Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is Marijuana Illegal?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I think his slaves planted and grew it though

He grew it all over the country, man.
    He had people growin' it all over the country, you know.
    The whole country back then was gettin' high.

Lemme tell you, man, 'cause he knew he was onto somethin', man.
    He knew that it would be a good cash crop for the southern states, man, so he grew fields of it, man.

But you know what?
    Behind every good man there is a woman, and that woman was Martha Washington, man, and everyday George would come home, she would have a big fat bowl waiting for him, man, when he come in the door, man, she was a hip, hip, hip lady, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Doc wrote: »
    I believe the restricted production of hemp should be allowed for industrial purposes. .

Hemp is already legally allowed for industrial purposes under licence in Ireland

Teagasc grew it for 3 year in Carlow as part of a study.

Publication Date
    June 01, 2010
    Publication Type
    Factsheet
    Pages: 2
    Abstract
    Hemp is a high yielding annual fibre crop producing cellulose, edible proteins, and oils with over 50,000 different product applications across an array of industries. The crop may be grown for both its fibre and oil.
    Viewing Options
    http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/view_publication.aspx?PublicationID=862

THE PERFORMANCE OF CANNABIS SATIVA (HEMP) AS A
    FIBRE SOURCE FOR MEDIUM DENSITY FIBRE BOARD (MDF)
    http://www.teagasc.ie/research/reports/crops/4487/eopr-4487.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Mark200 wrote: »
    I've tried it (legally) but I'd be against the decriminalization..

So basically what youre saying is that youre a hypocrite ?
    So basically what you're saying is that you can't understand a very simple concept? It's funny the ridiculous arguments that some people come out with. If I had said I hadn't tried it but wouldn't support decriminalization, I would have gotten a "so you're judging something without trying it??"

I'll try to put it on simple terms for you. I'll use alcohol as a comparison. I would support a ban on alcohol if a ban would be possible (which its not). Why? Well because according to this morning's metro, 2000 hospital beds every night are taken up for alcohol related reasons. Alcohol cost the health care system €1.2bn in 2007. In the same year, alcohol-related crime cost €1.19bn.

I'm capable of having a social drinks without taking up a hospital bed or committing a crime. In fact, most people are. But that doesn't make it hypocritical to believe that this country would be better off if alcohol could successfully be banned.

Likewise with marijuana. I may be capable of trying it responsibly, but that doesn't make me a hypocrite for thinking that Ireland's laws are better the way they are.

Some people like to bring up the idea of freedoms. But to go back again to alcohol, if someone gets drunk and commits a crime where I'm the victim, then that infringes MY rights. If some drunk idiot takes up a hospital bed when it could have been used for me, then that infringes MY rights. The vast majority of crime is committed by drunk people. Me being able to control myself with alcohol does not make me a hypocrite for thinking a ban would be best.

Likewise with Marijuana. I've been to Amsterdam. It is not a safe place. At one instance, I got offered illegal drugs 3-4 times in a 5 minute walk. My friend was also seriously threatened in that same journey. Me being able to try it does not make me a hypocrite for realising it would make Ireland a worse country to live in.

Simple enough for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

At one instance, I got offered illegal drugs 3-4 times in a 5 minute walk. My friend was also seriously threatened in that same journey. Me being able to try it does not make me a hypocrite for realising it would make Ireland a worse country to live in.

I'm curious as to how you conclude the decriminalisation of marijuana is related to, or responsible for, those experiences.

Would you being tourists in a major city not be a more reasonable assumption as to why you were targeted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

So basically what you're saying is that you can't understand a very simple concept? It's funny the ridiculous arguments that some people come out with. If I had said I hadn't tried it but wouldn't support decriminalization, I would have gotten a "so you're judging something without trying it??"

I'll try to put it on simple terms for you. I'll use alcohol as a comparison. I would support a ban on alcohol if a ban would be possible (which its not). Why? Well because according to this morning's metro, 2000 hospital beds every night are taken up for alcohol related reasons. Alcohol cost the health care system €1.2bn in 2007. In the same year, alcohol-related crime cost €1.19bn.

I'm capable of having a social drinks without taking up a hospital bed or committing a crime. In fact, most people are. But that doesn't make it hypocritical to believe that this country would be better off if alcohol could successfully be banned.

Likewise with marijuana. I may be capable of trying it responsibly, but that doesn't make me a hypocrite for thinking that Ireland's laws are better the way they are.

Some people like to bring up the idea of freedoms. But to go back again to alcohol, if someone gets drunk and commits a crime where I'm the victim, then that infringes MY rights. If some drunk idiot takes up a hospital bed when it could have been used for me, then that infringes MY rights. The vast majority of crime is committed by drunk people. Me being able to control myself with alcohol does not make me a hypocrite for thinking a ban would be best.

Likewise with Marijuana. I've been to Amsterdam. It is not a safe place. At one instance, I got offered illegal drugs 3-4 times in a 5 minute walk. My friend was also seriously threatened in that same journey. Me being able to try it does not make me a hypocrite for realising it would make Ireland a worse country to live in.

Simple enough for you?

The answer is not to ban alcohol but to make people responsable for their actions while under it's influence. If a person were to wake up with a hangover and a hospital bill of €3000 plus a Garda charge sheet for public disorder I can guarantee they wouldn't drink so much next time.

The same can be applied to cannabis, although the only potential problems with legalising cannabis are drug driving incidents and sales to minors, not unlike alcohol in those regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't really see how that relates to Cannabis as cannabis users won't end up in hospital just from using cannabis. Cannabis users won't end up in fights that lead to hospital either. So from a health spending side cannabis use can't be compared to alcohol which carrys way more health risks.
    It wouldn't be better off we'd just hand more money over to the criminal organisations as that's where the alcohol trade would go just because a tiny minority can't handle their drink.

That supposed drug trade only happens in one small area of Amsterdam and it's not even a drug trade, it's guys trying to take advantage of drug tourists and everyone should know they have no drugs at all. The red light in Amsterdam is crawling with police that would pick them up in an instant if they did have drugs. The rest of Amsterdam is lovely and very safe, it's nothing like the red light.

You'll get the same hassle in every tourist city in Europe, I've had the same experience in Barcelona and Prague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Eurodsl

GV2012 wrote: »
    hardly, the yanks have the good chemicals petented since 2003!! :eek:

http://www.safeaccessnow.org/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=2084

run from the cure ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0psJhQHk_GI

and if ya don't believe Rick Simpson then check this 5 minute video showing GW Pharmacy producing the very same oil that would cost you €500 per month to buy from them if and when the Irish "government" are ready to grant a licence for it here!!!!!!!!!! Grow your own and **** the begrudgers!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkp2mXlb6oI

Someone in here with a brain :) Well said mate.
    To most of the other posters, I would suggest you all do some research.. Just so you know what you are talking about first. Do a Google search for "endocannabinoids cancer"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mcpepper111

jimpump wrote: »
    Every drug should be legal including heroin,MDMA,crack etc.

Yes they should because people are either going to do them or they are not. Laws don't stop people from doing things they want to do....laws just slow them down a little. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kevin keating

Legalize it,tax it,open cafes,head shops,pot bakeries,medical marijuana dispensaries,help people,create tourism. the list goes on. unlike alcahol,marijana calms,medicates,feeds animals(hemp) and certainly its not for kids.but seriously,being sensible about it the benifits to individuals ans society far out weigh and negatives.......commom sense please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Party at the Moontower! I love that movie.

mikom wrote: »
    He grew it all over the country, man.
    He had people growin' it all over the country, you know.
    The whole country back then was gettin' high.

Lemme tell you, man, 'cause he knew he was onto somethin', man.
    He knew that it would be a good cash crop for the southern states, man, so he grew fields of it, man.

But you know what?
    Behind every good man there is a woman, and that woman was Martha Washington, man, and everyday George would come home, she would have a big fat bowl waiting for him, man, when he come in the door, man, she was a hip, hip, hip lady, man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

As regards medicinal benefits for me i recently had back pain and foot pain and experienced relief but only after getting totally out the game.
    theres no way i could possibly function to do anything else other than sit watching tv.
    I have felt the need to get some when i dont have some but that could be due to cigarettes (i dont smoke) boredom or indeed addiction to the stuff.
    I have also found myself the odd occasion forgetting things that i should know and my mind going blank but again there could be any reason for that.
    The biggest down side for me is having to deal with drug dealers and of course the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭2218219

This issue must be openly debated using only the facts. Groundless claims, meaningless statistics, and exaggerated scare stories that have been peddled by politicians and prohibitionists. ANNUAL DEATHS CAUSED BY DRUGS.

TOBACCO …………………… 400,000
    ALCOHOL …………………… 100,000
    ALL LEGAL DRUGS ……… 20,000
    ALL ILLEGAL DRUGS ……15,000
    CAFFEINE ……………………. 2,000
    ASPIRIN ……………………… 500
    MARIJUANA …………………. 0
    —————————————-

Capture.PNG

Image%202012-08-30%20at%2011.16.43%20AM.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I think it should be legalized, I have tried it quite a few times and it can be quite enjoyable. However, I can count at least 5 people I know who started off with it and slowly moved onto a lot heavier drugs, and if there is one thing I loathe its slack jawed stoners. So some statements you guys make are ridiculous. Both sides are in extreme denial I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I know plenty people who have used it as a gateway drug and I know quite a few who completely skipped weed and went onto much worse things. Alcohol is just as much a gateway drug, if not far far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I lived with 2 lads before who smoked it. They were smelly stoners, it made them so stupid that sometimes they wouldn't even know what day of the week it was. I smoked a few times and it was a bit of a laugh, but haven't done it for years. The two lads would be like two zombies when they'd smoke. A petrol bomb could come through the window and they wouldn't notice.
    Id say they're probably dead by now, two useless, untidy, smelly wasters.

If it was legalized, at least it could be regulated a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

I don't think people realise that people who end up on hard drugs or as complete wasters were likely to do so anyway. The fact that they used marijuana at some stage in their life shouldnt be seen as the sole reason (or any reason for that matter) that they turned out the way they did

I don't think people realise that people who end up on hard drugs or as complete wasters were likely to do so anyway. The fact that they used marijuana at some stage in their life shouldnt be seen as the sole reason (or any reason for that matter) that they turned out the way they did

+1

idiots = idiots

wasters = wasters

cannabis changes nothing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

holy batman, its another zombie thread.

+1

idiots = idiots

wasters = wasters

cannabis changes nothing

One minute in...........

• Advertisement

Legalize it,tax it,open cafes,head shops,pot bakeries,medical marijuana dispensaries,help people,create tourism. the list goes on. unlike alcohol,marijuana calms,medicates,feeds animals(hemp) and certainly its not for kids.but seriously,being sensible about it the benefits to individuals ans society far out weigh and negatives.......common sense please.

Amen brudda - we could wipe out the national debt with the taxes alone and save untold amounts of money by not sending anyone to jail for use of....Create hookah bars along the same lines as the current alcohol bars and regulate the usage so that people are not just stoned out of their gourds trying to drive....same concept. It's absurd the way things are now. It's simply backwards, stupid, and absurd and the entire bunch of asshats that are against legalizing it, should have to pay for the defense of every single person arrested for using/selling.

mikom wrote: »
    One minute in...........

Okie dokie...

I'll just leave this here....
    The unnamed Garda has invited users of the website Reddit to ‘ask me anything’, as part of the site’s popular AMA series.
    All we know is that this officer works in the southern region of the country and that he/she is in their forties. They’ve been writing under the username Magnum_ip.

And what about legalising cannabis? The Garda said that he/she would:
    legalise immediately, regulate quality, tax proceeds, f**k up organised crime, end recession.

http://www.thescore.ie/garda-ask-me-anything-reddit-anonymous-599271-Sep2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Petrochemical Industry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

"A pair of scientists at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco has found that a compound derived from marijuana could stop metastasis in many kinds of aggressive cancer, potentially altering the fatality of the disease forever...Desprez, a molecular biologist, spent decades studying ID-1, the gene that causes cancer to spread. Meanwhile, fellow researcher Sean McAllister was studying the effects of Cannabidiol, or CBD, a non-toxic, non-psychoactive chemical compound found in the cannabis plant..."

Article from The Huffington Post
    Desprez and McAllister first published a paper about the finding in 2007. Since then, their team has found that CBD works both in the lab and in animals. And now, they've found even more good news.

"We started by researching breast cancer," said Desprez. "But now we've found that Cannabidiol works with many kinds of aggressive cancers--brain, prostate--any kind in which these high levels of ID-1 are present."

Desprez hopes that clinical trials will begin immediately.

"We've found no toxicity in the animals we've tested, and Cannabidiol is already used in humans for a variety of other ailments," he said. Indeed, the compound is used to relieve anxiety and nausea, and, since it is non-psychoactive, does not cause the "high" associated with THC.

Potentially great news for people with cancer and those who enjoy a 'bud'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Because it doesn't have powerful lobby groups backing it like alcohol and tobacco do.
    Yet. Come back in ten years, things will have changed much like they are slowly changing in the US - it will be sold and taxed like any other commodity. That's my guess anyway. Eventually even the dumbest Govt. gets tired of trying to enforce the unenforceable and just taxes it instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭nachocheese

Pottler wrote: »
    Yet. Come back in ten years, things will have changed much like they are slowly changing in the US - it will be sold and taxed like any other commodity. That's my guess anyway. Eventually even the dumbest Govt. gets tired of trying to enforce the unenforceable and just taxes it instead.
    It'll be legalized in some states fairly soon, then the UK and the we'll have the boggers in the dail claiming they were in favour of it since day one and it was all <insert previous government here>'s fault we weren't allowed it.

Or maybe not...this is the same country that put in blasphemy laws in 2009 afterall, don't expect much social/cultural progression here.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭2218219

The higher the demand and attention to legalize Marijuana makes it less likely to become legalized?

Its not like it does much for people who work or have a family anyway, did you ever hear of a parent or a person with a Job smoking weed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

2218219 wrote: »
    The higher the demand and attention to legalize Marijuana makes it less likely to become legalized?

Its not like it does much for people who work or have a family anyway, did you ever hear of a parent or a person with a Job smoking weed?

Plenty of them..

• Advertisement

2218219 wrote: »

People with jobs that smoke 'weed' have to keep it on the down low.

Becouse if you get caught with it you will loose your job.

hence they do not go shouting it from the rooftops.

For example lets pretend that i know a lecture that smokes 'weed'. He cant exatly tell everyone becouse if it gets back to the college he will loose his job regardless of how good a lecturer he is and regardless if he has won awards for teaching. It doesn't matter. He is out of job. simple as

Understand? people with jobs that smoke will not tell you. That would be very counter intuitive.

Advertisement