Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy s. V Htc Desire

Options
  • 30-07-2010 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Can you knowledgeable lot help me out. I need a phone asap, should i get the samsung or wait for the desire. Never had a touch screen phone before so it's a whole new world for me.
    What does one have that the other doesn't

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Galaxy is available now. GSM Arena have a nice compare phone specs function:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3115&idPhone2=3077

They also have in-depth reviews of both phones.

The Galaxy is the second highest ranked phone, going by votes on that site. The Desire ranks third.

They are both very good phones in truth. It will probably boil down to how soon 'asap' is for you, as the Desire seems to be hard to get hold of at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

There does not seem to be a lot between them, Im going to wait for the Desire to come back into stock and get one, I was in the CPW during the week and found the Galaxy S to be to big in my hand and would find it difficult to type with one hand, also preferred the look of the desire.

In this review the reviewer cannot pick a winner:

http://www.mobileshop.com/blog/mobile-phone-blogs/htc-desire-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-the-uber-powerful-showdown/

In this review the Desire beats both Iphone 4 and Galaxy S:

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/htc-desire-vs-iphone-4-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-702739?artc_pg=9

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭t.henno66

cnocbui wrote: »
    The Galaxy is available now. GSM Arena have a nice compare phone specs function:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3115&idPhone2=3077

They also have in-depth reviews of both phones.

The Galaxy is the second highest ranked phone, going by votes on that site. The Desire ranks third.

They are both very good phones in truth. It will probably boil down to how soon 'asap' is for you, as the Desire seems to be hard to get hold of at the moment.

Brilliant comparison site, thanks
    Automan wrote: »
    There does not seem to be a lot between them, Im going to wait for the Desire to come back into stock and get one, I was in the CPW during the week and found the Galaxy S to be to big in my hand and would find it difficult to type with one hand, also preferred the look of the desire.

In this review the reviewer cannot pick a winner:

http://www.mobileshop.com/blog/mobile-phone-blogs/htc-desire-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-the-uber-powerful-showdown/

In this review the Desire beats both Iphone 4 and Galaxy S:

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/htc-desire-vs-iphone-4-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-702739?artc_pg=9

Going by cnocbui's post i decided on the samsung but now i'm confused again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Can anyone with a galaxy S confirm if it has a T9 keyboard for texting or just qwerty?

t.henno66 wrote: »

Going by cnocbui's post i decided on the samsung but now i'm confused again :-)

Use the 'force', Luke.
    eireal wrote: »
    Can anyone with a galaxy S confirm if it has a T9 keyboard for texting or just qwerty?

If you follow that link I gave above to the specs, you will see the galaxy is said to have T9.

• Advertisement

I got the samsung, does anyone know if it should come with a memory card as there's not one with it and the seal on the box was broken

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Galaxy S doesn't come sd card, but has either 8 or 16 GB internal memory depending on the model.

tibor wrote: »
    Galaxy S doesn't come sd card, but has either 8 or 16 GB internal memory depending on the model.

Ok, it's just saying "warning not enough memory" when i put the camera on. I haven't loaded anything onto it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Ok, it's just saying "warning not enough memory" when i put the camera on. I haven't loaded anything onto it yet
    To be honest, you should have got the Desire. The hardware differences are worthless compared to the quality and support of the Desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Beware of GSMarena when comparing specs as they're frequently wrong.

• Advertisement

To be honest, you should have got the Desire. The hardware differences are worthless compared to the quality and support of the Desire.

To be honest, he made the right choice and purchased the superior phone.

cnocbui wrote: »
    To be honest, he made the right choice and purchased the superior phone.
    I could say a drag car with 1000HP is "superior" relative to a Ferrari. When my 1000HP dragster has issues, i'm on my own. When my Ferrari has issues, I'll have the full support of Ferrari (And to a certain extent other Ferrari owners).

All it really has over the Desire is it's PowerVR GPU which to be quite honest is a waste since even the most GPU intensive games are optimised to run well on the Nexus One (And such the Desire). The Desire however benefits from...

-Sense UI
    -FAR Better software support from HTC
    -FAR bigger developer community
    -Camera Flash
    -USB On-The-Go (With a Kernel mod)
    -Better build quality (Subjective but nevertheless anyone who has held the two knows what i'm on about)

Even look here on boards. This entire subforum consists almost entirely out of HTC devices with the Desire, Hero and Nexus One forming the majority of the posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

All it really has over the Desire is it's PowerVR GPU which to be quite honest is a waste ...

To be fair it also has a SuperAMOLED 4" screen, which every single review I've read has raved about...

Ix

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

so what for the amoled screen? new desire has super lcd screen better colours and better battery life...really the poor quality of samsung doesnt compare to the build quality of HTC phones!!

so what for the amoled screen? new desire has super lcd screen better colours and better battery life...really the poor quality of samsung doesnt compare to the build quality of HTC phones!!

The Galaxy has S-AMOLED screens, they're a marked improvement over the standard AMOLED fair, but then again I'm sure that the tiresome "Android is only worthy on the HTC Desire brigade" will find some way to mark it down as a disadvantage.

The Galaxy has S-AMOLED screens, they're a marked improvement over the standard AMOLED fair, but then again I'm sure that the tiresome "Android is only worthy on the HTC Desire brigade" will find some way to mark it down as a disadvantage.
    The Super AMOLED IS better than regular AMOLED but the primary advantage is it's visibility under direct sunlight. With the amount of sunlight we get over here that and the GPU are not enough to make me think the Galaxy S is better.--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

You need to go to settings , sd card and storage and mount sd card, then you will have 8GB internal memory. ...... Excellent phone I love mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

The Super AMOLED IS better than regular AMOLED but the primary advantage is it's visibility under direct sunlight. With the amount of sunlight we get over here that and the GPU are not enough to make me think the Galaxy S is better.--

Well for less money you might as well get the Galaxy S then with the better screen .... just in case it sunny :)

Seriously PAMG you're as bad as any iPhone fanboy I've met.

Well for less money you might as well get the Galaxy S then with the better screen .... just in case it sunny :)
    Sorry but sunlight readability ranks quite a bit lower on my list than features like Flash or developer support.
    Seriously PAMG you're as bad as any iPhone fanboy I've met.
    iPhone Fanboys don't give factual reasons. I do ;)

Getting a powerful phone that lacks so many necessities like Flash and proper developer support just doesn't appeal to me. If you don't use your camera much and don't plan on doing much if any modding on your phone than the Galaxy S would be the better choice. As for me, I mod my phone to bits and HTC phones are far better documented than Samsung when it comes to Android.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Over 20 firmwares available for the Galaxy S so far, including the most recent Froyo ROMs...... I wouldn't exactly call that lacking in proper developer support.

As somebody who owns both phones in question, I love the 2 of them and each has advantages and disadvantages, but ultimately I think if I had to decide, I would keep the Desire.

As for modding my phones, I have flashed the Galaxy about 7 times at this stage and the most recent I9000XXJP3 (Froyo) file is one of the best out there. Totally did away with menu and screen lags, market lags etc etc.

The HTC Desire on the other hand, even though there are more home cooked ROM's available, has not been touched since I got it. That in itself I think is testament to the fact, that as far as an "out of the box" experience goes, the Desire is ultimately a better phone.

Sorry but sunlight readability ranks quite a bit lower on my list than features like Flash or developer support.

iPhone Fanboys don't give factual reasons. I do ;)

Getting a powerful phone that lacks so many necessities like Flash and proper developer support just doesn't appeal to me. If you don't use your camera much and don't plan on doing much if any modding on your phone than the Galaxy S would be the better choice. As for me, I mod my phone to bits and HTC phones are far better documented than Samsung when it comes to Android.

Have you seen the video comparing Quake 2 being played on a Galaxy vs a Desire? The Galaxy plays it fine while the Desire is unplayable.

http://gizmodo.com/5580123/quake-2-test-htc-desire-vs-samsung-galaxy-s

Have you seen the video comparing the view-ability of the screens of the Desire and Galaxy in direct sunlight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58gZzqvqhRk

If you were outside on a sunny day trying to play quake 2 on a Desire, and someone rocked up and started palying it on his Galaxy, your willie would shrivel. :D

Flash? 2.2 running Flash 10.1 on a Galaxy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY2AsoVRywk

Want any more 'facts'?

They are both good phones. Telling someone who opts for a Galaxy that they have made a bad decision and bought an inferior device is plain stupid, which is the only reason I can be bothered with this.

I don't own either a Galaxy or a Desire, or even a Android phone, so I have no personal stake in this.

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Over 20 firmwares available for the Galaxy S so far, including the most recent Froyo ROMs...... I wouldn't exactly call that lacking in proper developer support.
    That's not what I meant. There are plenty of active low level kernel development projects on the Desire like the USB Host mod as a prominent example. There's even a guide that shows the correct way to compile a Desire kernel directly from source. That's good documentation and good support. The Galaxy S may catch up but as of yet that's unseen.
    Have you seen the video comparing Quake 2 being played on a Galaxy vs a Desire? The Galaxy plays it fine while the Desire is unplayable.

http://gizmodo.com/5580123/quake-2-t...msung-galaxy-s
    Oh. My. God.
    Seriously, is that stupid benchmark still being quoted? How many times do I have to tell people why it's a flawed benchmark? Nevertheless I'll repeat myself. The developer of Quake2Android developed the game on a Moto Droid and had that phone in mind throughout port development. One problem with developing games on the Moto Droid is that it often breaks compatibility with Adreno GPU based phones like the Nexus One/Desire. Up until very recently Quake2Android did not even reach ingame. In fact it showed garbled graphics rather than a menu.

Strange how they used Quake 2 as a benchmark between both phones and then for some "unexplained" reason they show Quake 3 on the Galaxy S by itself :rolleyes:
    Have you seen the video comparing the view-ability of the screens of the Desire and Galaxy in direct sunlight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58gZzqvqhRk

If you were outside on a sunny day trying to play quake 2 on a Desire, and someone rocked up and started palying it on his Galaxy, your willie would shrivel. biggrin.gif
    Sorry, I don't base phone purchases on sunlight readability. Probably because we don't get enough to make it a problem.
    Flash? 2.2 running Flash 10.1 on a Galaxy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY2AsoVRywk
    I never said that the Galaxy S lacked flash support. I said it lacked a CAMERA flash. What circa €500 supposedly premium phone comes without a flash of any sort?
    Want any more 'facts'?
    FYP :D
    They are both good phones. Telling someone who opts for a Galaxy that they have made a bad decision and bought an inferior device is plain stupid, which is the only reason I can be bothered with this.
    No, it's simply good sense. The Galaxy S wins on GPU and on internal storage, not much else. The cons outweigh the pros.

No, it's simply good sense. The Galaxy S wins on GPU and on internal storage, not much else. The cons outweigh the pros.

Thinner, Lighter, Vastly better screen, Higher capacity battery, , Wifi-n, DNLA, Bluetooth 3.

The cons only outweigh the pros if you are a raving fanatic. How many years did you study in the Apple school of iPhone fanboism, before you switched to the Desire? Were you an instructor perhaps?

The things you are mostly harping on about as being Desire superiorities are things that are not intrinsic to the handset itself.

You obviously have your priorities but they are not shared by everyone. The like minded community of fanatics that you get with the Desire may not be everyone's cuppa.

Some people might prefer a screen that is superior under all conditions. For people with such a criteria, the Galaxy would be a better choice.

Just because you never leave Ireland for sunnier climes, doesn't mean others don't. When you are in bright sun on the ski slopes trying to film your mates snowboarding in 720p, and then showing off the resulting videos that evening in the bar, the Galaxy is the superior choice. If you want to sit in the gloom, compiling kernels, while it drizzles ceaselessly outside, well the Desire is obviously a better choice.

I know which one I would rather be doing. :D

LED flashes are better than nothing, but only just, The Galaxy would be better off with one, than without, but the utility is marginal in my experience, as at the light levels where you need a flash, phone camera modules deliver poor and grainy images as they have to switch to a very noise prone high ISO.

I'll say it again, they are both very good phones.

Look what i've gone and started :-)

I've had a couple of days now to mess about with it and so far i'm delighted with it

Bleh, i'm gonna wait for a proper update. Although not being in contract with Meteor does make it *that* bit more tempting :D

Bleh, i'm gonna wait for a proper update. Although not being in contract with Meteor does make it *that* bit more tempting :D

hmm tempted for it too...though the thoughts of having to sell my hd2 dont bring joy ;( i like having win mo and android ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Guys guys guys, quit your bickering, the winner shall be declared after answering this question:
    Which plays Super Mario World better on emulator?!?! :pac:

(Seriously I'd like to know anyway)

• Advertisement

btw did a bench test with my hd2 android ;) and ill upload the screen shot once i get the build rooted...but anyway galaxy was right behind the hd2...even with half working drivers on hd2 it still beats the galaxy with the all-mighty humming bird? ;)

Advertisement