Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is Marijuana Illegal?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

People with jobs that smoke 'weed' have to keep it on the down low.

Becouse if you get caught with it you will loose your job.

hence they do not go shouting it from the rooftops.

For example lets pretend that i know a lecture that smokes 'weed'. He cant exatly tell everyone becouse if it gets back to the college he will loose his job regardless of how good a lecturer he is and regardless if he has won awards for teaching. It doesn't matter. He is out of job. simple as

Understand? people with jobs that smoke will not tell you. That would be very counter intuitive.

The first job I ever had (which was about 7 years ago) was in a factory that made all sorts of lights. My higher ups all smoked weed & didn't care at all if the employes did or not.

I remember this one day I came in early to work & there was a big hash planet fully grown sitting under these fluorescent lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

A different slant to this; it could be that it's an illegal substance for purely economic reasons.

Bear with me here ...

I've known a lot of regular smokers in my time, upwards of 4-5 days a week users, and one trait they all had in common, bar none is that they were extremely un-productive after smoking. It kills your incentive to do anything other than kick-back and sleep.

Now imagine the populace and the following fall in productivity if it was readily available. It'd be like time wasted on the net X 100.
    Just musing here, can't provide a thread of evidence for this aside from my own opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

2218219 wrote: »
    The higher the demand and attention to legalize Marijuana makes it less likely to become legalized?

Its not like it does much for people who work or have a family anyway, did you ever hear of a parent or a person with a Job smoking weed?

Two bollox statements in a row.
    You really should have gone for the hat-trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭2218219

mikom wrote: »
    Two bollox statements in a row.
    You really should have gone for the hat-trick.

Greetings,

Thank You for your reply. Sorry if I offended you, it was not a direct comment and i'm sure everyone smokes it in their life of course. I also don't directly think that and did not what you to take any harm, attention,etc to that comment.

I am sorry, but I see your doing great in life so keep up the great work !
    Well Done.

Thank You,
    Have an amazing day.

You are clearly a caring mother, bless your heart dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

IrishExpat wrote: »
    I've known a lot of regular smokers in my time, upwards of 4-5 days a week users, and one trait they all had in common, bar none is that they were extremely un-productive after smoking. It kills your incentive to do anything other than kick-back and sleep.

Pure nonsense, cannabis gives you focus which is a great help to productivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

tdv123 wrote: »
    I remember this one day I came in early to work & there was a big hash planet fully grown sitting under these fluorescent lights.

You should really post that in the Astronomy forum too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

Understand? people with jobs that smoke will not tell you. That would be very counter intuitive.

It's probaly for the same reason that I don't discuss my drinking/sugar consumption/religious beliefs at work.

Cause it's none of my workmates or employers business!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

You should really post that in the Astronomy forum too. :D

Hahaha, got me there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

The higher the demand and attention to legalize Marijuana makes it less likely to become legalized?

Its not like it does much for people who work or have a family anyway, did you ever hear of a parent or a person with a Job smoking weed?

Im afraid you probably know plenty of parents who have a wee smoke now and then. They just don't advertise it to you. No offence intended loike.
    I also enjoy a wee puff the odd time, but there are some folk who just don't get it. So they will never know.
    Its all fairly harmless . I don't see why some people get their knickers in a twist over a bit of a planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

One of the primary reasons it's still illegal is to do with lobbying over cotton & hemp exportation in the 17th/18th century.

Don't ask me to recall specifics because I've the memory of a dead badger, but I distinctly remember the information being very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

IrishExpat wrote: »

As opposed to alcohol which makes you super focused and productive?

People usually don't smoke cannabis when they've got **** to do, the same goes for drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I've the memory of a dead badger.

Weed Smoker Alert!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Matt Makins

easyeason3 wrote: »
    You will find that most people who are afraid of marijuana are usually the ones that have never tried it or done any research into it.
    I thought marijuana was a hard drug untill I turned 16, at that age I didn't care any more so I tried it, after about a mounth I decided to look it up on the internet and found out so much about it and how it can help you rather then hurt you, I wouldn't recomend any one to do drugs but when it comes to smoking weed you should try it and actualy do some research on it befor you go around bad-mouthing it and the only reason I called it a drug is because the government class it as one, to me its a herb, medicine, therapist and my best friend all rolled into one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Paddy Dangerfield

its a herb, medicine, therapist and my best friend all rolled into one.

That isn't a healthy perspective. Genuinely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

That isn't a healthy perspective. Genuinely.
    how not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

easyeason3 wrote: »
    You will find that most people who are afraid of marijuana are usually the ones that have never tried it or done any research into it.

Because reading a blog is not research. Ask "Most People" what research is and that's what it entails, random pages on the internet, blog or some youtube video. Actual Research would mean trolling thur peer reviewed journals (online or not), sorting out the bad research from the good, not only reading that paper, but having to read all the other papers it cites.

While its medicinal effects are well known The jury is still very much out on the long term effects of the drug. And by Jury i mean the researchers/experts.

Also i would think most people have never tried it because most people don't smoke in the first place (cigarettes) and b) its Illegal.

Because reading a blog is not research. Ask "Most People" what research is and that's what it entails, random pages on the internet, blog or some youtube video. Actual Research would mean trolling thur peer reviewed journals (online or not), sorting out the bad research from the good, not only reading that paper, but having to read all the other papers it cites.

While its medicinal effects are well known The jury is still very much out on the long term effects of the drug. And by Jury i mean the researchers/experts.

Also i would think most people have never tried it because most people don't smoke in the first place (cigarettes) and b) its Illegal.
    You don't have to smoke weed , it can be consumed or vapourized,being illegal probably makes it more interesting TBH

You don't have to smoke weed , it can be consumed or vapourized,being illegal probably makes it more interesting TBH

Fair enough. But like I said, the long term effects are still unclear, and anyone who says it fine to consume (long term) it is spouting their opinion. As they have no evidence to back that claim up

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Christ on a bike what do you mean no long term evidence, it's been written about for the last 12,000 years, it hasn't effected evolution or killed off our species. It's harmless depending on how you use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Smelly greasy stoners who are afraid of sunlight, and don't even know what day of the week it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If we could ban wasters instead of the weed it would be a bit fairer, instead we pay the wasters to be wasters, it's a beautiful country.

MJ23 wrote: »
    Smelly greasy stoners who are afraid of sunlight, and don't even know what day of the week it is.
    You could apply the same to drinkers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

It's ironic that a remotely harmless drug is illegal when we've got Alcohol and Cigarettes legally available, that have killed millions of people the world over...

Know what I think? It's pharmaceutical companies, they make Hitler look like a Saint, Alcohol and Tobacco companies, that are trying to keep it illegal so they can benefit the most.

Christ on a bike what do you mean no long term evidence, it's been written about for the last 12,000 years, it hasn't effected evolution or killed off our species. It's harmless depending on how you use it.

Well Long term effects is what I said. No Long term evidence.

And those reasons you mentioned are nonsense.

BeerWolf wrote: »
    It's ironic that a remotely harmless drug is illegal when we've got Alcohol and Cigarettes legally available, that have killed millions of people the world over...

Know what I think? It's pharmaceutical companies, they make Hitler look like a Saint, Alcohol and Tobacco companies, that are trying to keep it illegal so they can benefit the most.

Alcohol is socially accepted, even though it s a drug and one can become addicted to it, its still accepted as a social norm.

Cigarettes, more specifically their health effects, were not really front page till the late 70's early eighties, when studies started showing their relationship to cancers and various other health problems.

With their being so much contention over the effects of weed, not just long term but usage (high usage) over the short term, especially among adolescences, do you really think we should make the same mistakes all over again. Allow a drug into the mainstream with possible long term effects??????

Anyway politicians will all have their reasons for not legalizing it. From good reasons to the absurd. Can see it going that way in my life time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Bah, think I'll try nitrous oxide, perfectly legal and doesn't have all this public angst around its consumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Anyway politicians will all have their reasons for not legalizing it. From good reasons to the absurd. Can see it going that way in my life time.

Depends how long you live.............. taking into account your smoking and all that...........

Alcohol is socially accepted, even though it s a drug and one can become addicted to it, its still accepted as a social norm.

Cigarettes, more specifically their health effects, were not really front page till the late 70's early eighties, when studies started showing their relationship to cancers and various other health problems.

With their being so much contention over the effects of weed, not just long term but usage (high usage) over the short term, especially among adolescences, do you really think we should make the same mistakes all over again. Allow a drug into the mainstream with possible long term effects??????

Weed is already mainstream,people that use it according to the law are criminal,to me that law is a crime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Bah, think I'll try nitrous oxide, perfectly legal and doesn't have all this public angst around its consumption.

Cameras ready, prepare to flash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Me. I work in a very high paced environment. My job involves reacting to events. My job is pretty much disaster reaction. last week I got stoned. And I think I got stoned either the week before that or two weeks before.

I don't smoke every night just like I don't drinkevery night. It's actually easier to count how many times per month I'd smoke as opposed to how many times per week. I don't smoke heavily the night before work.

I do have one or two friends who do smoke more often. they smoke nearly every night. They manage quite well but I know I wouldn't, so I don't. The same way I might occasionally have a whiskey or beer after work, but I can't handle it every night.

Advertisement