Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance company won't pay

Options
  • 30-07-2010 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Spotted water leak in dowstairs toilet. Phoned Insurance Company. Assessor came. Said I would not be covered as it was an ongoing problem. My house is a brick house and the mortar has become very damp and water has seeped through but it did not show externally. I asked how was I to know it was an ongoing problem if it had only surfaced externally. The only answer I kept getting is that it is an ongoing problem and that it it not covered. Can anyone help please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Contact a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

The insurance company are correct by the sound of things. What is the source of the leak? Insurance would cover if it were something like a burst pipe due to cold weather, but this sounds more like a maintenance issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Read your policy booklet from them. This is where you will find your spot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

My parents had a leak under the floor in the downstairs bathroom. We dont know how long it was there but there had been a strange sound in the bathroom for about 9months, which we now know was probably the leak. The insurance company did pay up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

deise4ever wrote: »
    Spotted water leak in dowstairs toilet. Phoned Insurance Company. Assessor came. Said I would not be covered as it was an ongoing problem. My house is a brick house and the mortar has become very damp and water has seeped through but it did not show externally. I asked how was I to know it was an ongoing problem if it had only surfaced externally. The only answer I kept getting is that it is an ongoing problem and that it it not covered. Can anyone help please.

It's a maintenance issue and won't be covered - sorry:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

My parents had a leak under the floor in the downstairs bathroom. We dont know how long it was there but there had been a strange sound in the bathroom for about 9months, which we now know was probably the leak. The insurance company did pay up for it.

I've a similar problem, out of curiosity, what do they pay up for, ie. water damage to property, repairs (plumber costs) etc. ?? Do they pay up in full (minus excess of course) ? My problem is that our kitchen units might have to be ripped out and tiles ripped up !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

They paid for the plumber, who had to dig up the floor. The insurance assessor also said they would pay for new lino but the old stuff went down again ok.

My parents in law had a leak from the kitchen sink which destroyed the kitchen cabinet. The insurance paid for part of a new kitchen for them.

Advertisement