Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor pussy

Options
  • 30-07-2010 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

My In laws are moving house at the moment

As part of the whole house move, obviously their house has been turned upside down getting stuff ready. Anyway, their cat seemed in very bad form all week, and yesterday morning she just went lost completely.

Then, as they were cleaning out a cubby hole in the house last night, there was the cat. She had the most dejected look I have ever seen on an animal. When the sister in law tried to take her out of there, she just clung in there. No way was she leaving, even fought somewhat to be put down, whcih she never does. She is usually very affectionate and all.

Im amazed by it. Its as if the cat knows exactly whats going on and completely dissaproves. I feel really sorry for her.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Awww poor kitty.
    Not the greatest cat fan but she has my sympathies on the move!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Poor cat! They really hate change! It may not understand exactly what was going on but probably all the packing & stress freaked it out.

I've moved my cats twice & they have been quite upset for a few weeks & then usually don't REALLY settle until about 4 months! I find the best thing is to bring their usual sleeping bedding etc and keep them in one room for the first day & gradually let them explore the house. (Keep them inside for at least 2 weeks).

They just need to have a place they can hide in & feel safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Cats (and dogs probably too) are very sensitive to even small changes in routine. Our 2 cats start acting very odd in the few days leading up to us going on holiday for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If I didnt feel so sorry for the cat, i would actually find it hilarious that the cat is the one who is most odd about moving.

The dog is oblivious to it all, but then, he isn't the cleverest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

When we start getting ready to stay with Mr Xiney's parents in Sligo, the cat knows what's up. Just before we're ready to leave he'll go hide under the bed... and it's not easy to get him out.

He doesn't particularly like the ride in the car in his crate, but once we're at the parents he's cock of the walk and loves it there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Still in hiding upstairs. She is trying to make a break for the door anytime its opened, but we not leaving her out a while yet.

Strange one this. The cat now has walked out the back garden a few times, but then turns and bolts back indoors and hides for ages again. She actually went completely missing in the hosue the other day. She reappeared siting on the guest bed, looking like she knoew she had caused trouble.

4 weeks on though and the cat still seems distraught.

The poor fecker is going to have to go through it all again soon when the sister in law moves out. I wonder will it be as bad next time, as then she will just be put into her cat box and arrive at the new home, while last time she pretty much observed the whole house being dismantled?

She finally made the big transition over the weekend and went out, hopped the back wall and spent some time on the neighbours shed. She then came back in and has been cowering in her usual spots indoors again.

I know someone said it could take up to 4 months, but its been 6 weeks now with very little improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Don't worry, she'll get there eventually.

One cat of mine took about 6 months to get totally comfortable in the new house. I was stressed because she was stressed and it was all pretty horrible.:D She's grand now though!

Advertisement