Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Discworld novel...

Options
  • 30-07-2010 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Working title of Snuff

A "Guards" novel featuring Sam Vimes. No idea yet when it will be in the shops.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Deadly, said I'd mosey into the forum to see if there was any sign of the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Awesome, I love the Nightwatch and Vimes in particular! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Terry Pratchett
    Sir Terry Pratchett’s new Discworld Novel will be launched at Waterstone’s Piccadilly in London at midnight on 1st September.
    For tickets to the launch, which will include a talk between Sir Terry Pratchett and his friend the actor Tony Robinson, followed by Sir Terry’s only bookshop signing

from friendface

pratchett and baldrick, sounds win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

There are rumours of a wedding in store for Carrott and Angua, and possibly... puppies? :eek:

Maybe not yet though ;)

Lets hope Terry can keep churning them out for many more years

from friendface

pratchett and baldrick, sounds win.

That will be I Shall Wear Midnight, a Tiffany Aching novel. I haven't read any of those yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Shall_Wear_Midnight

No idea yet when Snuff will be out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

I was thinking it was strange releasing two together.

I like the Tiffany Aching novels, very clever books about passing on knowledge.

I'm looking forward to this, it's been ages!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Working title of Snuff

A "Guards" novel featuring Sam Vimes. No idea yet when it will be in the shops.

On Wiki it says that Snuff has two meanings.

So it'll either be about the drugs trade in AM, or I dunno, paintings of illegal killings.

Sounds good either way.

Snuff;

From Wikipedia
    Rob (Pratchett's assistant) read an extract from the (in development book) at the 2010 Discworld Convention - the story features Goblins and commences with Sam Vimes going away on a two week holiday (with his wife Sybil) to their country house.

Spoilered; just in case :D

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Since you can snuff candles might we see a certain character from Unseen Academicals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 daithiard

Sir Uncle Terry will prob be sticking to usual form and it'll be released Sept, early oct, his usually release time. HE must be the only author who can release such high quality books, on time consistnatly every year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

From PJSM Prints - The mouthpiece of Terry Pratchett

Pretty sure this is the actual blurb - though it could of course change in between.

Snuff

According to the writer of the best selling crime novel ever to have been published in the city of Ankh-Morpork, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse.

And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe, but many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, occasionally snookered and occasionally out of his mind, but not out of guile. Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.

But not quite all…

Sounds like take on the typical Poiriot novel with a Discworld spin - perhaps inspired by the actor who plays Hercule Poiriot playing whats-his-face in Going Postal.

I was also at the Discworld Convention 2010 and it does sound pretty good - despite the fact that it was the rough draft. Really leaves you wanting more though! :D

Publication date for Snuff 13th Oct according to Amazon

A Discworld whodunnit sounds great. :D
    nicowa wrote: »
    I was also at the Discworld Convention 2010 and it does sound pretty good - despite the fact that it was the rough draft. Really leaves you wanting more though! :D

How was the convention? And will you be going to the Irish one this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

He has a sand-timer in front of him, is he dying? Is he piloting a ship through some sort of underworld? 6 days to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The_Keeper

Just ordered this, looking forward to it, always love a Vimes story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭Daith

Finished it. Not too sure what to make of it. Need to re read it.
    Think my main problem is that I prefer the watch books to be more an ensemble piece rather than just Vimes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Just got mine!

So excited! :D:D:D

Happy-Cat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18 izeult

I'm reading Snuff, enjoying it I have to say. But then again Vimes is my favourite character and I am going to be biased in that regard!

Anyone else reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Finished it, really enjoyed the take on the country novel, tea and drawing rooms as well as the how thing are done around certain parts. Vimes has learned to pretty much make were ever he is his beat, after being a fish out of water at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yarr! Here be Spoilers!

I finished it recently and I must say that I wasn't that taken with it, though my opinion may change after further readings. I felt that there was a lot of repetition (Wilikins is a very Dangerous butler, I get it, you don't have to tell me every time he's mentioned), and I also felt that The Summoning Dark was a bit contrived, especially since it was said in Thud that it had left him. So, it's suddenly come back, and now he can see in the dark and understand all languages? How handy.

That said, I very much liked the goblins, and Young Sam. Like I say it may grow on me when I've read it a couple of more times; I didn't like Monsterous Regiment that much at first either.

Finally reading this now, about half way through. I'm enjoying it so far, more than Unseen Academicals, but as Kylith mentioned the whole Summoning Dark thing seems contrived and a bit overpowering - he didn't need to make Vimes any more awesome than he already was.

I got a kindle for xmas, this is the first ebook I bought so it's a slightly different experience for me reading this "electroncally" compared to all the other Discworld books, but maybe not as different as I expected. I'll report back when I finish it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Haven't got to read it as I'm currently reading Unseen Academicals. To be honest I'd take any Discworld novel as a treat. I hope Terry get's to release his next book Raising Taxes could be the third book in the Moist von Lipwig series, Terry announced the title on 21 September 2007 at the book signing in Torrance, CA. There's also a mention of another possible Discworld Scouting for Trolls novel.

finished it last night and i dont think I can say I didn't enjoy it, but I didn't *really* enjoy it which hasn't happened with a discworld book except maybe monstrous regiment iirc

happily enough it got me to look through my bookshelf for another discworld book and im now just starting guards guards, the difference in writing between the two books is night and day
    ill probably still get the future discworld books for as long as pratchett is able to write them, but I'll get them and leave them on a shelf for a few months until I can be bothered to read them which I just never saw happening with this series.

had a look for my other discworld books after reading guards guards/pyramids/moving pictures/carpe jugulm and a couple of others.. snuff really got me into the mood for more pratchett
    but for some reason 20 or so of my discworld books have gone missing, they're not with any of the books packed up in the sheds and they're nowhere in the house. this is most distressing :/

also "the world of poo" from snuff apparently being released in june. nice bit of in book marketing I guess, although iirc nanny oggs cookbook was pretty funny so maybe this will work too

Advertisement