Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is Marijuana Illegal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

It should definitely be legal I think.

People just disagree with it because it's thrown in the drugs category along with things like heroin and cocaine which genuinely do destroy lives, while alcohol and tobacco are kept in a socially acceptable place even though they are also drugs, and probably much more harmful.

As someone who definitely advocates legalisation, the one negative I would mention is it is addictive mentally in my opinion. It's not easy to just stop smoking the stuff cold turkey, but I guess the same can be said for almost anything after a while (drinking tea, eating chocolate etc.)

I can't see it being legalised in the next few years because of that huge percentage of the population who just stick with the beliefs they are brought up with the whole thing of
    drugs=unacceptable
    alcohol=acceptable

Also, to the guy who said "Why not just get pissed"? I have two problems:
    a)The feeling is different. Marijuana doesn't make you an extroverted fag who is boisterous and annoying, it's much more calming and relaxing.
    b) I'd rather not drink litres of p!ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

nacimroc wrote: »
    I was addicted to it for years! It completely Kills all ambition, mental ability dies, and it causes mental issues such as panic attacks! This is blatently obvious from anyone who knows a few stoners. After a few years, they will get mad chest pains, or start getting panic attacks. Thats the point when most people give it up which is why you don't see too many long term users (10+ years)!

As regards the netherlands, well ask anyone from there and they will explain how the whole thing was a complete disaster other than a bit of tourism.

Oh, and some people call it "dope" for a reason!

Absolute balderdash.

I, and many of my friends, have been smoking for over a decade. We are all employed, some running their own businesses. No-one I know gets chest pains or has panic attacks.

SOME people lose ambition, or get panic attacks, or can't be bothered doing anything constructive with their lives; these are people who have no idea what the word moderation means.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

nacimroc wrote: »
    I was addicted to it for years! It completely Kills all ambition, mental ability dies, and it causes mental issues such as panic attacks! This is blatently obvious from anyone who knows a few stoners. After a few years, they will get mad chest pains, or start getting panic attacks. Thats the point when most people give it up which is why you don't see too many long term users (10+ years)!

As regards the netherlands, well ask anyone from there and they will explain how the whole thing was a complete disaster other than a bit of tourism.

Oh, and some people call it "dope" for a reason!

For me weed is an enhancer. It makes me more of what I already am. If you're already lazy/stupid/unmotivated, then smoking weed isnt going to help you. If you're an intelligent thinker by nature, weed will unlock a whole new avenue of ideas and thoughts for you.

Some people should not smoke weed just like some people shouldnt drink alcohol. Doesnt mean it should be illegal for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Firstly, I want to express the fact that I am not a regular user of the drug itself, nor am I condoning it - I am just interested how society has labeled it negatively when they are unwilling to educate the ill-informed about the benefits.

1) It is not in any way, shape or form, addictive, mentally or physically.
    2) It has unlimited and legitimate medical uses.
    3) It is not a "gateway" drug.
    4) If it was legal, organised crime would fall.
    5) Government can tax it and give tourism a boost.

The funny thing about this whole farce is, Marijuana has been legal in the Netherlands since the 30's and according to the consumption stats, the Dutch use the recreational drug the least. Not one recorded fatality has occurred from the use of marijuana, yet alcohol and tobacco are severe killers and they're still available.

What are you thoughts? Should it be available for purchase, legally?

It is not legal in the Netherlands
    Cannabis remains a controlled substance in the Netherlands and both possession and production for personal use are still misdemeanors, punishable by fines. Coffee shops are also technically illegal but are flourishing nonetheless. However, a policy of non-enforcement has led to a situation where reliance upon non-enforcement has become common, and because of this the courts have ruled against the government when individual cases were prosecuted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

However, a policy of non-enforcement has led to a situation where reliance upon non-enforcement has become common.

The bit Im having trouble getting my head around is that we are talking here about the Netherlands and not Ireland :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭captainkeg

Cant be arsed reading through yet ANOTHER one of these threads.

Has this been posted yet? http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-pro-marijuana-arguments-that-arent-helping/

Cliffs : A good few Pro-Mariuana advocates are cretins who do more damage than good to their own cause

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

i would argue that it is in fact addictive (i am currently witnessing a few of my friends struggling to give it up even though they know its messing up their lives)

i do however think it should be legal.

the only reason it is not is apparently because hemp threatened to ruin the U.S paper industry by providing a cheaper and a overall more profitable plant to make paper.

its perfectly fine and thoroughly enjoyable. its harmless in moderation, however it is damaging in excessive quantities (as are most things). if it were legalized, it could be at least controlled.

i also think that it being legal would prevent it others from moving on to other drugs. people usually develop relationships with dealers to get weed, and this relationship is what opens the "gateway" to other drugs. if it were for sale in shops, people wouldnt need to have relationships with fairly dubious people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

CageWager wrote: »
    For me weed is an enhancer. It makes me more of what I already am. If you're already lazy/stupid/unmotivated, then smoking weed isnt going to help you. If you're an intelligent thinker by nature, weed will unlock a whole new avenue of ideas and thoughts for you.

QFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Zelkova

It should definitely be legalized- at least to grow your own, everyone knows this but the great leaders of ours (with the exception of Luke Flanagan) are too cowardly to approach the subject.
    legal or illegal it'll always have a huge demand, as it has since forever.
    Currently only criminals can make money from it and they are only too keen too flood the country with herb laced with ground glass, to make it heavier, or "hash" that's main ingredients are henna and valium, amongst other nasty substances i.e. Soapbar- Puke at the thought.
    Where has the green Lebanese of yore gone to?- jesus wept.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gorgak

My very first post and I would like to make it clear:

THIS IS A LIE.

While it may have some medical uses; it does not have "unlimited" uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I smoked hash once & I smoked weed once. Its not for me. Drink is my thing. But within saying that, on the surface I dont see why it should stay illegal. Alot of people smoke it. They'll continue to smoke it. Make it legal. Governments incentive is that they can tax it and what not.

But there are arguments to this tho:

[anti Marijuana people say:]

- 1, By making it legal you are making scumbag drug dealers legit. Also allowing money laundering through these legit businesses.
    - 2, Allowing easier transport of drug to near by countries were it might still remain illegal (other government pressure in the EU to not let it become legal here is likely)
    - 3, By making it legal, thus vat on it, you are also opening up more of drug black market for it. As minus the VAT, people will sell cheaper.
    etc.

[People who smoke it, but against it becoming legal say:]

- 1, Take the average amount you could buy for 20 euro. Would suddenly become 30 euro. If not 40 euro. (vat after all)
    - 2, It would fall under budget hikes. An ounce could triple in value over a few budgets.
    - 3, thus again, creating a drug black market where you could buy it cheaper.

Two sides to the coin huh? :(
    So what would making it legal solve I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

geetar wrote: »
    would argue that it is in fact addictive (i am currently witnessing a few of my friends struggling to give it up even though they know its messing up their lives)

I stopped smoking cold turkey 5 months ago... it dosnt mess with there lives just there brains... any one can stop there just so used to it being in there bodies all the time they find the trasitision some what like an addiction...

I smoke weed i stop for about 6 months eat tons of fish, and just screw my head on :)

The thing about smoking is its so damm nice, now i don't use joints i do water falls I find the hit to last a good 6 hours and i use feck all so i get my money worth

All those links to "silly arguments for legalisation" completly missed the biggest one:
    "Its a plant dude -how can it be bad ?"

Cos dats de why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

In yank land the courts make peopla attend drug rehab for weed. Can you imaging listening to harrowing taless from the debts of a crack addiction and then having to stand up with a serious face and tell the room youre a weed addict...

Messed up.

RichieC wrote: »
    In yank land the courts make peopla attend drug rehab for weed. .

Probably one for another thread but the American courts generally operate in some really wierd ways -even as courts go

e.g. requiring drug tests as a bail/probation condition when the original offence had nothing to do with drugs or suspending driving licences (a pretty draconian measure the more car-dependent parts of the country) for offences which had nothing to do with motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

LighterGuy wrote: »
    - 1, Take the average amount you could buy for 20 euro. Would suddenly become 30 euro. If not 40 euro. (vat after all)
    It's not going to be more expensive unless it's taxed back into the black market. The cost of production is already quite low it's just the criminals take a huge profit from it. If production could be done in a licensed premises under proper factory conditions the cost would be reduced drastically making it very cheap.
    Snowie wrote: »
    I stopped smoking cold turkey 5 months ago... it dosnt mess with there lives just there brains... any one can stop there just so used to it being in there bodies all the time they find the trasitision some what like an addiction...
    There is one problem with quitting and it's the sleep issue. People who smoke allot find it hard to sleep without weed and that's down to a chemical imbalance.
    Weed produces a chemical similar or identical to the chemical your brain uses to make you fall asleep, when you're smoking your body doesn't bother producing this chemical so when you quit it's not there to put you to sleep and will take around 2 weeks for your body to start producing the chemical again.

Just in case people have tried to quit and gave up because of the sleep issue, maybe go to your doctor for sleeping pills to get you through the 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

LighterGuy wrote: »
    I smoked hash once & I smoked weed once. Its not for me. Drink is my thing. But within saying that, on the surface I dont see why it should stay illegal. Alot of people smoke it. They'll continue to smoke it. Make it legal. Governments incentive is that they can tax it and what not.

But there are arguments to this tho:

[anti Marijuana people say:]

- 1, By making it legal you are making scumbag drug dealers legit. Also allowing money laundering through these legit businesses.
    - 2, Allowing easier transport of drug to near by countries were it might still remain illegal (other government pressure in the EU to not let it become legal here is likely)
    - 3, By making it legal, thus vat on it, you are also opening up more of drug black market for it. As minus the VAT, people will sell cheaper.
    etc.

[People who smoke it, but against it becoming legal say:]

- 2, It would fall under budget hikes. An ounce could triple in value over a few budgets.
    - 3, thus again, creating a drug black market where you could buy it cheaper.

Two sides to the coin huh? :(
    So what would making it legal solve I guess.

Less young people and normally law abiding people entering the criminal justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

In fairness it being illegal dosent make much of a difference, people who want it can get it people who dont want it dont have to.

Nothing will change if its legal other than the revenue from tax.

• Advertisement

In fairness it being illegal dosent make much of a difference, people who want it can get it people who dont want it dont have to.

Nothing will change if its legal other than the revenue from tax.
    And billions won't be going to criminal gangs, ordinary people won't have their life's ruined by the law creating the problem in the first place and tainted weed won't be affecting people health.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Biggins wrote: »
    ...Must be that time of the month.
    Here we go again...

Neither for/against.
    Just wish some would read previous threads that mention/discuss this topic.

Yeh but most of these get closed so you cant.

Edit: Just realised that I answered a post thats almost a year old, thats what happens when you have smoked a bit.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

People (generally) can get it but the run the risk (however slight) of arrest everytime they do so. They also run the (fairly considerable) risk of being ripped off with poor quality or downright dangerous product plus theyd maybe rather not be funding the criminal underworld.
    By making it legal you are making scumbag drug dealers legit.
    If it were made legal I suspect that the people involved in selling it would not necessairly be the same people selling it now although there would be quite a lot of reasons why encouraging some of the less "scumbag" among the current dealers to "go legit" might actually be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Firstly, I want to express the fact that I am not a regular user of the drug itself, nor am I condoning it - I am just interested how society has labeled it negatively when they are unwilling to educate the ill-informed about the benefits.

i am for the legalisation of all drugs under lisence (ie to people of an age that don't fly planes etc) but i was addicted to marijuana i quit it and it was hard. i was earning and in control but i was addicted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

ScumLord wrote: »
    Just in case people have tried to quit and gave up because of the sleep issue, maybe go to your doctor for sleeping pills to get you through the 2 weeks.

Two weeks of prescription sleeping tablets nightly will result in you becoming addicted to them. Out of the fire, into the frying pan!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

It is illegal beacuse the Americans said so and that's the end of it.
    Most other countries follow suit because they can't think for themselves and adopt the american way

simple as that. All drugs should be legal IMO and everyone should be educated about drugs. then its up to you after that.

It's ridiculous that a plant can be made illegal. Legalize everything and tax it, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dub12Dave

Or just legalize it to the extent that you can grow your own and not be done for doing so, no more than 4/5 plants at any one time should do the average smoker 5/6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

3) It is not a "gateway" drug.
    4) If it was legal, organised crime would fall.
    5) Government can tax it and give tourism a boost.

The funny thing about this whole farce is, Marijuana has been legal in the Netherlands since the 30's and according to the consumption stats, the Dutch use the recreational drug the least. Not one recorded fatality has occurred from the use of marijuana, yet alcohol and tobacco are severe killers and they're still available.

What are you thoughts? Should it be available for purchase, legally?

There is not a single thing on this planet that cannot be entirely free from addiction. Anything can be mentally addictive.

Dub12Dave wrote: »
    Or just legalize it to the extent that you can grow your own and not be done for doing so, no more than 4/5 plants at any one time should do the average smoker 5/6 months.
    I don't know that would work I think it's open to abuse by criminal gangs. It can cost around €1000 or more to grow that many plants when you factor in equipment and electricity. People don't have the time or inclination to grow there own weed just like they don't already make their own beer or grow their own food, it's impractical.

If it was through licensed businesses that could control and regulate what they're growing giving the end user a good product it would be better for everyone. Turn it into a genuine industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

The problem with Marijuana is it can lead users onto trying a lot harder drugs like cocaine and heroin over time. Anytime I smoked Marijuana I loved it though. I think it's a great drug, and in my opinion alcohol is much worse. I'd happily be stoned 24/7 if I could, but I havent smoked joints in years. Should it be legal? I don't see why not, but I doubt it ever will.

Advertisement