Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Indespension trailer

• 30-07-2010 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi lads, I have a three year old Indespension trailer with a ply board deck, and the deck is rotting and pretty much shagged. Is it possible to get a steel deck put in? Not impressed by the ply, trailer has had very little use and has been coved for the last year.

Im in the Cork area so if some one knows where I can get this done please let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if your in any way handy with a welder or go buy a rivet gun you could do it yourself, go to heatons and get a sheet of checker plate and some box section thats as thick as the planks are currently, lay a few lengths of the box section down into the grooves the planks went into , then rivet or weld the checkerplate to the lengths

all in all (including buying a riviter) should take you a day and set you back 150 euro or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Don't use pop-rivets to fix down a steel deck, they will rattle/vibrate loose, use self tapping bolts as well as a good adhesive like tiger seal etc. also remember that steel isnt as good a surface for a trailer bed as the load will slide on steel and it will dent and buckle, look at truck trailers, they generally use timber floors because its more durable and is better for locating a load on.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭buckshotbrolan

Don't use pop-rivets to fix down a steel deck, they will rattle/vibrate loose, use self tapping bolts as well as a good adhesive like tiger seal etc. also remember that steel isnt as good a surface for a trailer bed as the load will slide on steel and it will dent and buckle, look at truck trailers, they generally use timber floors because its more durable and is better for locating a load on.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of maybe putting down a timber floor and then a sheet of checker plate on top( not worried about stuff sliding because there is plenty of internal lashing points.) the idea with the timber underneath is to absorb pressure that will buckle the checker plate. If I seal around the edge where the deck meets the trailer frame would that make it water tight?
    Or am I talking outa my arse! Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

OP replace the original flooring with generic boil proof plywood, cheap as chips and will last years.

Advertisement