Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venison

Options
  • 30-07-2010 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

What de heck do I do with venison? Have been give some but no idea how to handle it? One is bag of mince another bag possibly 4/5 venison steaks, they frozen so not sure. - all i can hear is "Dont look back Bambi, don't look back'!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Use the mince as you would beef mince (maybe Bambi Burgers!)

Cook the steaks as you would fillet steak but beware, venison cooks quicker than beef and gets very dry if not cooked rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

You could make a venison stroganoff with rice and crusty bread! Thats what im having later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Have a look on the cooking club, there is a venison recipe there

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jojo34

venison chilli (use your fav chilli recipe and swap the beef with venison). Its delicious.
    Whenever i struggle to find what to do with venison i just look at beef recipes and replace them with venison. Most of the time it works

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

deer meat is usually pretty lean you might want to lay on a bit of bacon to the steaks and cook slowly the mince will be moister and less "wild" tasting if you grind in a little bacon too. Deer meat is also good in vegetable soups and stews.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Make burgers or meatballs with the mince.

As for the steaks, depending on the cut, just treat them like a beef steak.

You'd want shoulder/leg for stews and stuff, steak type cuts wouldn't be great for long, low cooking.

Hot pan, salt, pepper and some crushed juniper berries to season, cook it med-rare and then make a pan sauce and throw it on some mashed spuds/roast veggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

venison cooks quicker than beef and gets very dry if not cooked rare.
    i'd be careful with cooking steak rare if it was frozen before... not the best practice from food safety point of view... just saying;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

tsuzmir wrote: »
    i'd be careful with cooking steak rare if it was frozen before... not the best practice from food safety point of view... just saying;)

It really depends on storage etc. But getting food safety advice from randomers on the internet is never a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No food safety advice to be sought or given on these forums.

Thanks,

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

No food safety advice to be sought or given on these forums.

Thanks,

tHB
    my bad... let me rephrase: I it was me, i'd cook it well, since it's frozen, but then the steak will go dry as mentioned before.
    btw really like strogonoff idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Try venison in red wine and chocolate sauce. Google the Gordon Ramsay recipe - I'm sure it's an F-Word recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

jojo34 wrote: »
    venison chilli (use your fav chilli recipe and swap the beef with venison). Its delicious.
    Whenever i struggle to find what to do with venison i just look at beef recipes and replace them with venison. Most of the time it works
    I spent a week in Northern Sweden on a dogsledding trip and there they treat moose venison just like beef too. I had moose kebabs, moose chilli, moose tacos ... you name it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This thread was started 2 years ago. I'd say they've used up the venison by now ;).

jojo34, please do not bump old threads in future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement