Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling the Royal Canal Saturday 31st July

• 30-07-2010 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have being thinking about doing a worthwhile cycle for a while. Haven bitten the bullet, and researched a few of the posts here on Canal paths, I'm heading from Dublin to Tullamore along the Royal & Grand canals tomorrow - 85 km in total. Heading for Enfield then switching to the Grand at Edenderry.

I am reasonably fit, will be using a Giant Talon MTB, which I've taken on laps of the Phoenix Park 3 times a week (20k each spin) as well as spins out to Enfield and back. Have allowed a typical average speed of 15 - 17km/hr with a break in Edenderry. Does this sound doable? I reckon 5 - 6 hours in total. Not sure what state the paths will be in after the recent rain.... anyone think this is too ambitious?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Ok, I have being thinking about doing a worthwhile cycle for a while. Haven bitten the bullet, and researched a few of the posts here on Canal paths, I'm heading from Dublin to Tullamore along the Royal & Grand canals tomorrow - 85 km in total. Heading for Enfield then switching to the Grand at Edenderry.

I am reasonably fit, will be using a Giant Talon MTB, which I've taken on laps of the Phoenix Park 3 times a week (20k each spin) as well as spins out to Enfield and back. Have allowed a typical average speed of 15 - 17km/hr with a break in Edenderry. Does this sound doable? I reckon 5 - 6 hours in total. Not sure what state the paths will be in after the recent rain.... anyone think this is too ambitious?
    Sounds good Surveyor, I've only cycled the Royal canal to Kilcock, if the paths are bad in places you can always use the road that runs alongside, I've cycled by road from Celbridge to Tullamore via Edenderry but can't really compare times because of the obvious different terrain but 5 to 6 hours sounds fine and Edenderry is a nice place for a break, how are you travelling back, are you staying overnight and cycling back next day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭bubble_wrap

Surveyor11 wrote: »

85km - some over xc is hard going on a mtb man fair dues, padded shorts a must, lovely cycle though! done it to Kilcock too, felt a bit long on the way but the way back flew in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Thanks for the replies - Mrs Surveyor is heading in car, staying in Tullamore to go to Castlepalooza, so will be popping the bike in the car on the way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

I've cycled Grand Canal from Naas and Royal Canal from Kilcock. Both routes can be wet in places and badly drained. 5 weeks ago the towpaths were rock solid but I would imagine that's no longer the case.

In my experience, my average speed cycling off-road on the tow-paths would be less than two thirds of my average speed on Irish country roads for the same perceived amount of effort so 15-17km/hr should be doable. Enjoy the countryside and best of luck with your trip - if you get to to see this post before you head off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

Meeting on a Sunday morning 10:45am on the 1st of aug at the Luas stop 02 Venue Dublin 1,
    cycling up the canal path to Kilcock, stopping for an energy boost at the 12th lock in Castelknock.
    Then onto the lovely waterside pub in Kilcock, for lunch and a drink, and then returning to Dublin
    Its a cycle going back in time to the 1790s, and as soon as you leave Dublin ie Castleknock
    your straight into the countryside....
    Expect loose gravel, rolling rocks, tree roots, very narrow single track, 40ft deep cuttings, tarmac, hard muck, soft muck, short grass, and dusty trails enroute.
    A good deep tyre tread is advised for this cycle to fend off punctures. PLEASE Bring a spare tube!!!!!
    If you love wildlife, boats, nature, locks, fresh air, the sound of water and peaceful times, then this is a cycle to go for.
    This is a mostly a level cycle as its a canal towpath. but it does climb 247.2feet from Dublin Canal Dock to Kilcock, but this is very very gradual, the biggest climb is from Dublin centre to Cabra,
    These climbs are at the lock gates, so no hills will be enroute.
    The route from Dublin to Kilcock is not a short route by any means but it is very winding & beautiful.

If you enjoyed the Grand canal cycle please please come along to this one !!!!
    It won't disappoint. It is a 25mile/40.2km cycle eachway, but it really really feels less.
    I have done this Royal Canal end to end for charity last July in 8hrs.42mins averaging 10.5mph
    This is not a race, but we will be averaging at least 7-10mph same as The Grand Canal Cycle. So it is relaxing
    Any questions, please ask me by email from this site,,,, and visit my link if you need to see the map intended........ click below
    http://www.iwai.ie/ma...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Cycle went well, weather was a bit of a mixed bag and not helped by a head wind all the way! the rain was also intense in places, but managed to shelter under a few bridges while it eased off.

The cycle itself was nice, the canal paths are totally navigable by mountain bike, i'd say you'd struggle on any thing else following the recent heavy rain. The path from Kilcock to Enfield was probably the worst part, boggy and slow progress made here, I'd say down to 12- 13 km/h in places for 12 km or so. Was sort of glad for the break on the R402 road from Enfield to Edenderry after that. The Grand canal path is more or less grass with some strecthes of rubble road from Edenderry to Daingean, then it's a mix of a paved / rubble road all the way to Tullamore. All in all, an enjoyable day, a bit sore at the end and managed to avoid a puncture. Legs were ok the following day, so pelehty of energy left for boogeying at Castlepalooza.:D

Overall, the cycle computer showed 91km done in a time of about 5.75 hours, at an average speed of 17.8km/h. So happy with that!

Advertisement