Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is Marijuana Illegal?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

It should be illegal because it makes me late for work. If it was legal, I would never make it in. Or do the dishes. Or anything really :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Wudyaquit wrote: »
    Yes, why?

you didn't read my post properly

addiction is some thing that controls you...

habit is something you control ....

seriously get over your self and put the split down maybe eat some fish restore your brain cells

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Might go out and get me some cocaine for Paddy's day.
    You go enjoy yourself then.
    But be careful, cocaine is addictive.
    Wudyaquit wrote:
    Yes, why?
    It would be easy to infer that you're a lazy waster and you tell everyone (possibly even yourself) its because you're addicted to the old mj.
    But I wouldn't do that ;)

Gurgle wrote: »

It would be easy to infer that you're a lazy waster and you tell everyone (possibly even yourself) its because you're addicted to the old mj.

cocaine addictive i can stop any time :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Snowie wrote: »
    cocaine addictive i can stop any time :cool:
    ^^ :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

you didn't read my post properly

addiction is some thing that controls you...

habit is something you control ....

seriously get over your self and put the split down maybe eat some fish restore your brain cells
    I think I read your post well enough. It was just misinformed simplistic nonsense that I didn't agree with.
    The donegal catch is in the oven. Not sure if it'll restore enough brain cells to be able to engage with you, but it's worth a go.

I think I read your post well enough. It was just misinformed simplistic nonsense that I didn't agree with.
    The donegal catch is in the oven. Not sure if it'll restore enough brain cells to be able to engage with you, but it's worth a go.

How so please tell me how its simplistic nonsense ?

But doc, you told me that there was no such thing as psychological addiction. Oh, of course, cocaine's so well known for it's physically addictive properties.
    Ha. I never said I was addicted to mj. I smoke weekends. I also drink, does that mean I'm an alcoholic? Please let me know as your opinions on these matters are clearly very informed and in no way contradictory

How so please tell me how its simplistic nonsense ?

I already did in my response to your post. Which part had I misread?

Heroin and coke are much more powerfullly addictive but what does that say.

that they should be illegal
    NOt sure comparing to drinking wine really backs up your point, but if you're saying the addiction is purely down to the process, by that logic, they'd be just as happy to remove the dope and smoke some inhaler kind of thing.Which is nonsense.

Im comparing weed to wine as a similarity is all. Some people come home from work cook there dinner sit bye the fire and drink a few glasss of wine. People do this simply out of habit.

Same way some people come home cook there dinner smoke a few splifs watch tv and sit bye the fire. Its a habit.

Im not comparing them as a drug I comparing them as an act of habit..
    IT's addiction because peopel will continue to smoke even if they themselves want, for whatever reason, to stop.

Addiction is were either your brain or your body needs the substance to simply live every day life.

Habit is something you do but can control you can let it escalate but you can stop at any time. Of course some people talk complete ****e and claim there addicted for the sake that they don't want to stop.

thats my point :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I heard it is legal on April 20th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Weed is addictive. People need to stop with this fantasy that it is the best drug ever. I personally think it should be available on prescription for certain conditions and decriminalised.
    I think our attitude to drugs is getting way too lax, all drugs that affect the brain should be treated with extreme caution, pills are just dished out all the time now to people and illegal drugs are seen by many as acceptable, what needs to happen is to educate people that the mind needs to be respected, treated right and in as many cases as possible, drug free.

Edit: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-teenage-mind/201012/is-marijuana-addictive
    Based on his review of the scientific literature, between 10 to 30% of regular users will develop dependency. Only about 9% will have a serious addiction. For an excellent post on the biology of marijuana addiction see http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-addiction/201001/is-marijuana-addictive-you-can-bet-your-heroin

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Weed is addictive. People need to stop with this fantasy that it is the best drug ever.
    Yeah, mushrooms are the best drug ever.
    what needs to happen is to educate people that the mind needs to be respected, treated right and in as many cases as possible, drug free.
    Nonsense. Drugs can give people the best most profound experiences in their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I'm still pretty new here; can someone tell me what sort of legal consequences you'd suffer from obtaining/using marjijuana in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

is any one here a recovering addict ?

:confused:

yas all seem to think you know about addiction... .

Marijuana is not addictive... people get used to coming home after a days work sitting on the couch after the dinner pulling 3 rizallas out lick sticking packing, and roll up. It become a habit the same way some people come home from work a cork a bottle of red, and have a glass, we all have are different relaxing methods.

its called habit... don't confuse the two :rolleyes:

If some ones claiming there addicted to MJ there talking ****e that or there using it as an excuse to continue getting stoned, as they don't wanna stop. There lying through there teath....

heroin is addictive, crack is addictive, coke is addictive...

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I don't see why the level of adictiveness is even an issue. I don't see how it is relevant.

from which side don't you see its an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Robdude wrote: »
    I'm still pretty new here; can someone tell me what sort of legal consequences you'd suffer from obtaining/using marjijuana in Ireland?

It depends on how much your caught with. If you and a few mates where caught smoking it they would just tell you to put it out and search you. Tbh, guards have better things to be doing then locking people up for having a 25 bag or 50 bag.

It depends on how much your caught with. If you and a few mates where caught smoking it they would just tell you to put it out and search you. Tbh, guards have better things to be doing then locking people up for having a 25 bag or 50 bag.

depends if you tell or not and which county you're in tbh
    half an oz in mayo will mean trouble if you don't grass (sic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

ScumLord wrote: »
    Yeah, mushrooms are the best drug ever.

Nonsense. Drugs can give people the best most profound experiences in their lives.

My vote would go to xanax.

Nonsense. Drugs can give people the worst most profound experiences in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

Yeah, why would anyone care about whether or not if it's addictive. People are always so happy with their existing addictions and eager to keep them :rolleyes:

I think you meant to put "Next weak argument" in front of this sentence. This is irrelevant - you think tobacco would be legalized / decriminalised today if it wasn't already so?

Where do you get off dictating to others on how they should live their lives? You're one of those condescending people that try to instill your values on the rest of us. Nobody is coming onto your private property or having a peek inside your home to see if you're living by their standards - why do you feel somehow obligated to do so to others? That is not a free society.

Marijuana is not the problem in and of itself - the illegality of marijuana is the problem. Are you telling me that you trust more the dealers in the street than a legitimate business man under regulatory frameworks? It is precisely the illegality of the plant that causes the violence - don't believe me? Take a look at Prohibition in the United States. America was awash with criminals importing and indeed distilling their own moonshine. These home-brews were not only an enigma as to it's contents but they of course could potentially be dangerous to the buyers health. This era also gave rise to one, Al Capone and other notorious gangsters. The fact that alcohol comes in a fancy label with welcoming words and advertised to different demographics from single women to middle aged men does not reduce the sheer violence alcohol causes on a daily basis across this country.

But what of the plants medicinal benefits - are you smug enough in the fact that cancer patients, elderly women, breast cancer, MS and a catalog of other complaints and illnesses are not to be relieved in whatever way they could be, no matter how minimalistic. Doesn't the suffering patient deserve even that - our compassion? Let's be honest here - there is absolutely no credible reason that marijuana remains outlawed. The only industry directly benefiting from this is the pharmaceutical companies flogging you their brand new super miracle chemical.

The fact that hemp is not only an efficient bio-fuel, it can greatly rollback the massive deforestation occurring throughout our world. The U.S Constitution was written on hemp and the mysterious thing about it's illegality is the fact that to get high, a person would have to smoke a hemp joint the size of a telephone pole. Their is a whole industry to be competed with for hemp - hence it's illegality.

I am all for debating this, but until I receive one credible argument as to why you believe that victimless crimes are to be punished, then you're opinion goes right along in the Establishment "Money-Man" pile along with the last remaining few as the world is waking up to this absurd injustice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Here's an interesting angle right my sis recently asked me to bring weed to my uncles funeral. *** will smoke some!!" pampered young brit who goes to studies business mgmt at a top us college for $30 grand a term. Does he even smoke hmm.. nope... thinks he's a pro golfer but alas just a promising amatuer but we're still the kids essentially with most of the elders in their 50s n beyond; though she's on the verge of 40 I thought at a wake?! of all occasions. immature, lacking class. Their brother passed n she wants me to break out an illegal substance they'd frown upon anyhow.

So I thought ditzy bitch else tryin to get me in **** again but what if it were legal; drink is at wakes anyhow.. personally I only smoke before bed / in private now. I now see it as inappropriate elsewhere so this situational suggestion was wildly distasteful?

Where do you get off dictating to others on how they should live their lives? You're one of those condescending people that try to instill your values on the rest of us. Nobody is coming onto your private property or having a peek inside your home to see if you're living by their standards - why do you feel somehow obligated to do so to others? That is not a free society.

If you're incapable of understanding plain english, that's your problem. I think I was pretty clear in the very post you quoted me on that I'm not against decriminalisation, so please explain to me where in hell you feel I've tried to dictate anything to anyone or where I was peeking into other people's homes to see if they were living by my standards (whatever you've assumed those to be).
    Are you telling me that you trust more the dealers in the street than a legitimate business man under regulatory frameworks? It is precisely the illegality of the plant that causes the violence - don't believe me? Take a look at Prohibition in the United States....
    In the context that, again, I've said numerous times in this thread including the post you quoted that I'm not against decriminalisation, and that I in fact smoke myself, your entire post would be thoroughly laughable if it wasn't so boring and filled with arguments that have been repeated 100 times before.

I'm a real bad hoor wanting to punish these victimless crimes, that you've somehow decided that I want to punish. And I'm the condescending one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

EddyC15 wrote: »
    Wasn't that hemp? I'm sure that's legal here.

There's very little THC in that but it is one of the most useful plants out there. Paper, rope, fuel, medicine, "hempcrete" blocks, it's been used in car panels and it's also good for purifying soil.

The only thing that'll happen if you try to smoke this is you'll get sick. You may as well wrap rubber bands in A4 paper and smoke that.

Hemp and cannabis are same plant it is only in recent times that after anti cannabis laws that a low drug version of cannabis now called hemp was developed.

The stuff he was gowning had the drug in it(Cannabis sativa)

the stuff we grew in Ireland was "Cannabis ruderalis".
    Cannabis ruderalis has a lower THC content than either C. sativa or C. indica; thus, it has little recreational use.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    All those links to "silly arguments for legalisation" completly missed the biggest one:
    "Its a plant dude -how can it be bad ?"

Lot of plants can kill you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Here's an interesting angle right my sis recently asked me to bring weed to my uncles funeral. *** will smoke some!!" pampered young brit who goes to studies business mgmt at a top us college for $30 grand a term. Does he even smoke hmm.. nope... thinks he's a pro golfer but alas just a promising amatuer but we're still the kids essentially with most of the elders in their 50s n beyond; though she's on the verge of 40 I thought at a wake?! of all occasions. immature, lacking class. Their brother passed n she wants me to break out an illegal substance they'd frown upon anyhow.

So I thought ditzy bitch else tryin to get me in **** again but what if it were legal; drink is at wakes anyhow.. personally I only smoke before bed / in private now. I now see it as inappropriate elsewhere so this situational suggestion was wildly distasteful?

This reads like you're on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

LH Pathe wrote: »

I've read this three times and still have no clue what it's about.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    All those links to "silly arguments for legalisation" completly missed the biggest one:
    "Its a plant dude -how can it be bad ?"

Lot of plants can kill you.

List of poisonous plants
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poisonous_plants

ScumLord wrote: »
    Smoking cannabis can under no circumstances be considered healthy or medical.

Eating or vaporising cannabis is the only way someone can legitimately say they're using it for medical purposes. All the lung cancer arguments go out the window once you take smoking out of the picture.

Cannabis can also be used a under the tongue spray.
    Sativex – which is marketed by Bayer Schering Pharma
    http://www.ms-society.ie/uploads/File/Sativex%20Information%20Sheet%20June%202011.pdf

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1288409/Savitex-Cannabis-mouth-spray-MS-relieves-pain-gets-ahead.html#ixzz1lSzr5FXI

Potter’s asthma remedy
    My grand mother was prescribed this my her doctor and inhaled the smoke form it for her Asthma.

Potter’s was a mix of stramonium, lobelia and other agents for the treatment of severe paroxysms of asthma. The powder was to be burned and the fumes inhaled and for outdoor use the cigarettes were recommended. It was produced by Potter & Clarke Ltd of London.

http://inhalatorium.com/_wp_generated/wp1f09104b_28.jpg

"All parts of Datura plants contain dangerous levels of poison and may be fatal if ingested by humans or other animals, including livestock and pets. In some places it is prohibited to buy, sell or cultivate Datura plants.[6]

The active ingredients are the tropane alkaloids atropine, hyoscyamine and scopolamine which are classified as deliriants, or anticholinergics. Due to the high risk of overdose in uninformed users, many hospitalizations, and some deaths,[8] are reported from recreational use.

Datura intoxication typically produces a complete inability to differentiate reality from fantasy (delirium, as contrasted to hallucination); hyperthermia; tachycardia; bizarre, and possibly violent behavior; and severe mydriasis with resultant painful photophobia that can last several days. Pronounced amnesia is another commonly reported effect.[9] The antidote of choice for overdose or poisoning is physostigmine.[10]"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Some semblance of sense in the Czech Republic
    MPs complete legislation aimed at legalizing cannabis for medical purposes

Jan Velinger

A group of Czech MPs from all of the parties in the Chamber of Deputies has completed legislation which could legalise the use of cannabis in the Czech Republic for medical purposes. Currently, thousands of sufferers from debilitating diseases such as Parkinson’s, Lyme borreliosis and multiple sclerosis, have been forced to break the law to obtain marijuana to help ease their pain, a situation which could soon change if the bill passes in the lower house. According to reports, the medical use of cannabis in the Czech Republic could be legal within the year.

A little earlier I spoke about the bill with Dr. Tomáš Zábranský, a leading drugs expert who was involved in the process. “It does represent relief. This was a proposal which was originally pushed forward and driven by pressure from patients’ organisations, people suffering with multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease and other illnesses, so I am very happy that legislators in Parliament took this up and have promised to push it through the Chamber of Deputies. Basically the quick answer is relief, help.”

The bill seems unusual in the sense that representatives of all five Parliamentary parties were able to agree on it – is this the exception?
    “To a degree it is the exception but it isn’t the only one. Last year, in 2011, there was other legislation – as it happens also on drugs – representatives of all the parties were able to agree on a bill banning harmful new substances. So it seems this topic is apolitical.

The other part of the story is that from the start we had strong support from the Czech Medical Association and the initiative was also supported by the head of the lower house Miroslava Němcová. She is really seen as a very decent, unaggressive and unifying person. I’m not sure that all the parties per sae support the availability of medical cannabis to patients, but there are certainly people within the parties who are probably against. That said, 80 percent of the public support patients being able to get medical marijuana, so it might be difficult for some politicians to say out loud ‘We don’t care’.”

Because it is an illegal substance I suppose there is a stigma still attached, but for many experts there’s no doubt that medical cannabis is beneficial, correct?

“There’s none. And, I mean, the first step which the expert group of the Czech government took was to ask 70 different expert communities of Czech medical doctors whether they believed this was evidence-based treatment that they wanted to see in use and the answer from 10 of the societies, including oncologists and neurologists, people who deal with the treatment of pain, said ‘Yes, this is an evidence-based approach and we want to support it’.

“Another thing: you said it is a prohibited substance or plant, but remember there are other precedents in the medical profession. Opium is a forbidden extract from the poppy. At the same time it’s an approved medicine. I mean, heroin probably not but morphine is used on a normal basis. Yet on the street it is an illegal drug. So, there are substances which are prohibited for recreational use but do have a very good application in medicine.”
    http://www.radio.cz/en/section/curraffrs/mps-complete-legislation-aimed-at-legalizing-cannabis-for-medical-purposes

Advertisement