Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is Marijuana Illegal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Heroin and cocaine can be used legally in medicine in Ireland

Heroin for people with terminal cancer is legal.

Cocaine is still legal to use in dentistry as a local anaesthetic.

But Cannabis is not legal for medical use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

It's a illegal because it's such a sh!t boreing drug.

When I used to smoke it just made me very lazy, unmotivated & paranoid.

Can't understand why it's so popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

tdv123 wrote: »

Sounds like it didn't suit you.
    Well done on working that out and moving on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

This 'not one solitary death' line is a load a baloney, imo.

For example, I find it very hard to believe that no one has ever smoked MJ and killed themselves while driving, because of the effects of MJ.

It's common sense to believe that a drug that impairs your reaction speeds and attention could possibly lead to such an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

tdv123 wrote: »

I agree. If I had a penny for every time a few joints ruined what was a lively party...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

Every drug should be legal including heroin,MDMA,crack etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Mercurius

happyman81 wrote: »

For example, I find it very hard to believe that no one has ever smoked MJ and killed themselves while driving, because of the effects of MJ.

It's common sense to believe that a drug that impairs your reaction speeds and attention could possibly lead to such an accident.

The evidence is not so convincing.

http://norml.org/library/item/marijuana-and-driving-a-review-of-the-scientific-evidence#Driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MGHOW

Use of marijuana directly contributes to the prevalence of manchilds and psychotics in society who do not work and claim the dole/disability allowance indefinitely, which cancels out the argument that legalization would be financially beneficial for the country.

The sheer number of media-indoctrinated "liberals" pushing for the destruction of their and their own people's brains is baffling. It shows what a firm grip the elite have on the Western psyche. They will continue the dumbing-down process in all of it's forums until the world average IQ is down to single digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Surely if the lizard overlords wanted to keep us down they would legalise it :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Belfast wrote: »
    Lot of plants can kill you.

Which was kinda the point I was getting at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

MGHOW wrote: »
    They will continue the dumbing-down process in all of it's forums until the world average IQ is down to single digits.
    i reckon the average will always be at or near 100...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

ScumLord wrote: »
    Yeah, mushrooms are the best drug ever.

Nonsense. Drugs can give people the best most profound experiences in their lives.

I actualy agree with this it was daft punk live in marley park my eye balls were like space constellations and I've enevr been so happy ever...

Any time i here daft punk play i give shiver down my spine and think back dude that concert was awesome....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

They will continue the dumbing-down process in all of it's forums until the world average IQ is down to single digits.
    i reckon the average will always be at or near 100...

LOL, 100 is defined as the average and it changes depending on the demographic sampled. So yeah the average will always be the 100 even if you sampled a group of rhesus monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Simply put, marijuana is illegal because the majority of people think it's immoral/dangerous. The majority of pro-cannabis users seem to think the way to legalise it is to buy it illegally from drug dealers, treat the ill-informed with contempt and generally act as if they are more enlightened then mainstream society. The only way cannabis will be legalised is if there is a coherent and directed campaign initiated by knowledgable and charismatic people so that the minds of the anti-cannabis folks can be changed and they can in turn influence their representatives. Spouting on about why cannabis was banned in the first place is pointless. The only "business" with an interest in keeping it illegal in Ireland are drug dealers so a proper legalisation campaign should be easy to put together for people who are focused, ironically a trait which tends to be missing from regular users.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

probably because of the mental health damages. If you smoke even one joint, you increase your likelihood of a psychotic episode by 40%, and this percentage goes up the more you smoke and the younger you are when you smoke.
    I'm not all high and mighty and have smoked before, but can you imagine if it became legalised? There was be a huge craze of it, and the amount of psychotic episodes occuring would naturally rise, potentially causing people to develop illnesses such as schizophrenia as well as experiencing an episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

MagicSean wrote: »
    Simply put, marijuana is illegal because the majority of people think it's immoral/dangerous.

This ^^ is utter nonsense. Did you just feel like making that up for the lols? A quick google will turn up why marijuana is illegal and it's not because of any noble notion - quite the opposite.
    You’ll also see that the history of marijuana’s criminalization is filled with:

Racism*
    Fear
    Protection of Corporate Profits
    Yellow Journalism
    Ignorant, Incompetent, and/or Corrupt Legislators
    Personal Career Advancement and Greed

These are the actual reasons marijuana is illegal.

http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/why-is-marijuana-illegal/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MGHOW

srsly78 wrote: »
    Surely if the lizard overlords wanted to keep us down they would legalise it :confused::confused::confused:

I'm going to ignore the 'lizard overlord' reference and assume you're referring to another group which can be most decisively denominated down to a certain ethnicity or faith, but seeing as on this site references to any minority group in even a slightly negative light is outlawed by the liberal fascists gate-keepers, I'll just refer to them as the 'elites'.

The elites have to influence people's minds before they can legislate new laws. Human beings posses advanced brains capable of reason and logic, which makes it quite a task for the elites to bring in certain laws which are clearly detrimental to the welfare of society without people becoming suspicious. So, in order to do so they must slowly condition people into believing these seemingly bizarre and morally wrong fundamental changes are in fact normal and most importantly they must make the people think think they themselves are coming to these conclusions through their own free choice and logic. How they do this is by putting out propaganda largely through hollywood movies and mainstream news sources.

Weed will be legal, it's just a matter of time and subliminal propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Use of marijuana directly contributes to the prevalence of manchilds and psychotics in society who do not work and claim the dole/disability allowance indefinitely, which cancels out the argument that legalization would be financially beneficial for the country.

The sheer number of media-indoctrinated "liberals" pushing for the destruction of their and their own people's brains is baffling. It shows what a firm grip the elite have on the Western psyche. They will continue the dumbing-down process in all of it's forums until the world average IQ is down to single digits.
    Hey, we just want it legal, not mandatory.
    probably because of the mental health damages. If you smoke even one joint, you increase your likelihood of a psychotic episode by 40%, and this percentage goes up the more you smoke and the younger you are when you smoke.
    I'm not all high and mighty and have smoked before, but can you imagine if it became legalised? There was be a huge craze of it, and the amount of psychotic episodes occuring would naturally rise, potentially causing people to develop illnesses such as schizophrenia as well as experiencing an episode
    You mean like the way Portugal and Holland are full of psychotics who are completely unable to function in society?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭elefant

kylith wrote: »
    Hey, we just want it legal, not mandatory.

You mean like the way Portugal and Holland are full of psychotics who are completely unable to function in society?

And if Marijuana tolerance would lead to more people being unwilling to work, why does the Netherlands have consistently one of, if not the, lowest unemployment rates in Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Belfast wrote: »
    But Cannabis is not legal for medical use.
    I'm open to correction on this (with links to the appropiate statute, not right-wing propaganda), but I think the way it works in Ireland is that all drugs are legal for prescribed medical use but a particular drug must be approved for a particular purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

elefant wrote: »
    And if Marijuana tolerance would lead to more people being unwilling to work, why does the Netherlands have consistently one of, if not the, lowest unemployment rates in Europe?

'Cos Dutch people are strange. Funny that the most boring people in Europe legalised it. One of the lowest consumption rates in Europe though, they are obviously onto something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

probably because of the mental health damages. If you smoke even one joint, you increase your likelihood of a psychotic episode by 40%,

Citation needed.

I presume it is the subclinical study that includes this caveat...........
    "Whether cannabis was causally linked with development
    of schizophrenia among patients in
    our investigation cannot be determined
    since, owing to the study design, it was
    not possible to control for factors such as
    hereditary predisposition, other drug use
    and socio-economic status."

and...
    ...it cannot be determined that cannabis has a causal impact in developing Schizophrenia

Youths should not smoke (anything).... or drink..... that I agree with.
    The rest of your post appears like pure scaremongering christina_x.

This ^^ is utter nonsense. Did you just feel like making that up for the lols? A quick google will turn up why marijuana is illegal and it's not because of any noble notion - quite the opposite.

You are talking about american history. Why is marijuana still illegal in Ireland today? The only one of your reasons that apply to us here in the present is fear and misinformation. The only people who make money from drugs in Ireland are drug dealers. It's not a cash cow for solicitors, gardaí or judges by any means. There are no companies in Ireland that profit from it being illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

Im 25 now, started smoking when i was 15. Used to smoke at least one joint a night. Im not sure to this day if it is addictive or its the routine you get yourself into thats addictive. I found id get very annoyed if i didnt get my joint at night. Was this because i was breaking my routine or weed is addictive? I think its the routine.

Not so long ago. Maybe 6 or 7 months i got in from work. Rolled a big fat one and smoked it all. Then all of a sudden i got a panic attack (no not a whitey or a ghosty, ive had a few of them and know the difference). This was a full blown panic attack. I never had one in my life before and believed i was having a heart attack. Now due to being stoned and never having a panic attack i got all paranoid and made it worse. Heart was about to explode out of my chest, i could hear it beating so loudly. Lasted about 20 mins, started to calm down. Then after that i got the shakes for about an hour. This is due to all the adrenaline.

This freaked the crap out of me. But as being a stoner, the next day i said ah sure ill have a small one and watch game of thrones and see if it happens again. Sure enough i had another panic attack. I decided not to smoke again. I gave up relatively easily because it was a choice of no smoking, or having a panic attack again so the choice was easy. Then a few months later i tried a small joint again. I thought id be ok after a few months. Nope, another panic attack. A few months later again, yep another panic attack.

Now since getting them i suffer quite badly from anxiety and panic disorders which i have never had any problem with before. My point is that weed, without a doubt, messes with your head. This may not happen to many people, but it has happened to me. Yet i still believe that it should be legalised. The benefits of it are HUGE. There are a few side effects, but there are side effects with everything. Its cheap, fun, not as harmful as other drugs, ie alcohol, tobacco. Make it legal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Where in the name of God did you pull that stat from? For fcuks sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The only people who make money from drugs in Ireland are drug dealers. It's not a cash cow for solicitors, gardaí or judges by any means. There are no companies in Ireland that profit from it being illegal.

A simplistic view.

Special interests stand to lose from the legalisation of drugs.

It's been shown to have a positive affect on all sorts of ailments and conditions. That makes it an enemy of the pharmaceutical corporations.

It could rival alcohol as a recreational drug. That makes it an enemy of the alcohol industry.

It could be grown out the back garden. The state would not be able to tax it.

The Gardai, legal people, prison officers, probation officers and customs officials would have less work to do.

It's amazing how many forces have a vested interest in keeping drugs illegal.

A simplistic view.

Special interests stand to lose from the legalisation of drugs.

It's been shown to have a positive affect on all sorts of ailments and conditions. That makes it an enemy of the pharmaceutical corporations.

It could rival alcohol as a recreational drug. That makes it an enemy of the alcohol industry.

It could be grown out the back garden. The state would not be able to tax it.

The Gardai, legal people, prison officers, probation officers and customs officials would have less work to do.

It's amazing how many forces have a vested interest in keeping drugs illegal.

The Gardai and prison officers don't have a vested interest. How could having less work be a vested interest. Surely that would be a good thing? Solicitors don't make too much out of it either. Even if they did, they have no say in the legislature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

The Gardai and prison officers don't have a vested interest.
    Of course they do, if mj was legalized they could spend more of their time and resources dealing with actual criminals.

There's a reason why the gardai will confiscate it and throw it away (or possibly smoke it) without making a big deal about it. Its because they are better trained, streetwise, more experienced and just generally smarter than the muppets who write the laws.

Gurgle wrote: »
    Of course they do, if mj was legalized they could spend more of their time and resources dealing with actual criminals.

There's a reason why the gardai will confiscate it and throw it away (or possibly smoke it) without making a big deal about it. Its because they are better trained, streetwise, more experienced and just generally smarter than the muppets who write the laws.

That's my point. Chuck believes that they would have an interest in keeping it illegal for money/power. I think they wouldn't care if it was legalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

happyman81 wrote: »

Cannabis tends to alter you perception of time. It does impair you but make you think you are driving very fast when you are driving slow.

Any accidents tend to be at a slow speeds.

not a good Idea to take drugs and drive.

I wonder how many people crashed when using prescription drugs like Valium or over the counter cough mixture.

Advertisement