Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is Marijuana Illegal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

You seem to go off on wild tangents which have nothing to do with anything that has been said here, and make wild assumption about me. I think you need to lay off the weed.

My main opposition to cannabis is the slack jawed, mumbling, dopey eyed "dude" character that all cannabis users play to conform to a pre-defined stereotype because they crave inclusion onto this social grouping.

Cannabis users may thing they above "sheeple" and the "normal" person, but they are just about as conformist as one could get.

BTW I wasn't hinting a few post back that discussion on drugs should be banned, I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of boards to allow discussion of clearly illegal activities (drug taking) while banning talk of other illegal activities (e.g. music piracy).

I suspect some of the mods participate in drug taking, thus they don't view the topic as something which should be censored.

Why should a discussion on drugs be censored?

Discussion on music piracy is not banned either. Asking for/posting links to illegal download sites is banned. As are posts asking for information on how to take drugs/where to buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

Wolf Club wrote: »
    Let's see how true you think it is if it becomes legalised and Ireland develops an AIDS epidemic due to people injecting this evil drug widespread with no worries about safety. That's how extreme it gets with these dope fiends. Have you never seen Reefer Madness?

I bow to your obvious knowlege of marijuana. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Let's see how true you think it is if it becomes legalised and Ireland develops an AIDS epidemic due to people injecting this evil drug widespread with no worries about safety. That's how extreme it gets with these dope fiends. Have you never seen Reefer Madness?

wow, you really showed me the way!! ill just throw out my lighter,, needles and rizla paper now..

I think they shove marijuana in their ears now, its a new fad like ear sex on family guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    It's not the sensible smokers fault that some people abuse it.

Exactly, just like it's not the sensible drinkers fault if others abuse it.

You see fat ****ers keeling over all the time from heart attacks but nobodys rushing to make fast food illegal either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

“Marijuana leads to homosexuality, the breakdown of the immune system, and therefore to AIDS.” —Carlton Turner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Because it doesn't have powerful lobby groups backing it like alcohol and tobacco do.

True enough. The public face of drugs is either hippies on some stupid protest march, or junkies....there is literally no voice for your average, moderate drug user who sees drugs as a valid alternative to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

coyle wrote: »
    True enough. The public face of drugs is either hippies on some stupid protest march, or junkies....there is literally no voice for your average, moderate drug user who sees drugs as a valid alternative to drink.

Your average weekend recreational drug user is too afraid to come out in public to protest in most cases. Its up to YOU Coyle to change things, things will stay the same unless EVERYONE like yourself comes out in the open against prohibition. It certainly won't happen on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

Haha hash needles. Brilliant.

I hope for your sake you were being ironic, in which case that hillarious.
    If not, it's actually even funnier, and I think you should stick to the forums you actually know something something about, and someone might give a f**k about your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Haha hash needles. Brilliant.

I hope for your sake you were being ironic, in which case that hillarious.
    If not, it's actually even funnier, and I think you should stick to the forums you actually know something something about, and someone might give a f**k about your opinion.

I think it is safe to say that he was takin the pee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

They should just legalize it now. It's going to happen eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

Because old people vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

einshteen wrote: »
    Because old people vote.

This is what I came to say.

If it ever suited them votes wise, they would legalise it. That could be 50 years away if at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

The-Rigger wrote: »
    If it ever suited them votes wise, they would legalise it.
    So make sure they know that by keeping it illegal, they are actually voting in favour of drug gangs in Limerick riding around in armoured humvees carrying machine guns and terrorising other old people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The poll in this thread is flawed. There's a big difference between decriminalisation and legalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

No of course! shut down all the legal high shops and then pretend it never goes on if you dont see anything! thats the Irish way :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

This kind of **** makes me never want to go home. :(:mad:

Fcuk Ireland. One of thousands of little things that piss me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The poll in this thread is flawed. There's a big difference between decriminalisation and legalisation.
    Who's talking about decriminalisation? Legalisation is the only way forward. Decriminalisation is a half arsed pointless move that will only legitimise the work of criminals. Full on all out legalisation is the only logical step.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ScumLord wrote: »
    Who's talking about decriminalisation? Legalisation is the only way forward. Decriminalisation is a half arsed pointless move that will only legitimise the work of criminals. Full on all out legalisation is the only logical step.

It'd make it safer to grow your own stuff. Legalising it means that whoever is selling the legitimate weed will always be undercut by the black-market dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

It'd make it safer to grow your own stuff. Legalising it means that whoever is selling the legitimate weed will always be undercut by the black-market dealers.

Which wouldn't be too hard as they wouldn't have to pay the huge taxes that would probably be imposed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well that's a problem with every market, you can get just about anything cheaper on the black market if your willing to take the risk.

However I don't know how well criminals could match prices with proper industrial growers. Once farmers could start growing it without fear on a large scale they'd be pumping it out every 3 - 4 months at a cost of pennies. Meanwhile the criminals have to find somewhere to grow on the quiet and people will be much more likely to report them if they think the criminals are hurting their pockets personally.

• Advertisement

Ah, now only if those 564 people in favour of the legality of marijuana, the possession, and the charges exumed to those indivduals in prison for private use would use their noggin and vote LIBERTARIAN in the upcoming election...what a wonderful world it would be...

Ironic really, that these very people will vote Fine Gael and Labour LMFAO...

Wow, I'm convinced the majority of people in this country have absolutely no idea what they're voting for....anything but Fianna Fail is acceptable it seems....well how about looking at each parties policies and discovering which one is aligned to your personal beliefs.

Again, vote Libertarian!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Ah, now only if those 564 people in favour of the legality of marijuana, the possession, and the charges exumed to those indivduals in prison for private use would use their noggin and vote LIBERTARIAN in the upcoming election...what a wonderful world it would be...

Wow, I'm convinced the majority of people in this country have absolutely no idea what they're voting for....anything but Fianna Fail is acceptable it seems....well how about looking at each parties policies and discovering which one is aligned to your personal beliefs.

Again, vote Libertarian!
    Not all social liberals would agree with the economically liberal principles of the libertarian ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Again, vote Libertarian!

I don't agree with libertarian laissez-fair economic theory. Social market economy ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Again, vote Libertarian!
    Pace2008 wrote: »
    Not all social liberals would agree with the economically liberal principles of the libertarian ideology.
    sink wrote: »
    I don't agree with libertarian laissez-fair economic theory. Social market economy ftw!

jesus lads, i'm too stoned for this type of talk. can someone imbed a simpsons clip or something. total buzzkiller maaaaaaaaaann.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭tommylimerick

i smoke pot but hardly ever drink
    i work in a job and i don t think many
    would guess i smoke pot
    i have spoken to members of the gardai
    and doctors about this and even though
    they would not actively encourage it s usage
    they are not against it either
    but what i really think is that if you sensationalise
    the dangers of recreational use of pot and you have kids
    and they discover it to be "harmless" they are much
    more likely to experiment with other drugs
    which might not be so harmless

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    So make sure they know that by keeping it illegal, they are actually voting in favour of drug gangs in Limerick riding around in armoured humvees carrying machine guns and terrorising other old people.

And what is Amhran Nua's position on this :confused:.

Time to soak the fire with fuel, perhaps... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And what is Amhran Nua's position on this :confused:.

I would like to know this as well.
    Ming is running in the next election.............. http://soundcloud.com/italk/mayor-luke-ming-flanagan-reveals-his-general-election-plan-italk-exclusive
    Any chance Amhran Nua are looking to get him on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭smokingman

There's several reasons; starting with <SQUIRREL!!!!.....>

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Firstly, I want to express the fact that I am not a regular user of the drug itself, nor am I condoning it - I am just interested how society has labeled it negatively when they are unwilling to educate the ill-informed about the benefits.

1) It is not in any way, shape or form, addictive, mentally or physically.
    2) It has unlimited and legitimate medical uses.
    3) It is not a "gateway" drug.
    4) If it was legal, organised crime would fall.
    5) Government can tax it and give tourism a boost.
    lly?

You do realise points numbered 1 to 4 are absoloute cock, dont you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

It is not in any way, shape or form, addictive, mentally or physically.

I agree. This is complete cock. It is incredibly addictive and anyone that disagrees is just being nieve.

Advertisement