Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Court for Arbitration in Sport finds in favour of FAI

• 30-07-2010 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭

CAS rule that Daniel Kearns, born in the north, can represent FAI national team.

They've upheld FIFA and FAI position that players 'born within the island of Ireland' are eligible to play for FAI teams. IFA also to pay costs.

Result!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Backing up the decision of both the FAI and FIFA the CAS today has found in favour of the FAI that players born in the 06 are entitled to declare for the Republic of Ireland.

The IFA won't be happy and will be left with having to pay the legal costs of the challenge.

Fantastic news this.

No links to the judgement yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Brilliant news.
    The Football Association of Ireland has confirmed that it has won the case taken to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) by the IFA in relation to Daniel Kearns.

The landmark ruling vindicates the FAI and FIFA position that players born within the island of Ireland are eligible to play for FAI international teams and provides complete and final clarity on the matter.

The ruling comes into force with immediate effect and under the terms of the ruling, the IFA will pay all related costs. The FAI would like to take the opportunity to highlight that it has in recent years had good relations with the IFA. Those were maintained throughout this case and will continue into the future.

Welcoming the ruling, FAI Chief Executive John Delaney said: 'Today's landmark decision by the Court of Arbitration for Sport confirms the FIFA and FAI position on player eligibility. The ruling upholds the right of individual choice on this matter for players born north of the border.

'I would like to thank the many people from all parts of the island who were strongly supportive during this process, and in particular, recognise the determination of Daniel Kearns and his family to uphold his right as an Irish citizen to play for his country.

RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Great delighted with this news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Now anyone and everyone from the North can play for the Republic. The IFA were unwise to take a case IMO. Now everyone knows with the publicity that is going to get.

I do feel somewhat sorry for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If you were the IFA now though, wouldn't you start putting more emphasis into players you feel will actually choose to play for the North?

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    If you were the IFA now though, wouldn't you start putting more emphasis into players you feel will actually choose to play for the North?

Or maybe the IFA will change and make playing for the north a more attractive proposition to nationalists? They could change their anthem and flag in much the same way that the IRFU have in order to accommodate people from a unionist background.

Then again, maybe it will act as a catalyst to having one team for the entire island.

Or maybe the IFA will change and make playing for the north a more attractive proposition to nationalists? They could change their anthem and flag in much the same way that the IRFU have in order to accommodate people from a unionist background.

Then again, maybe it will act as a catalyst to having one team for the entire island.

Really? I always thought the Northern Flag and kit were reasonable compromises in truth. If you are nationalist I would have thought the Republic would be your team of choice no matter the flag of NI.

If you are a trainer now and you have to nominate someone for the scounts to look at or to promote to senior level within a club - I worry now the IFA will be forced to pcik the players whose allegiance isn't in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's very true, it may make the divide even greater, with the IFA focusing on guys that they hope will not just turn around and declare for the FAI

Really? I always thought the Northern Flag and kit were reasonable compromises in truth. If you are nationalist I would have thought the Republic would be your team of choice no matter the flag of NI.

If you are a trainer now and you have to nominate someone for the scounts to look at or to promote to senior level within a club - I worry now the IFA will be forced to pcik the players whose allegiance isn't in question.

Not wishing to go too far down the line of politics but their flag is "a Protestant flag for a Protestant people" so I sincerely doubt that nationalists find it welcoming nor the butcher's apron that many of their fans carry. Their wearing of "Green" has nothing to do with Irish nationalism but harks back to their days as the only Football Association on the island as the FAI broke from the IFA.

The Republic would be team of choice for many nationalists but my point stands... if the IFA made playing for the north a more attractive proposition for young nationalists would they choose it ahead of the Republic?

The Republic would be team of choice for many nationalists but my point stands... if the IFA made playing for the north a more attractive proposition for young nationalists would they choose it ahead of the Republic?

I don't think that will make a blind bit of difference in the next 50 years

If you are brought up on the green side of the divide, regardless of how political you or your family maybe, and you are good enough to play international football, then you are more likely going to head south regardless of what flag or anthem the IFA have.

However the case could always be that it would be easier to get a NI team thus some may take that option and not give a damn about flags or anthems

• Advertisement

Not wishing to go too far down the line of politics

Hmm
    but their flag is "a Protestant flag for a Protestant people"

I'm not sure a discussion is what you actually want here.

Maybe I'll just say "good enough for ye IFA" and leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭nordydan

The IFA are perhaps the most incompetent of all associations.

They asked that the current rules be upheld, not that they be changed.

Doh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Does it work both ways then? For the sake of argument, could a Republic U17 declare for them?

Does it work both ways then? For the sake of argument, could a Republic U17 declare for them?

Nope, there's no provision for someone born in the Republic to become a British citizen in the Good Friday Agreement but there is provision for someone born in the north to be entitled to choose to have either Irish or British citizenship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

No

Hmm

I'm not sure a discussion is what you actually want here.

Maybe I'll just say "good enough for ye IFA" and leave it at that.

Of course we'd have to have some sort of discussion about politics due to the nature of the thread, my point was just that I didn't want the thread being derailed into a discussion on merely politics seeing that it's in the "Soccer" forum.

In saying that what do you mean by "I'm not sure a discussion is what you actually want here."?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The obvious thing for the IFA would be to make playing for Northern Ireland a more enticing and welcoming prospect for Nationalist young players. Get rid of God Save the Queen for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Surely that's it regards the IFA challenging any future changes, they've discussed the matter with the FAI, FIFA and the CAS.

It will be interesting to see in the future if any young lad from a unionist background opts for the Republic on the basis of perhaps pursuing a more prosperous international career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good to hear and I hope this brings an end to the antagonism from the IFA towards these players.

The obvious thing for the IFA would be to make playing for Northern Ireland a more enticing and welcoming prospect for Nationalist young players. Get rid of God Save the Queen for a start.

Yup, I said that earlier in the thread. Get rid of that dirge and the flag and see does it make a difference.

Some might say that this ruling is Karma given what's happened to the likes of Neil Lennon and death threats etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I wonder would it be reasonable for each body to compensate the other should a player play for the opposite juristiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I wonder would it be reasonable for each body to compensate the other should a player play for the opposite juristiction.
    there is no opposite juristiction.a person who is born in NI can be a british or Irish citizen but its not the same for a person born in the rep. of Ireland.

there is already a thread open on the matter:http://http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055984889

yabadabado wrote: »
    there is no opposite juristiction.a person who is born in NI can be a british or Irish citizen but its not the same for a person born in the rep. of Ireland.

there is already a thread open on the matter:http://http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055984889

As far as I know it is. I think anyone on the island can get a UK passport

Wrong on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭briany

The posters on the Northern Irish fan site are pretty livid at this news. Not that I can exactly blame them. They have one whole board called "Football apartheid in Ireland (FAI)" that discusses these matters too with this latest chapter being a real gut punch in their eyes.

On their main board (view from the stands) there's a couple of threads about it already. Here's what "Big Rab" from the banks of the Lagan had to say. This has not been taken out of context either. :
    At the risk of starting a forum firestorm, I'm going to state I'm more inclined to wreck their shiny new stadium.

And :
    The image I now have in my head is not one which I would normally admit, but to hell with it.

I'm thinking of seats being ripped up and thrown, terrified corporate guests from the glitterati of the Irish corporate fraud banking and construction industries being assisted in escaping down corridors away from the maelstrom, Gardai turning away and running in the face of never before encountered violence, the pitch being invaded and coated in industrial strength weedkiller leaving it drier and more parched than Bairbre de Brun's clitoris, the posts being discharged in the direction of the dressing room, Liam Brady struggling to escape over a fence, and all of a sudden flames starting to lick up the back wall of the stand.

That's the sort of thing which will get me banned and probably arrested, but f**k it, it's a more satisfying thought than boycotting a second rate friendly tournament.

If any of ye have an account on that forum, have a read. It makes for interesting reading if nothing else.

These defections are unfortunate but it is within the rules and I won't be worried if they aid the team to be quite honest. What I am worried about is that they are getting the Irish team a lot of heat from sectors of the Northern Irish and Scottish football communities and this four nations job next year could turn ugly. Frankly, I don't want their more reactionary fans coming here if they are going to cause trouble. No doubt there'd be a few heads down our way too who'd oblige them if that was what the visitors so wished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

iirc people born before the foundation of the rep. of Ireland can get a uk passport.im talking back in the 40's(1949) so i doubt the IFA are that hard up.

The image I now have in my head is not one which I would normally admit, but to hell with it.

I'm thinking of seats being ripped up and thrown, terrified corporate guests from the glitterati of the Irish corporate fraud banking and construction industries being assisted in escaping down corridors away from the maelstrom, Gardai turning away and running in the face of never before encountered violence, the pitch being invaded and coated in industrial strength weedkiller leaving it drier and more parched than Bairbre de Brun's clitoris, the posts being discharged in the direction of the dressing room, Liam Brady struggling to escape over a fence, and all of a sudden flames starting to lick up the back wall of the stand.

That's the sort of thing which will get me banned and probably arrested, but f**k it, it's a more satisfying thought than boycotting a second rate friendly tournament.

Oh dear, he doesnt seem best pleased.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭briany

No he does not. I'll give him this ,though, he does paint a vivid picture.....

To be quite fair though, that's probably the most reactionary statement on that particular thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hmm...sure that's not a LOI fan? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

If people who are born in Northern Ireland and whose parents and grandparents are from Northern Ireland...if they can play for the Republic because they have an Irish passport...I wonder will that therefore allow people who are born in England and whose parents and grandparents are from England play for Northern Ireland as they have a British passport???

briany wrote: »
    The posters on the Northern Irish fan site are pretty livid at this news. Not that I can exactly blame them. They have one whole board called "Football apartheid in Ireland (FAI)" that discusses these matters too with this latest chapter being a real gut punch in their eyes.

On their main board (view from the stands) there's a couple of threads about it already. Here's what "Big Rab" from the banks of the Lagan had to say. This has not been taken out of context either. :

If any of ye have an account on that forum, have a read. It makes for interesting reading if nothing else.

These defections are unfortunate but it is within the rules and I won't be worried if they aid the team to be quite honest. What I am worried about is that they are getting the Irish team a lot of heat from sectors of the Northern Irish and Scottish football communities and this four nations job next year could turn ugly. Frankly, I don't want their more reactionary fans coming here if they are going to cause trouble. No doubt there'd be a few heads down our way too who'd oblige them if that was what the visitors so wished.

I think if I went on to a Republic of Ireland supporters forum when FAI had lost a pretty big decision to the IFA like this one...then I'm sure I could cherry-pick one or two interesting statements.
    As a Northern Ireland supporter I am disappointed with decision...and the FAI's willingness to poach players who have no family ties to the Republic...it is a bit desperate of them...but we don't want players who don't want to play for us!!! I don't think any country or football club want that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

By the time the friendly tournament comes round this will all have died down and as usual I'm sure it's a small vocal section that give us the worst impression. That said I'm sure the gardai will be extremely vigilant in policing the game as they will be on high alert

Paul4As wrote: »
    .I wonder will that therefore allow people who are born in England and whose parents and grandparents are from England play for Northern Ireland as they have a British passport???

They have a gentlemans agreement to address this. In the case you suggest, all English players must have been born in England or have parents or grandparents who have done so.

In the case of been born outside of the UK to British citizens, they may choose any of the 4 teams. For instance Maik Taylor was born in Germany to an English father and German mother so he was entitled to British citizenship. He chose NI, despite no Northern Irish bloodline...... funny the IFA always seem to forget that in this current debate!

In the case of been born outside of the UK to British citizens, they may choose any of the 4 teams. For instance Maik Taylor was born in Germany to an English father and German mother so he was entitled to British citizenship. He chose NI, despite no Northern Irish bloodline...... funny the IFA always seem to forget that in this current debate!

That is so illogical. Born in UK you cannot choose. Born outside UK to British parents you can...?

Ok appears I was wrong about the passport thing. I thought it was in place for people in the Republic with Protestant heritage who identify with the UK. I know guys from Donegal who support NI etc. I think a special rule should be in place for allowing them to play for NI even if they don't have grandparents from there.

Anyway really have limited sympathy for the IFA. They go on about making it an inclusive organisation but how the f*ck they reasonably expect someone from an nationalist/republican background to play under the anthem of GSTQ is beyond me.

Guess the real danger for them is people from a unionist background start declaring for the republic. Then they're only a a few steps away from an all-island team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Result!:)

I assume we'll have the same joyous opinion if/when it goes the other way at some point and potentially very gifted lads that are eligle have a barny with the FAI or somesuch.

It's all well and good as long as it's one way traffic.

Personnally if I was born in the north I'd be playing for them. If we suddenly made some political agreement sayign English people are entitled to Irish passports would everyone that has a moan about "english rejects" be similarly happy to have them then?

Ok appears I was wrong about the passport thing. I thought it was in place for people in the Republic with Protestant heritage who identify with the UK. I know guys from Donegal who support NI etc. I think a special rule should be in place for allowing them to play for NI even if they don't have grandparents from there..

It should be like that. Seems it's ok though to take players but the thought of the possibility of losing some doesnt appeal.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    I assume we'll have the same joyous opinion if/when it goes the other way at some point and potentially very gifted lads that are eligle have a barny with the FAI or somesuch.

It's all well and good as long as it's one way traffic.

Personnally if I was born in the north I'd be playing for them. If we suddenly made some political agreement sayign English people are entitled to Irish passports would everyone that has a moan about "english rejects" be similarly happy to have them then?

It should be like that. Seems it's ok though to take players but the thought of the possibility of losing some doesnt appeal.

This scenario is non-comparable.. flirting dangerously with a political discussion here but there is a genuine and valid reason for people born in the 6 counties to acquire Irish passports. There is no such valid reason to have "political agreement sayign English people are entitled to Irish passport"

how the f*ck they reasonably expect someone from an nationalist/republican background to play under the anthem of GSTQ is beyond me.

Never stopped the likes of Jennings and O' Neill in the past. Plus I recall reading that most of the NI team that played in the WCQ in November 1993 were Catholic

Where they all doing it under protest ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I think if I went on to a Republic of Ireland supporters forum when FAI had lost a pretty big decision to the IFA like this one...then I'm sure I could cherry-pick one or two interesting statements.
    As a Northern Ireland supporter I am disappointed with decision...and the FAI's willingness to poach players who have no family ties to the Republic...it is a bit desperate of them...but we don't want players who don't want to play for us!!! I don't think any country or football club want that!!!
    But you're forgetting the key point here, namely that Northern nationalists were forced against their will to be part of a "country" that they never wanted in the first place. You say they have "no family ties to the Republic", but you're forgetting the fact that they are the same nationality, they are Irish!! They see Ireland as one country and see themselves as Irish, this is the only thing that matters. Thus they have every right The Good Friday agreement enshrines this law, an agreement which was voted for the majority of the Unionist population in the North. I'm sorry but the IFA don't have a leg to stand on in this situation.

grenache wrote: »
    But you're forgetting the key point here, namely that Northern nationalists were forced against their will to be part of a "country" that they never wanted in the first place. You say they have "no family ties to the Republic", but you're forgetting the fact that they are the same nationality, they are Irish!! They see Ireland as one country and see themselves as Irish, this is the only thing that matters. Thus they have every right The Good Friday agreement enshrines this law, an agreement which was voted for the majority of the Unionist population in the North. I'm sorry but the IFA don't have a leg to stand on in this situation.

I doubt many footballers are that politicized, all they may wish to do is play football

Will be interesting to see how many actually take up the offer in the next few years

Never stopped the likes of Jennings and O' Neill in the past. Plus I recall reading that most of the NI team that played in the WCQ in November 1993 were Catholic

Where they all doing it under protest ?

I'd imagine most of them would rather be playing for the republic.

Wonder will there be some kind of backlash now in the 6 counties toward players from nationalist backgrounds. I mean will clubs look to favour players more likely to play for ni? I don't know the structures of youth football there well enough to speculate properly though.

• Advertisement

Guess the real danger for them is people from a unionist background start declaring for the republic. Then they're only a a few steps away from an all-island team.

No one from a unionist background will play for the Republic...they will aspire to play for the country they were born in!!!
    I think this decision made has well and truly put the nail in the coffin of any all-island team!!!
    What this has done has more or less stopped soccer in Northern Ireland from uniting the two communites...what it means is players who consider themselves British will play for Northern Ireland...and players who consider themselves Irish will play for the Republic!!!
    The Good Friday Agreement was a political thing...it should be kept out of sport!!!

If people who are born in Northern Ireland and whose parents and grandparents are from Northern Ireland...if they can play for the Republic because they have an Irish passport...I wonder will that therefore allow people who are born in England and whose parents and grandparents are from England play for Northern Ireland as they have a British passport???

Don't be so stupid. Know your history. The ignorance of some of the stuff posted on that forum is unbelievable too.

Irish people in "Northern Ireland" can and will play for the Republic if they so wish.

What a ridiculous post, even more so that your living in the North.

I'd imagine most of them would rather be playing for the republic.

Wonder will there be some kind of backlash now in the 6 counties toward players from nationalist backgrounds. I mean will clubs look to favour players more likely to play for ni? I don't know the structures of youth football there well enough to speculate properly though.

All the previous great players for Northern Ireland like Pat Jennings and Gerry Armstrong etc. could not have cared less about unionism or nationalism...they loved pulling on the green shirt (or yellow in Pat's case) and the supprters loved them as well!!!
    It was about the football...which is what it should be about....not whether you are Irish or British!!!
    As for a backlash in Northern Ireland over players who choose to play for our southern neighbours...what are you getting at??? :confused:...as a Northern Ireland supporter I wish them all the best...just like the IFA does for Daniel Kearns!!! We don't want him if his heart is not in it!!!

Le King wrote: »
    Don't be so stupid. Know your history. The ignorance of some of the stuff posted on that forum is unbelievable too.

Irish people in "Northern Ireland" can and will play for the Republic if they so wish.

What a ridiculous post, even more so that your living in the North.

Ridiculous post...are you on something??? :confused:
    I'm not objecting to Irish people who are born in Northern Ireland and have no family ties with Northern Ireland playing for the Republic...sure it is allowed now...I'm just saying that as Northern Ireland is part of the UK...then going on the passport...a British player from England should be allowed to play for Northern Ireland!!!
    Perfectly logical thinking!!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I had an argument with my friend the other day actually about players that may have declared for Ireland had of been more publicly known that there was never an issue with them declaring in the first place.

Basically he reckons that Neill lennon would of declared , i argued and said that Neill Lennon comes from a Nationalist background / Family and he didn't declare because he would not of gotten his place. So basically he Played football for NI because he wouldn't of gotten on for Ireland at that time :-)

No one from a unionist background will play for the Republic...they will aspire to play for the country they were born in!!!
    I think this decision made has well and truly put the nail in the coffin of any all-island team!!!
    What this has done has more or less stopped soccer in Northern Ireland from uniting the two communites...what it means is players who consider themselves British will play for Northern Ireland...and players who consider themselves Irish will play for the Republic!!!
    The Good Friday Agreement was a political thing...it should be kept out of sport!!!

Hypocrisy. If you really wanted to unite the two communities you would get rid of the national anthem etc. Look at Neil Lennon, the Unionist bigots drove Neil Lennon away, why should any Irishman be forced to play for a team supported by so many bigots? Who clearly didn't want any nationalists playing for the team.

When your fans are singing about the "beggars" etc they are singing songs about the nationalist community. Why should an Irishman have to put up with that shíte.

Maybe if you got rid of all your bigot songs, your pro-unionism anthem and your flag then maybe Nationalists will want to play for you.

Until then, don't complain. Because ye haven't a leg to stand on.

Easy solution would be to make everything neutral eg. the Anthem. But sure you keep your songs, your flags and your anthems and we'll continue to not play for your team.

Le King wrote: »
    Hypocrisy. If you really wanted to unite the two communities you would get rid of the national anthem etc. Look at Neil Lennon, the Unionist bigots drove Neil Lennon away, why should any Irishman be forced to play for a team supported by so many bigots? Who clearly didn't want any nationalists playing for the team.

When your fans are singing about the "beggars" etc they are singing songs about the nationalist community. Why should an Irishman have to put up with that shíte.

Maybe if you got rid of all your bigot songs, your pro-unionism anthem and your flag then maybe Nationalists will want to play for you.

Until then, don't complain. Because ye haven't a leg to stand on.

Easy solution would be to make everything neutral eg. the Anthem. But sure you keep your songs, your flags and your anthems and we'll continue to not play for your team.

The Neil Lennon incident was about 9 or 10 years ago...since then the IFA have worked really hard with their Football For All project and kick sectarianism out of football project...Northern Ireland fans actually won the best supporters in Europe award in 2006.

http://www.irishfa.com/news/item/2390/northern-ireland-fans-are-officially-the-best-in-europe/

Northern Ireland supporters love any player willing to play for the shirt...young Niall McGinn of Celtic got the loudest cheer of the night a few games ago when he came on as sub!!! We don't care whether the player is catholic, muslim whatever!!!

We don't sing any bigot songs at our games by the way...family atmosphere...you should come along and see for yourself!!! Though...with the picture you seem to have in your mind of the GAWA...I don't think you'll be taking that offer up!!!

We can't help what are flag is or our national anthem is!!!...been like that for years!!! But we have taken sectarianism out of match days...which is a huge step!!!

By the way I can complain as much as I like!!!

This scenario is non-comparable.. flirting dangerously with a political discussion here but there is a genuine and valid reason for people born in the 6 counties to acquire Irish passports. There is no such valid reason to have "political agreement sayign English people are entitled to Irish passport"

I am not arguing with the fact that a person born in Northern Ireland shouldn't have an Irish passport...they should be able to...what confuses me is that in FIFA rules to play for a country you must have family roots in that country!!!
    Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland...unless I'm mistaken...are two different countries in FIFA's eyes (they are two separate international teams)...so how can they allow a player with no family roots in a country play for that country??? :confused:
    If they do allow it in the case of Northern Ireland and the Republic...then they should do it in the case of Northern Ireland and other countries from mainland UK!!! As Northern Irish people can hold British or Irish passports!!!

If Craig Bellamy hadn't have played for Wales...on the British passport rule maybe he may have played for the GAWA???

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1166223/Wales-skipper-Bellamy-Northern-Irish-turn-green-envy.html

Whoever chooses to play for us from whatever religion or nationality...they're playing for the best supporters in the world!!! :D

I am not arguing with the fact that a person born in Northern Ireland shouldn't have an Irish passport...they should be able to...what confuses me is that in FIFA rules to play for a country you must have family roots in that country!!!
    Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland...unless I'm mistaken...are two different countries in FIFA's eyes (they are two separate international teams)...so how can they allow a player with no family roots in a country play for that country??? :confused:
    If they do allow it in the case of Northern Ireland and the Republic...then they should do it in the case of Northern Ireland and other countries from mainland UK!!! As Northern Irish people can hold British or Irish passports!!!

Are you suggesting that NI should be allowed to call up a Welsh youngster on the basis that they hold a British passport? Well in that case, as far as I undertand anyway, FIFA would have no issue with that but there is a gentlemans agreement amongst the Home Nations. I think this is the case anyway but I do stand to be corrected.

As far as FIFA see it, anyone who holds the passport of a particular country is entitled to play for that country. The grey area is that there are 5 international countries but only 2 sets of passports with an overlap in NI.

It would be a lot easier if there was a UK national football team and an-All Ireland team. That way anyone who identify with Britain could play for the UK and anyone who identified as Irish would play for Ireland. Never ever happen though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement