Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is Marijuana Illegal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Laisurg wrote: »
    Back to the subject anyway, what progress is cannabis legalization making in other countries now? I know that not to long ago Mary Harney put her size 17 foot down and said that she has no intention of using cannabis medically or even setting up trials in ireland for it or doing any studys on it, purely because shes an ignorant pig but that's a rant for another day.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0910/1224278568389.html
    Harney seeks opinions on medicinal cannabis
    September 10, 2010

RONAN McGREEVY

MINISTER FOR Health Mary Harney has said she is open to making cannabis legal for medicinal purposes.

Ms Harney has sought legal advice on the effectiveness of the drug for the treatment of such conditions as multiple sclerosis and certain forms of cancer.

In a statement, the Department of Health and Children said it would make contact with relevant experts in the field with a view to making a recommendation to the Minister before the end of the year.

Ms Harney said in a parliamentary question last year that she did not propose a change in the law that would allow cannabis be used for medicinal purposes.

The department stressed there was “no question” of the Minister legalising cannabis itself.

Medicinal cannabis campaigner Gordon McArdle met with Minister for Community Affairs Pat Carey yesterday evening to discuss the issue.

Mr Carey has overall responsibility for the Government’s drugs strategy, but a spokeswoman for the Minister said he was meeting Mr McArdle because he was a constituent. Mr McArdle said he was “pleasantly surprised” at how open Ministers were to the idea of changing the law.

Mr McArdle maintains that the legalisation of medicinal cannabis would bring Ireland into line with the UK, Canada, Italy, Spain, Israel and 14 US states.

He said there ought to be a EU-wide approach to the problem, and a common strategy, and said he was not advocating the legalisation of cannabis in general, as that was a separate issue.

A Facebook page to have cannabis legalised as a medicinal drug has more than 4,000 supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

penguin88 wrote: »

Well she changed her tune fast! But she did say that she was against it and didn't believe it had any medical use, can't complain anyway! medical use is the first step to legalization!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

I suspect some of the mods participate in drug taking

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

NO! I can't believe that, surely not the Mods too!!

penguin88 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but this really is not correct. Inhaling burning plant material is going to irritate and damage the lungs. Also, to address your claim that cannabis is not smoked frequently enough to cause cancer, it is smoked in a different manner to cigarettes - the smoke is inhaled deeper and held in the lungs for longer and the common lack of a filter and loose packing of the cannabis will lead to more harmful particles being inhaled.

Well i could be incorrect about that statement to an extent but think of all the chemicals that are in cigarettes, i've never heard of anyone developing any chest/breathing problems from cannabis but how and ever this is irrelevant as it can be ingested other ways apart from smoking. So whether or not it would have a contribution is not too big an issue, however simply because i've never heard of any problems from smoking pure cannabis that has not been tampered with and the fact that none of the medical studies has said that it poses any sort of threat to the lungs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Pete M. wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

NO! I can't believe that, surely not the Mods too!!
    I actually burst out laughing when I read the bit you've quoted.

• Advertisement

You seem to go off on wild tangents which have nothing to do with anything that has been said here, and make wild assumption about me. I think you need to lay off the weed.

My main opposition to cannabis is the slack jawed, mumbling, dopey eyed "dude" character that all cannabis users play to conform to a pre-defined stereotype because they crave inclusion onto this social grouping.

Cannabis users may thing they above "sheeple" and the "normal" person, but they are just about as conformist as one could get.

BTW I wasn't hinting a few post back that discussion on drugs should be banned, I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of boards to allow discussion of clearly illegal activities (drug taking) while banning talk of other illegal activities (e.g. music piracy).

I suspect some of the mods participate in drug taking, thus they don't view the topic as something which should be censored.

You must be about 14 or something kiddo, and what you say about the mods participating in drugs and not censoring it as a result is true.... its all a conspiracy against you buddy... run while you can! :D

Laisurg wrote: »
    Well i could be incorrect about that statement to an extent but think of all the chemicals that are in cigarettes, i've never heard of anyone developing any chest/breathing problems from cannabis but how and ever this is irrelevant as it can be ingested other ways apart from smoking. So whether or not it would have a contribution is not too big an issue, however simply because i've never heard of any problems from smoking pure cannabis that has not been tampered with and the fact that none of the medical studies has said that it poses any sort of threat to the lungs.
    It's not something peculiar to cannabis. Inhaling any burning plant matter is bad for your lungs, particularly if there's no filter being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    It's not something peculiar to cannabis. Inhaling any burning plant matter is bad for your lungs, particularly if there's no filter being used.

Yeah, but only when it's cannabis will it damage your lungs while getting you nicely toasted :pac:

And can we do a poll on who uses actual filters as opposed to roches?

Or would that be too risque?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

A couple of cafes would do wonders for tourism in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

I have never used and plan to never use Marijuana, but look at all of the potential tax intake from legalising it and regulating it. Only government approved farms growing it, only available for sale in strictly monitored cafes or offlicences. We could give it a higher tax than ciggarettes and people would still travel here to get it. How many more people from the UK alone would it attract to visit?

Its definitly a more interesting solution to the crisis than cutting welfare :D

Unpossible wrote: »
    I have never used and plan to never use Marijuana, but look at all of the potential tax intake from legalising it and regulating it. Only government approved farms growing it, only available for sale in strictly monitored cafes or offlicences. We could give it a higher tax than ciggarettes and people would still travel here to get it. How many more people from the UK alone would it attract to visit?

Its definitly a more interesting solution to the crisis than cutting welfare :D

That's true, also a lot of criminal gangs get the money from cannabis to invest in more serious things like cocaine, heroin and guns.
    If it was made legal it would be seriously difficult for them to keep functioning.
    Also think of the amount of man power put into finding grow houses etc by the gardai and the amount of money put into this, don't quote me on this but i heard the amount of money spent looking for cannabis growers and bringing them to trial was in the millions.

Ireland would make an insane amount of money if this was legalized and taxed.
    And to be honest with all the trouble we're in at the moment i think they should get money from wherever they can't after all the mistakes they made they can't afford to be picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Should remain illegeal, I lost a brother to aids after he used a dirty marijuana needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fouloleron

Although I don't think it should be Illeagal, a age limit should be imposed at least

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Do we really need another legal substance to abuse in this country? Unless they tax the shit out of it then you can all do whatever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Grimes wrote: »
    Do we really need another legal substance to abuse in this country?

Short answer.

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Do we really need another legal substance to abuse in this country? Unless they tax the shit out of it then you can all do whatever you want.

It's not the sensible smokers fault that some people abuse it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

I'd be a lot more interested in taking away the bread and butter money from drug gangs and similar violent groups. I'd imagine the vast majority of their stable income is via marijuana sales. Couple that with an absolute zero tolerance policy on the harder stuff and you could clean up a lot of problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

it's a no brainer really. literally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Lol.
    Scary drug dealer man.
    Shows what a joke the whole thing is.

EVIL SCUMBAG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

he had that wild, crazed look in his eye there as he lunged at the camera - total mary jane fiend if ever i saw one. inside he wants to rape the young girls and stab random passers-by in the eyeballs.

made me sick even looking at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Living and smoking in the Netherlands for the past 4 months and it really does boggle the mind how other countries haven't adopted this system yet. Especially Ireland, sure dont we already have a green image? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Do we really need another legal substance to abuse in this country?
    Your making assumptions that every body will abuse it. Even if some do abuse it what would be the problem in your opinion? People completely ignorant of the actual effects of cannabis seem to think if cannabis was made illegal tomorrow it would be like alcohol X2! Which is utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

Lukker- wrote: »
    Should remain illegeal, I lost a brother to aids after he used a dirty marijuana needle.

Really doubt that that is true..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

a dirty marijuana needle !!! are you actually sane ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Really doubt that that is true..

Let's see how true you think it is if it becomes legalised and Ireland develops an AIDS epidemic due to people injecting this evil drug widespread with no worries about safety. That's how extreme it gets with these dope fiends. Have you never seen Reefer Madness?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Wolf Club wrote: »
    Have you never seen Reefer Madness?

Ah yeah, what a comedy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Haha brilliant

Advertisement