Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle 2

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Hi guys,

A "friend" of mine is on the verge of buying a kindle. However, being the cheap skate that "he" is, he will more than likely be downloading his books from sources that dont charge and then using this Calibre program to convert them to the correct file type(if necessay) before transferring them to his kindle.

Is there any potential issues with this (presuming its possible of course)? Is there anyway Amazon can detect that you have an illegal copy of a book on your Kindle?

Many thanks in advance. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

stdidit wrote: »
    Hi guys,

A "friend" of mine is on the verge of buying a kindle. However, being the cheap skate that "he" is, he will more than likely be downloading his books from sources that dont charge and then using this Calibre program to convert them to the correct file type(if necessay) before transferring them to his kindle.

Is there any potential issues with this (presuming its possible of course)? Is there anyway Amazon can detect that you have an illegal copy of a book on your Kindle?

Many thanks in advance. :)

Lol at "Friend", you can tell him that all is good with Calibre and not to worry..;)

bryaner wrote: »
    Lol at "Friend", you can tell him that all is good with Calibre and not to worry..;)

Nice one, cheers. My "Friend" will be delighted :D

Reading through this thread, I was actually surprised at the amount of people who mention buying and paying for their e-books but maybe its because of my IT background that I have become used to the alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Nice one, cheers. My "Friend" will be delighted :D

Reading through this thread, I was actually surprised at the amount of people who mention buying and paying for their e-books but maybe its because of my IT background that I have become used to the alternative.

Whatever about your peace of mind, do appreciate that many (all?) of the freebies that are available are or seem to be scanned-in versions, run through an OCR program such as is done with Project Gutenberg.Thus there are odd mis-spellings or stray capitalisations (and too man-y hyp-hen-ations)and there may not be the smooth chapter listing and index to allow instant access to other parts of the book that you DO get with official Kindle files.
    That's not a great problem for say novels where you are most likely going to just read through in sequence. For reference works that might be a problem.

I haven't yet seen a de-DRM-ised genuine Kindle file (perhaps having been liberated via Calibre) so I can't say if this operation is faultless.

Thanks for the info dowtchaboy. I've ordered my kindle in the past hour so hopefully this wont be too much of a problem if any at all. I've also started downlading some books so I can put them straight on in when it arrives.

I will comment on the quality when I get setup in case others are interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

The vast majority of kindle books I've bought from Amazon have also been scans. Some of the mistakes have been pretty shocking. That said books I've got from elsewhere have been worse on average.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well maybe some people want to pay for it because they think the author deserves the money for all their hard work? The author can't live on nothing. If they stop getting money, they'll stop writing.

It's not comparable to music or TV shows either because this is the sole stream of income for the author. They don't have DVD sales or concerts. The book sales are what lets them sink or swim (only a miniscule would have TV shows or movies). The structure of Amazon's Kindle sales also means that there can be a more direct line of income for authors releasing their own titles - so you can feel the money would actually go to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 niall2701

last Feb the new Raymond E Feist book was released in book form. I needed it in Ebook form. I emailed every single Ebook retailer that I could find and i emailed the publisher in order to get a date for the Epub version. Not one reply. After 3 weeks of looking for a legal copy I found a version on a torrent site. In March I found a legal copy and bought it too as it's important that authors get their money.

When I transferred my book collection to my ereader I had no problem D/L books I had from torrent sites as I'd already paid for them but I'd feel bad not buying new books

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

I'm thinking of getting the new Kindle touch(or Kindle keyboard) delivered to a friend of mine who lives in Chicago and will be home for Xmas. I was wondering will purchasing it from America and then registering it etc. pose any compatability issues when I use it here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

ixoy wrote: »
    Well maybe some people want to pay for it because they think the author deserves the money for all their hard work? The author can't live on nothing. If they stop getting money, they'll stop writing.

It's not comparable to music or TV shows either because this is the sole stream of income for the author. They don't have DVD sales or concerts. The book sales are what lets them sink or swim (only a miniscule would have TV shows or movies). The structure of Amazon's Kindle sales also means that there can be a more direct line of income for authors releasing their own titles - so you can feel the money would actually go to them.

I've found most of people that I read are dead. Granted there rights are long expired, I really do love Guttenburg. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

No it wont make any difference as it will be registered to your account on amazon, which you can reset online anywayto another person.

Why send it to Chicago when it only took 3 days for mine to arrive from the US

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

No it wont make any difference as it will be registered to your account on amazon, which you can reset online anywayto another person.

Why send it to Chicago when it only took 3 days for mine to arrive from the US

Free delivery and no custom charges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Alpish wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting the new Kindle touch(or Kindle keyboard) delivered to a friend of mine who lives in Chicago and will be home for Xmas. I was wondering will purchasing it from America and then registering it etc. pose any compatability issues when I use it here?

No problems, with the Kindle 3 at least. I got mine in the US and registered it here. You can even change the reg back and forth to your UK Amazon if you want. It comes (at least the Kindle 3 I got did) with both US and UK English dictionaries. And when it died (or I broke it.....) they replaced it no bother - from the US by UPS, duty paid and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

So guys why don't I seem to be able to order the new Kindle wifi/3G for delivery to Ireland?

If I try, it directs me to the non-us page which does not offer the 3G version.

Thanks

Andy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Folks does the Kindle with free 3G and Wifi they are selling in Tesco have touch screen functionality as well as the keyboard and web browsing?

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Kasabian wrote: »
    Folks does the Kindle with free 3G and Wifi they are selling in Tesco have touch screen functionality as well as the keyboard and web browsing?

Thanks

No touchscreen on that model

• Registered Users Posts: 7 albio

I bought the Wi-Fi Kindle 4 at the Airside Currys/PC World outlet this weekend for €109; just setting it up now and very pleased with it; looking forward to checking out the advice from others on boards.ie. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Kasabian wrote: »

Thanks
    Neither of the Kindles Tesco is selling are touchscreen - even the one without the keyboard! It has an on screen keyboard but you would select letters using the "5 way controller" ... the square rocker button. It doesn't sound very user friendly, but if you only read and don't take notes (or web browse) then it probably wouldn't matter to you.

Advertisement