Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is Marijuana Illegal?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You do realise points numbered 1 to 4 are absoloute cock, dont you?
    iamthe43 wrote: »
    I agree. This is complete cock. It is incredibly addictive and anyone that disagrees is just being nieve.

Marijuana produces no withdrawal symptoms no matter how heavy it is used. It is habit forming (psychologically addictive), but not physically addictive. The majority of people who quit marijuana don't even have to think twice about it. Comparing marijuana to addictive drugs is really quite silly.

For a drug to be physically addictive, it must be reinforcing, produce withdrawal symptoms, and produce tolerance. Marijuana is reinforcing, because it feels good, but it does not do the other two things. Caffeine, nicotine and alcohol are all physically addictive.

The rest of the answers to your proclamations of "cock" are here........ http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_faq1.shtml
    You can thank me later.
    But judging by your already bunkered in attitude I doubt if ye will even read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The medical benefits of cannabis are so hard to tie down which is really shocking in this day and age. I don't think it's the wonder drug people are making it out to be in that I don't think it' going to cure any major illness but it should definitely be an alternative pain medication because it really does work in that field.

There is a guy over in the states with a growing following of people he's claimed have been completely cured of cancer using cannabis paste. The UK government grow high grade cannabis and turn it into a oral spray although they won't go into any details on what it does or how it's getting on.

The truth is it's hard to tell what's the truth but it's definitely not all cock there's to much actual evidence to say that.
    I agree. This is complete cock. It is incredibly addictive and anyone that disagrees is just being nieve.
    Your misinformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

How exactly is it a gateway drug?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

mikom wrote: »
    But judging by your already bunkered in attitude I doubt if ye will even read it.

I dont need to read it. I am addicted to marijuana. Physicaly or psycologicaly so, its still addictive.

I dont need to read it.

Thought so.
    I am addicted to marijuana. Physicaly or psycologicaly so, its still addictive.

Next question: Do you smoke it with tobacco?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Next question: Do you smoke it with tobacco?
    To be fair, there are people psychologically addicted to the effects of cannabis, though they're by no means in the majority or even a significant minority.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    To be fair, there are people psychologically addicted to the effects of cannabis, though they're by no means in the majority or even a significant minority.

The same way in which a person could get addicted to manga or collecting shoes, I suppose.
    We might as well outlaw everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The phrase "gateway drug" is a load of bollox. That is all

ScumLord wrote: »
    Your misinformed.

I am not misinformed. I know for a fact that im addicted to marijuana, be it psychological or physical, and thats all there is to it, and i think its a bad idea to suggest that its not addictive.

Next question: Do you smoke it with tobacco

I do smoke it with tobacco, but I also smoke tobacco on its own. I also prefer to smoke tobacco when there is marijuana with it.

Im not trying to say that the drug should remain criminalised, or that it should be highlighted as a scourge on our society, all im trying to say is that, for me, and many many people that I know, it is addictive, and it shouldn't be portrayed as non-addictive

I also fully believe that it has many medicinal benefits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

it should be legal
    its Highly benefictal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I am not misinformed. I know for a fact that im addicted to marijuana, be it psychological or physical, and thats all there is to it, and i think its a bad idea to suggest that its not addictive.

Alcholics have a dependancy on alcohol
    Tobbaco smokers have a dependancy on cigarettes
    Hell some people have dependancy of chocolate or even crisps
    Some people have an dependancy to marijuana

Problem much?

Marijuana is as addictive as any of the above: FACT. You're one of the unlucky (lucky if you're an optimist) ones addicted to a relatively harmless illegal drug.

I do smoke it with tobacco, but I also smoke tobacco on its own. I also prefer to smoke tobacco when there is marijuana with it.

The tobacco is the addictive element.
    You could drop cannabis in the morning if that element was not in the mix all along.
    Tobbaco smokers have a dependancy on cigarettes

Marijuana is as addictive as any of the above: FACT.

Not so.
    No withdrawal with cannabis like tobacco.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Marijuana produces no withdrawal symptoms no matter how heavy it is used. It is habit forming (psychologically addictive), but not physically addictive. The majority of people who quit marijuana don't even have to think twice about it. Comparing marijuana to addictive drugs is really quite silly.

For a drug to be physically addictive, it must be reinforcing, produce withdrawal symptoms, and produce tolerance. Marijuana is reinforcing, because it feels good, but it does not do the other two things. Caffeine, nicotine and alcohol are all physically addictive.

The rest of the answers to your proclamations of "cock" are here........ http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_faq1.shtml
    You can thank me later.

Bzzzt wrong. And you can't dismiss me so easily because I love my weed and am very in favour of legalisation.

The ****ty weed in Ireland almost has no withdrawal symptoms - because it's rubbish. I worked in the Netherlands for a year, and smoked about 1g of the good stuff everyday.

Let me tell you about the withdrawal symptoms. They are pretty much the exact opposite of the effect of the drugs. After smoking the good stuff for a year, when I went cold turkey I completely lost my appetite for a week. Also my mind was in overdrive, could not calm down. Result = cannot eat or sleep for a week. I had to get sleeping pills, and try to force myself to eat soup. Do you have any idea how hard it is to eat when you have no saliva?

Ok, these withdrawal symptoms are VERY very mild compared to stuff like heroin, but saying these symptoms do not exist is WRONG. Trust me, you don't get the symptoms because you don't smoke good stuff (what we think is good in Ireland is actually rubbish). In truth these withdrawal symptoms are so mild that you cannot actually use them as a reason against the drug :lol: Oh, and you are also wrong about the tolerance part. Everyone knows you are wrong.... stoners build up tolerance. That's why it's good to take a break, and why heavy smoking barely effects me, but knocks my mates out.

While I'm poasting, let me wind up the anti-cannabis brigade some more: I work as a quant developer in an investment bank and earn a hell of a lot more than you busybodies. How about you go educate and apply yourselves rather than trying to ruin other peoples fun?

srsly78 wrote: »
    because it's rubbish. I worked in the Netherlands for a year, and smoked about 1g of the good stuff everyday.

:eek: Bud or hashish?

Usually bud. Trust me, there is withdrawal. I thought the same as yourself after smoking Irish stuff for years and not experiencing it. It is not the same at all :)

Usually bud. Trust me, there is withdrawal. I thought the same as yourself after smoking Irish stuff for years and not experiencing it. It is not the same at all :)

Seriously that's a shit load a day.
    Did you give up cigarettes at the same time?

It's not that much, it's only 2-3 joints a day. And I didn't quit the smokes, have been a 20 smokes/day man for the last 15 years.

Hmm, the 1g/day is averaged out actually. Would smoke about an ounce a month, works out to roughly 1g/day. Maybe 1 spliff after work on week days, more on weekends. Maybe even more if friends come around bumming supply :D

It's not that much, it's only 2-3 joints a day.

Still and all, as you say......... 2-3 Dutch = 4-6 Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

I think people are mixing up being addicted to something and just really liking something

I genuinely struggle to go a day without a bottle of lucozade sport. If I don't get a bottle of it at some stage it plays on my mind until I give in and get one. This is down to the routine I have in my mind and poor discipline. The mind is a powerful thing and routine is a very hard thing to break, especially if you enjoy it

• Advertisement

Horse_box wrote: »
    I think people are mixing up being addicted to something and just really liking something

I genuinely struggle to go a day without a bottle of lucozade sport. If I don't get a bottle of it at some stage it plays on my mind until I give in and get one. This is down to the routine I have in my mind and poor discipline. The mind is a powerful thing and routine is a very hard thing to break, especially if you enjoy it

Get this man to rehab, stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Marijuana is as addictive as any of the above: FACT. You're one of the unlucky (lucky if you're an optimist) ones addicted to a relatively harmless illegal drug.
    It's habit forming and you can become dependant on it. But we're throwing around the word addiction which carries a big stigma with it when it's associated with drugs as we all think of Heroin addicts and then backing up the addiction argument by saying you can even be addicted to chocolate.

People do become dependant on it but it's easier to go without weed than it is to go without tobacco and it's easier to stop smoking weed than it is to stop smoking tobacco.
    The ****ty weed in Ireland almost has no withdrawal symptoms - because it's rubbish. I worked in the Netherlands for a year, and smoked about 1g of the good stuff everyday.
    Weed in Ireland isn't that ****ty any more. With tighter borders and plenty of people out of work there's a growing population of people growing it themselves.

I go to Amsterdam and I've gone outside of the tourist area and researched what would be the biggest best high that I could get and tried it. I've had just as good here, the people here and everywhere else in the world are buying the same seeds and using the same growing techniques. Amsterdam probably doesn't even have the best weed in the world any more that honer more than likely goes to California now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Whether tis 'Dam or Dublin or Cali, if you got the right seeds, growing conditions and green fingers, the best of weed can be grown anywhere.

As for whether it's addictive or not, I would say that it probably is, though more psychologically then physiologically and I've done a lot of research :cool:

It's not incredibly addictive anyway for sure and my name isn't Niamh, nor am I being naive, not does it have unlimited medical uses as someone else suggested, surely there's a limit.

And @ cherryghost. Putting the word 'FACT' in capitals after a statement doesn't actually means it's true. FACT.
    I dont need to read it. I am addicted to marijuana. Physicaly or psycologicaly so, its still addictive.

Well dude admitting it is the first step....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Why don't you grow ur own if its so bad?

duckysauce wrote: »
    Why don't you grow ur own if its so bad?

*whistles* no comment :) Did you know the stuff can grow under NATURAL irish light? No artificial lights needed! Quite surprising (ofc you get low yield with this). I always thought that no way would it grow here outdoors.

It's not that the Irish stuff is so bad, it's true that quality has improved so much recently. In the 90s I couldn't get green at all here, only ****ty hash. But still, in the Netherlands you are guaranteed access to grade A stuff all the time. I wouldn't even touch the heavier stuff (like white widow), I prefer lighter stuff like orange bud.

Trust me there is no comparison between the average stuff here, and what you get in NL. Smoke that stuff for a year and you will have a physical dependency on it. But yeah, it's pretty mild withdrawal. This is quite simply not a harmful drug.

Regarding the addiction bit... that's a bit trickier to answer. I do think it's a case of me really liking my smoke, it's not like being addicted to nicotine for example. In the past I was quite worried about being dependent, would my supply be interrupted etc. But these days I take breaks from it occasionally. Right now I'm over in London working for the week and not smoking (even tho the stuff is easier to get here than in NL haha).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I voted against because there are enough drink drivers on the road without welcoming more stoned drivers too.

Anyway as far as I can see it is easy enough to acquire for anyone who want it so what's the big deal about legalizing it?

I voted against because there are enough drink drivers on the road without welcoming more stoned drivers too.

Anyway as far as I can see it is easy enough to acquire for anyone who want it so what's the big deal about legalizing it?

More tax money into government coffers. Money saved on policing. Net result = big win.

Also your "stoned drivers" thing is more hype. Yes studies have shown cannabis has negative effect on reactions, however the same research showed that stoned people are much more cautious and drive more slowly. It is completely different from alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

More tax money into government coffers. Money saved on policing. Net result = big win.

Also your "stoned drivers" thing is more hype. Yes studies have shown cannabis has negative effect on reactions, however the same research showed that stoned people are much more cautious and drive more slowly. It is completely different from alcohol.

ah come on if you are stoned or drunk you cannot drive no matter how slow you F**king drive jayus, agree with tax though and would get rid of scumbag dealers

Happy Christmas.
    A two-metre marijuana plant decorated as a Christmas tree has been confiscated from the home of 'an old hippie' in Germany.
    German authorities yesterday said that a 21-year-old man in the southern city of Munich had been detained with a homemade Advent calendar with cannabis behind each little door instead of chocolate.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1208/germany_christmas.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I really hope you're not saying that smoking a joint and driving is ok, because it isn't. It's drug driving and it's just as dangerous at driving under the influence of any other intoxicant such as alcohol. I support legalisation but I sure as hell don't support drug driving.

Advertisement