Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chain on new focus

• 30-07-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi all,

just got home from work to find my beautiful new focus sitting in the kitchen :) ... so now its all ready apart from one crucial thing .. the chain. It has come in half so can anyone tell me simply how to connect the two ends???

Thanks again!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Why it has come in half might be an indicator of a problem. You need a chain tool and connecting pins (if it is a Shimano chain, easy to do but essential that you install the connecting pins the right way) or alternatively a joining link (you can get these for Shimano also.) Generally with a joining link you will still need a chain tool as the links will only join inside-inside so you may need to remove a link if it has broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

There should be a connecting pin or link.

Follow this

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=25

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Thanks for the replies lads, is it usual for internet order to come with the chain unlinked? From what I have here there is no extra link or pins which is quite frustrating ... I just want to ride the thing now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I would have thought the chain should have come assembled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Maybe someone forgot that bit.

If they just threaded a new chain on then it will likely be too long - you'll need to take links out. This is easy with a chain tool.

• Advertisement

So now I've to swallow my pride and bring the internet bike down the LBS because I have no clue about chain length etc ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

So now I've to swallow my pride and bring the internet bike down the LBS because I have no clue about chain length etc ...

No it's easy, there's a calculator for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Also have a look here, there are other methods not requiring measurement, calculation and link counting. I have used the big ring/big sprocket method successfully, IIRC this is the one Shimano suggest (although they also have something about derailleur angle I think.)

Thanks for that Blorg, had a look at the chain and the length seems perfect according to both yourself and Lumen's suggested sites, so just need to get a chain tool and pins off a friend. Thanks again to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my one has a kmc link on it

• Advertisement

How embarrassing, found a KMC chainlink for a 105 chain in the discarded box ... must have come off in transit :o ah well at least I get to go out for a spin now ... thanks EdwinIreland :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

great to hear, that thought crossed my mind. When i got mine it was perfect just adjusted the saddle. Anyway want to see photos now

Just back from my first quick spin, really enjoyed it really nice ride compared to my old converted singlespeed (got into sport the hipster way :))

Hope to get out for a few long spins now over the weekend

photos to follow ...

Advertisement