too much traffic(which all that traffic to and from school doesnt help), bad drivers, possible abduction of kids, dreadful weather.

A bit of a leap from your original question isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I am thinking of starting a new thread from this, Is Fingal a safe place to live? What do you think? Reading the responses with the mind of an outsider I don't think you would want to move here. The roads are dangerous and poorly kept, too much traffic(which all that traffic to and from school doesnt help), bad drivers, possible abduction of kids, dreadful weather.

To be honest it's fairly typical of every area in Ireland...it's not exactly a stand alone case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Whatever happened the parents in this thread, they have the time to drop the kids in cars and pick them up, I doubt they all have jobs in the current climate. Why can't they cycle/walk to school with the kids and cycle/walk home with them after school. It might eat into there time but a daily cycle/walk to school might negate the need for one gym session or evening walking. As one poster pointed out alot of primary schools in Fingal are very centrally located in regard to schools, Lusk , Rush for examples. I am very aware that schools such as Milverton and Hedgestown are in isolated areas but in fairness there headcounts are alot lower so it would have greater effect to encourage any change in lifestyle in the large population schools.

The thread was raised to make people think and challenge themselves. I hope that at least one or two parents might cycle or walk to school with there kids rather than take the driving option all the time. Rush National School has had Health & Safety issues in the past with the high level of traffic caused by parents wanting to drop kids directly outside the school. They tried to encourage parents to park 100 metres away in the old church carpark and walk the kids in which has had mixed success, with parents drifting back to dropping kids outside the school. I might add that the vast majority of kids that attend that school are from the local area within 5 miles of the school. So as I said previously if this thread encourages one or two parents to walk/cycle with there kids we might have kids and parents a little more healthy, a little less damage to the enviroment and safer roads outside schools during starting and closing time.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

@Corsendonk

I'm not sure where you are based, but there is a keen and increasing cycling culture around Skerries. I would encourage members of other local communities to look at what the Skerries Cycling Initiative is doing, and hopefully establish similar initiatives.

I am all for encouraging as many people as possible (adults as well as children) to take up cycling, and witness the health (I have lost getting on for 35kg myself over the last 3 years, mainly through cycling) and environmental benefits. The more adults that cycle, the more kids will be encouraged to do the same. It does not have to be limited to cycling to school either - there are plenty of opportunities to get out on bikes at weekends, and in the summer evenings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you cycled you could care less about kids being driven to schools, as traffic wouldn't effect you. The only reason it would bother you, is if you are driving and get caught up in it.

If you cycled, your focus would be on something else, like junction design, poor road surface, and cycle paths and locking facilities at the school, somewhere for helmets, rain gear etc. Because you'd be seeing those problems daily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Beasty wrote: »
    @Corsendonk

I'm not sure where you are based, but there is a keen and increasing cycling culture around Skerries. I would encourage members of other local communities to look at what the Skerries Cycling Initiative is doing, and hopefully establish similar initiatives.

Thanks for the link. Some very useful non-cycling info too on that link. I take it that the Skerries Cycling Initiative is not limited to Skerries? You seem to have some success already outside Skerries with cycling tracks in Ardgillan as previously mentioned by you.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thanks for the link. Some very useful non-cycling info too on that link. I take it that the Skerries Cycling Initiative is not limited to Skerries? You seem to have some success already outside Skerries with cycling tracks in Ardgillan as previously mentioned by you.
    I am not proactively involved, but I know people who are. It's focus is on Skerries and the surrounding area - basically anyone who cycles in that area is likely to benefit, not just those living in Skerries

You will see there is a focus on education within schools, which would be specific to Skerries, however they are looking to improve other areas, such as commuting, which encompasses a much larger geographical area (I typically commute 60km on my bike or so whenever I can). They also have the support of FCC, and state they are looking to support cycling in Fingal generally

There is absolutely nothing to stop other communities setting up similar schemes - I am sure the individuals involved in Skerreis would be more than happy to share their experiences with like-minded organisations

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

They are too lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

They are too lazy.
    Thanks for your in-depth & insightful contribution. If that is all you can offer - you can 'pedal off' somewhere else.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Its true. They can get everything they want here. So y will they bother to cycle when their parents are driving them to school. May be they should pedal off themselves in september.

• Advertisement
Advertisement