Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Bay Half Marathon 2010

• 30-07-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭

Forgive me if there is a thread already opened for this. Anybody doing this? I usually do the Dublin City Half but it doesn't really suit this year. Does anybody know if it is on closed roads this year?

Early bird entry fee of 40 euro ends tomorrow.

http://www.galwaybayhalfmarathon.com/index.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Did this the last 2 years and the course is ok but on open roads,running on the prom on Salthill while great was a little bit stressful trying to avoid the regulars on their deserved morning walk . there is a thread on here somewhere about it and it didnt rate too highly if I remember . Seemed badly organised despite been a big event , smacked a little of greed.
    Just a personal opinion thou .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Don't support this race. Its a money grabbing badly organised race. There are far better races to support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Thanks lads. Read last years thread and it doesnt make for good reading at all. Do ye know if there is another half marathon around this time. I want to get one in before the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'm out injured so missing Longford in Aug and away in Sept so missing Dublin and was advised of the half in Waterford on Dec 10 i think.

I looked at the thread for last year and it got great reviews. Well organised and only 20 squid. I think Sosa would be the one ask about it !

Cool that sounds god but I'd worry that the conditions could be tricky at that time of year, ice, snow, you'd never know! I really want to run sub 90min so I must choose wisely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

St finbars in Cork run a half in the middle of September also there is a one in clare around the cliffs of moher at the end of September (tough course), it is the first running and but been ran by an event company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

€45 for a 10k ?
    €50 for a half marathon and an "option" to fundraise which suggests they are pocketing the fees for themselves (Organisers and Elverys)?

"How do I enter?
    The online entry fee is €50 for the half marathon and €45 for the Galway Bay 10km. There is an option to fundraise for one of six affiliated charities in the half marathon and the Galway Bay 10km event is a charity event in aid of Cancer Care West."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Thanks lads. Read last years thread and it doesnt make for good reading at all. Do ye know if there is another half marathon around this time. I want to get one in before the end of the year.

There is the Galway City Half on Aug 29th. The roads are closed and the organisers are former Olympian Paul Donovan & his brother Richard, who is the organiser for the North Pole Marathon so knows a thing or 2 about putting together a race. Check out www.galwaycitymarathon.com

Speedy44 wrote: »
    There is the Galway City Half on Aug 29th. The roads are closed and the organisers are former Olympian Paul Donovan & his brother Richard, who is the organiser for the North Pole Marathon so knows a thing or 2 about putting together a race. Check out www.galwaycitymarathon.com

Damn, that would be perfect! Alas the date does not suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MarathonRunner

I feel I need to stand up for the Galway Bay Half Marathon here! I ran it last year and I thought it was a great success. The organizers have taken last years feedback on board and have lowered the price.

I got an Ezine from them some time ago stating that for my early bird entry fee of 40 Euro I would receive the following:

Entry to the 10K/Half Marathon
    · Race pack which includes:
    an Elverys Sports gym sack and water bottle,
    €10 Asics runner voucher, Maximuscle bar,
    Powerade sports drink and Under Armour Technical T-shirt
    · Finishers Medal
    · Après food and beverages

I think thats value for money!

Visit www.galwaybayhalfmarathon.com for more info. Or if you are thinking about doing the 10K visit www.galwaybay10.com.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

This race is disgusting. €45 to run the 10k, none of which goes to the charity which they say the race is being held in aid of. They are using a cancer charity as a hook for their for-profit race. Runners have to pay the €45 entry, which goes to the race organizers, and they then get an additional sponsorship card to raise money for the charity. How on earth does that make this a race in aid of a charity?

This is the lowest approach to cashing in on the running boom I've seen yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Yep but people will still pay it and run. Until people stop showing up and running events like this then it will happen again and again.. fools and their money spring to mind.

I think what people forget is that it costs money to hold such an event for 2000 people. There are significant overheads which need to be paid. The entry fee covers these overheads.

For example last year there was a marquee there after the event for the Apres food and drinks which I'm sure wasn't cheap to erect. No to mention 2000 under Armour technical t-shirts!

The Organizers take all the risk creating an event where 6 nominated Charities can raise money from the participants.

I would encourage people to see what its like to hold their own event before giving out about other events on boards.ie!

I think what people forget is that it costs money to hold such an event for 2000 people. There are significant overheads which need to be paid. The entry fee covers these overheads.

For example last year there was a marquee there after the event for the Apres food and drinks which I'm sure wasn't cheap to erect. No to mention 2000 under Armour technical t-shirts!

The Organizers take all the risk creating an event where 6 nominated Charities can raise money from the participants.

I would encourage people to see what its like to hold their own event before giving out about other events on boards.ie!

<mod>Posters here are well aware of the costs in organizing/hosting a good event- its something that gets discussed on a regular basis. We're also well used to people shilling events- is there some reason you are choosing to ignore my PM to you asking if you have any connection to, or acquaintance of, the organizers of this race?/<mod>

Can anyone tell me this-is it on closed roads this year? The date really suits me and I am mad to do a half and as I am from galway I would like to do it despite all the negative feedback. 13.1 miles is 13.1 miles in my book and that's all I'm interested in not however if it isn't on a closed circuit.

Hi Donothoponpop,

Forgive me for the delay, I only saw your PM now, I'm new to this!

I can assure you that I have no connection to, or acquaintance of, the organizers of this race! That would be against the ethos of this site I'm sure!

All I know is that I will be taking part in the Galway Bay Half Marathon on the 2nd October and it looks like I wont be seeing you there.

All the best in your future runs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sparky101

Can anyone tell me this-is it on closed roads this year? The date really suits me and I am mad to do a half and as I am from galway I would like to do it despite all the negative feedback. 13.1 miles is 13.1 miles in my book and that's all I'm interested in not however if it isn't on a closed circuit.
    I have emailed them to ask, but have not heard anything back yet. This is a deal breaker for me. I would love to run the race, but as I am living in Dublin now, I don't fancy travelling all that way to do battle with buggies and people out for a stroll.

Sparky101 wrote: »
    I have emailed them to ask, but have not heard anything back yet. This is a deal breaker for me. I would love to run the race, but as I am living in Dublin now, I don't fancy travelling all that way to do battle with buggies and people out for a stroll.

Thanks dude. I also mailed them and no reply. That was it for me, as far as I am concerned if they are not bothered to reply they can shove it. So I have decided Waterford half instead, gives me more time to prepare anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Marathon Runner seems to be involved (certainly in the advertising and marketing of it) so he might know that, there was the same rumour last year that the roads would be closed but it didn't happen. They had bollards up and down the prom that you needed to run through and they had marshals on all the roundabouts.

It was a bit messy as many of the marshals werent much more than kids and a lot of frustrated motorists ignored them and just drove straight through.

I dont know if they changed race organisers this year or not but the more experienced runners had a bitter taste in their mouth being quoted 60 euro to run a 10k. I emailed the charity as I would have entered if I was assured some of this 60 euro was going to charity, however she told me this was the event organizers charge, a sponsor line sheet would be sent to each participant and anything the runner could get there would go to the charity.

I sent a fairly angry email back telling her that that the race organiser was screwing her charity by charging such a large amount for a 10k race but i never got a word back.

The charges are now gone down to 45 euro for the 10k this year maybe with all the bad press they got last year and again i can only assume this is the race organizers charge.

I have to agree with donothoponpop, this race is the lowest form of money making I have come across yet in this sport. The hook is the charity, and I would imagine that many of the costs of running a commercial race are overcome by this charity angle. Marshals may well be Volunteering for free for the charity, it makes it easier to attract sponsorship with the charity angle also.

Below is Marathon runners goody pack which he reckons makes the entry fees stack up to 45 euro

· Race pack which includes:
    an Elverys Sports gym sack and water bottle,
    €10 Asics runner voucher, Maximuscle bar,
    Powerade sports drink and Under Armour Technical T-shirt
    · Finishers Medal
    · Après food and beverages

How much of this is coming out of the race organizers pockets, are Elverys charging them for the gym sack and water bottle doubtful. All of the above except food and medals (maybe) are coming either free or heavily subsidized.

The worst thing is I will probably race it this year, the half marathon though only, in fairness that 50 euro price is more or less the same as other commercial races across the country, but the 45 for the 10k is just skullduggery

It just seems very bad value when you compare it to the Adidas race series in the Phoenix Park where a half marathon costs just €20, incl goody bag and technical t-shirt. The only thing the Galway Bay has in it's favour is the the bayside location and the fact that it's a pretty flat course and so has good PB potential. Although if you have to weave in and out of motorists and people out for a stroll, then perhaps not!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Adidas series gets 5/6000 entries , its based in Dublin, more people , lower prices i guess - there just isnt the numbers around or interested to justify it or breakeven for event organisers on a 20 euro charge for a half marathon in Galway..

Have heard its a two lap course - if its ran on road then it could be closed ( was for the Anglo celtic plate two years back ) , if on the prom I cant see it closed! Could be fast enough, wind dependent.

As an aside hard to see all these races lasting the pace - so many halfs and marathons, how do people race them all,??!!! am doin two halfs flat out in next two weeks and will be fceked after for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

There is a note in the FAQ for the race saying that they're working with the gardai to make sure the roads are closed. This doesnt mean they are for definite.
    Also it is 40 euro to enter up until the 31st of August.
    I am thinking of doing this as it is flat and doesnt sound too bad to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

noticed on the faq:
    Can I transfer between events?
    You can transfer up to 15th September 2010. After this date it is too late. Please note the 10km event is a charity event in aid of Cancer Care West and the half marathon
    This would seem to indicate that all or at least a significant portion of the profit from at least the 10k goes to cc west. Not sure if it's true but I wouldn't be as hard on the high entry fee if this was the case. I.e. entry is a decision to support a charity in which case logic about price goes out the window.

The sentence isn't finished on the website but if I were to enter at that fee the portion of the fee going to charity would be a factor in my deciding to enter.

Agree with Brutes that this is the year of overkill in terms of races. I can only see the very good ones and the club ones surviving in 3 years time.

mrak wrote: »
    This would seem to indicate that all or at least a significant portion of the profit from at least the 10k goes to cc west. Not sure if it's true but I wouldn't be as hard on the high entry fee if this was the case. I.e. entry is a decision to support a charity in which case logic about price goes out the window.

The sentence isn't finished on the website but if I were to enter at that fee the portion of the fee going to charity would be a factor in my deciding to enter.

Agree with Brutes that this is the year of overkill in terms of races. I can only see the very good ones and the club ones surviving in 3 years time.

From their website:
    "The Galway Bay 10 is Cancer Care West’s largest fundraising event of the year, and this year we are aiming to raise €100,000 for cancer patients and their families in the West of Ireland. Each participant in the Galway Bay 10 pays the registration fee of €45 when entering for the event. Cancer Care West will send a sponsorship pack, including sponsorship cards to each Galway Bay 10 entrant and we ask our participants to raise funds through sponsorship for the charity. There is no minimum sponsorship amount – just do your best for us! All funds raised in excess of the €45 registration fee are donated to Cancer Care West, which is a registered charity."

You are buying into a private race, and being asked to raise money seperately for charity. Any profit from the 10k goes directly to the organizers. Makes my blood boil that this race is described as a charity race.:mad:

From their website:
    "The Galway Bay 10 is Cancer Care West’s largest fundraising event of the year, and this year we are aiming to raise €100,000 for cancer patients and their families in the West of Ireland. Each participant in the Galway Bay 10 pays the registration fee of €45 when entering for the event. Cancer Care West will send a sponsorship pack, including sponsorship cards to each Galway Bay 10 entrant and we ask our participants to raise funds through sponsorship for the charity. There is no minimum sponsorship amount – just do your best for us! All funds raised in excess of the €45 registration fee are donated to Cancer Care West, which is a registered charity."

You are buying into a private race, and being asked to raise money seperately for charity. Any profit from the 10k goes directly to the organizers. Makes my blood boil that this race is described as a charity race.:mad:

Well to be honest I think friends of mine will be in Galway that weekend so I'll be making a weekend of it. Plus I don't think I'm fit enough for the hills in the closing stages of the Dublin half and this is flat plus I'll have another two weeks to train so might hopefully get an okay time for a first time half marathon runner ;)

I just want to make clear I have no real issue with the half marathon fee, Achill, Connemara and Dingle halves are all more expensive than this race.

But I just feel the 45 euro charge for the 10k is profiteering on the back of a charity.

I remember my sister asking me to donate 20 euro for doing the 10k last year. She would be new to running, I remonstrated with her about doing a race that the event organizers are charging 60 euros for a 10k was shameful and all I got was blank looks from the rest of the family and a "pay up you tight b**tard", you should be proud of your sister" comment from the mother.

I gave in and handed the cash over :o

catweazle wrote: »
    I just want to make clear I have no real issue with the half marathon fee, Achill, Connemara and Dingle halves are all more expensive than this race.

But I just feel the 45 euro charge for the 10k is profiteering on the back of a charity.

I remember my sister asking me to donate 20 euro for doing the 10k last year. She would be new to running, I remonstrated with her about doing a race that the event organizers are charging 60 euros for a 10k was shameful and all I got was blank looks from the rest of the family and a "pay up you tight b**tard", you should be proud of your sister" comment from the mother.

I gave in and handed the cash over :o

Yeah thats steep for the 10km but the half marathon cost seems about average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Half marathon fee is similar to most now. 10K is crazy though and as has been said hiding behind an 'Its for charity' tag when it is a disgrace.

I wouldn't support either race on that point alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

I have no idea whether to sign up for this event or not!!
    Time is running out for the €40 entry fee!!

I completed my first half in Galway on Sunday (which hasnt gotten very good reviews on here for organisation etc, I had nothing to compare it to but I now feel like I had a poor first half experience).

Now that the stiffness is going a bit I would really like to have a new focus for my training and was considering the Galway Bay Half. However, because of the bad organisation at the weekend with traffic not being stopped, not road closures at the Prom and little or no marchals or support along that part of the race, (i felt I was running in no mans land for about 3 miles) its not something I would like to experience again. Does anyone know for sure whether the roads are to be closed for this?

Also I was quite disappointed with my own performance on the day and would like to improve my time a little. Is four weeks enough time to improve my time? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for events round end of Oct/Nov? Soemthing in midlands, west or possibly East. Waterford is on in Dec I know but its too far away for me really.

I am tempted to maybe just do the 10k either but the price is outrageous.

• Advertisement

yungwan wrote: »

I completed my first half in Galway on Sunday (which hasnt gotten very good reviews on here for organisation etc, I had nothing to compare it to but I now feel like I had a poor first half experience).

Now that the stiffness is going a bit I would really like to have a new focus for my training and was considering the Galway Bay Half. However, because of the bad organisation at the weekend with traffic not being stopped, not road closures at the Prom and little or no marchals or support along that part of the race, (i felt I was running in no mans land for about 3 miles) its not something I would like to experience again. Does anyone know for sure whether the roads are to be closed for this?

Also I was quite disappointed with my own performance on the day and would like to improve my time a little. Is four weeks enough time to improve my time? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for events round end of Oct/Nov? Soemthing in midlands, west or possibly East. Waterford is on in Dec I know but its too far away for me really.

Not sure re road closures or even prom closure, very hard to see it happen in full tbh, roads were closed for the 100k last year tho..so may b possible

This course could be seriously quick but weather will be a big factor, wind particularly, is likely to be a factor on the way out on both laps ( 2 lap course) ..for example the old Galway Bay 10 one year -2008 i think?? took me 7 min miles for first 3 versus 6 min miles the year before due to a gale force wind, and its hard to get that back,

Worth a crack if you dont mind a two lap course, and it got a pretty big field last yr, totally different route tho

yungwan wrote: »

Hi yungwan, I was following your progress on the half marathon support thread - congrats on doing your first half! I was also considering doing this race, also my first half marathon (and by coincidence was in Galway over the weekend - saw part of the course, have to say, the organisation did look a bit all over the place) and emailed the organisers to ask if the roads would be closed, but have not heard back from them, two weeks later. I went so far as to ring the number on the web page but it is a wrong number. So I have decided not to run the race and to do the Dublin half marathon instead on Sept. Don't know if I am ready yet, but I will give it a bash :o
    Have you had a look at the Run Ireland website events list - http://www.runireland.com/events
    You might find something that suits you on there, or if not, maybe we will see you at the starting line in Dublin??
    All the best

Very good 10K in Loughrea on the 26th of Sept. Its normally a 5 miler but changd it this year. Its been going on for donkeys years and is always very well organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Very good 10K in Loughrea on the 26th of Sept. Its normally a 5 miler but changd it this year. Its been going on for donkeys years and is always very well organised.

Thanks Speedy, its definately a possibility. Not too far away either.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Was going to enter this to try and get my 2nd 1/2 marathon of the year and break my 2hr PB :)

But after reading all the bad press and obvious rip off from Elverys then I think not!!

Any other 1/2 marathons near to the West I could look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

No closed roads last 2 years, congested prom dodging dogs and locals out for their well deserved morning walk and traffic chaos in areas .
    Completed about 8 halves in last 2 years and the most stressfull have been this one last year and this one the previous year.
    Not a bad course thou.
    Entry fee in line with other events but the charity link up puts this at €70+ if you were to give just €20 . Not worth it , would rather just donate the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Runonewon

yop wrote: »
    Was going to enter this to try and get my 2nd 1/2 marathon of the year and break my 2hr PB :)

But after reading all the bad press and obvious rip off from Elverys then I think not!!

Any other 1/2 marathons near to the West I could look at?

Hi yop Totally agree with the reviews of Galway Bay Half iwas there as i spectator last year and it was a bit of a mess.I think there i a half in Doolin (Cliffs Of Moher Half Marathon)the week after next,it may not be a PB course.There is a half in Kinnity Co.Ofally on the week of the 28th of November,might be worth a look.Waterford half is usually in mid December.
    Hope you find a Half and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭marchino

it seems john treacy is starting it. i won a voucher to a galway hotel, from the achill half and i entered this to kind of use it up but the lovely reports dont read well. im training like a demon for this, is there anything positive to say..someone said its a nice course?

I did it last year, it wasn't too bad I suppose. The first problem I had was that the roads aren't closed so impatient cars pay no heed to marshals who are mainly young lads that are getting 50 euros for the day. From the sounds of "training like a demon" and winning a voucher from the Achill race you might be up front which helps as regards motorists patience as you will be among the first to go through. They have also changed it to a two lap race taking out all the hills from the first one and hopefullly reducing the traffic problems also

It was not as well organized as Connemara or Achill either, maybe they have learned a few lessons from last year as well though. I wouldn't write it off at all, from the sounds of Limerick and Galway City earlier in the year this might well work out better. The route is top class and has lovely scenery (usually with loads of eye candy as well) and it is one to pb on alright, more or less flat on good surface all the way round

My main gripe is their rip off 10k charges but the 50 for the half is in and around the same as most commercial races I am going to run it again this year myself

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭marchino

Thanks Catweazle. yeah id be mainly worried about the 'young' stewards looking for an easy pay day. no problem with that but, the likely hood is most of them wont know the course or give a toss! i believe someone sent the chasing group the wrong way in the limerick full marathon this year. couple of school girls to busy texting to know what way to send the runners. apart from that the scenery id say should be lovely and as long as theres a lead car i guess we shouldnt be so bad. the pedestrians i could live with!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dochara

I feel I need to stand up for the Galway Bay Half Marathon here! I ran it last year and I thought it was a great success. The organizers have taken last years feedback on board and have lowered the price.

LOWERED the price??? What daft figure was it last year then?!

It's blatant extortion to demand €50 to enter a half-marathon - where is the money going? Will a full breakdown of accounts be sent to every entrant?

These guys are trying to turn the sport/hobby/pastime of road-running into a money-printing machine and they should not be supported. There are plenty of decent races on in County Galway with monies going to a combination of club funds and deserving charities - please consider running in those races instead.

The goody-bag on offer is no defence of the massive entry fee. Many entrants do not want a t-shirt or whatever else is in it. Traditionally goody-bags were a small token from the organisers to an athlete for travelling to their race - these guys are SELLING their goody-bag at a profit!

What's the role of Elvery's, the sponsors? I always thought that a sponsor contributed an amount of money to race-organisers to put towards prizes and to lowering the entry fee. I call on Elvery's to release a statement on their position. How much did they contribute and what is it being spent on?

If these private, money-making races are supported, it won't be long until the popular club road-race becomes extinct. Think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Have to agree with all the criticisms, especially of the lack of road closure on the narrow back roads marshalled by kids. Did it last year and ran in the middle of the road all the way with cars revving behind me. Stood my ground, screw them and their impatience.

However, I don't think it's the worst halfer out there. I enjoyed it last year, even with the smelly t-shirt from Elverys and expensive entry. Doing it again this year, mainly because I think there is scope for a good half marathon in Galway, plus it runs past where I live so I'm more than familiar with the roads.

The fact that there were two Galway marathons so close together beggars belief though. Can't see why both organisations couldn't have come together and put their 'experience' into creating a proper well organised and memorable race. Well, we all know the answer and reason. Pure greed by the organisers and companies involved knowing they could capitalise on the running craze and make a quick buck.

I also have to agree, the only hope I'd have for this year is that the Race Director has been involved in the running scene since the 70's, so even though the price/charity issue is still too much for me to take part, I would imagine that the organisation will be a lot better this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dochara

I feel I need to stand up for the Galway Bay Half Marathon here! I ran it last year and I thought it was a great success. The organizers have taken last years feedback on board and have lowered the price. I got an Ezine from them some time ago stating that for my early bird entry fee of 40 Euro I would receive the following:
    Race pack which includes:
      an Elverys Sports gym sack and water bottle
      €10 Asics runner voucher
      Maximuscle bar
      Powerade sports drink
      Under Armour Technical T-shirt
      Finishers Medal
      Après food and beverages
    . . . I think thats value for money!

Value for what money? Everything in the goody-bag is being sponsored by Elvery's and doesn't cost the organisers a cent. Therefore, the contents of the goody-bag can't be used in defence of the high entry-fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Not defending the organisers for a minute here, but I would like to point out that there were extenuating circumstances that contributed to the traffic and marshalling chaos last year.

There was a fatal road accident the night before last years race, the road in question was closed, but the Gardai then diverted traffic to the back roads and straight onto the route of the race.

The Gardai were directing people onto a network of unfamiliar back roads, but giving them no further direction once they got on those roads.
    It would have taken 10-15 mins to organise a workable one-way diversion system that avoided the race route completely.

It was a shambles to be honest, but impatient drivers and a lack of foresight from the Gardai as to what they were causing, made a bad situation even worse.

BTW - I was a neutral spectator and assisted the marshals at one point cos it got so bad.

I suspect it won't be as bad this time around, but as anyone in Galway will attest to, all it takes in this town is one bad road accident & subsequent road closure to bring the entire city to a standstill - last Tuesday being another prime example.

Its always good to have a race on your doorstep, still debating doing this one but this could be a really fast half mara ..if theres no wind/rain..if its like last Sat in Salthill then it will be very very tough running into the wind, if not damn near impossible!!
    Would be good if the organisers can put the race route management up before the race- ie do runners use the prom/road, will there be lead bikes, and a detailed route map - looks like a lot of doubling up on loops of southpark, how far out mutton island it goes, etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭topcat77

Last year this race was my first ½ marathon and I understand all the issues that have been voiced. I have now run 5 ½ marathons a full marathon and numerous running events since. The race last year wasn’t the best organised but it certainly wasn’t the worst I’ve run in (Galway City Marathon takes that title). I think the change of route will greatly help this event with half the numbers of marshals & water stops needed (Hope they provide bottles this year). Dropping the marathon category was the sensible choice after the small number last year. I’m a little worried with the concrete surface on the causeway to Mutton Island and the majority of the prom (This was hard on the legs last year and during the Galway city race). I’m defiantly doing the loughrea 10k as I find that this type of club organised race gives you fantastic value for money and the knowing the money is going back into the sport make it that bit better. I live in Galway and this race will always hold something special as being a breakthrough event, but saying that I’m leaving it till the last day Thur 30th. If the weather is looking good I’ll do it and have a new PB. Happy running Boardies!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Gunnersonny

Can the time from this race be used as a qualifying time for another race? I know NYC marathon allows half marathon times to be considered for their race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

This is a race to be avoided.

Last year, the entry fee was E70 for a 10K race.

The website logo last year stated: 'Galway Bay 10 in aid of Cancercare West, the west of Ireland Cancer charity.'

It wasn't. Not a cent of the E18,000 raised by 263 competitors was seen by Cancer Care.

Shocking behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Glad I gat a tip of this thread from running boards today, had been contemplating doing this but the fee caused me to rethink, thank God ! Cannot cope with weaving around runners at the best of times, now the prospect of buggies and pedestrians and a three hour drive and cough up 50 euro for the pleasure ( which I think still is outrageous !!!) sorry, will wait for Waterford.
    I understand Dublin gets the big numbers,but I did the 21st Omagh half this year, received the most beautuful (and treasured ) glass momento,tee shirt, FULL goodie bag, great day,think numbers were roughly 1600-2000, think the fee was in the region of 25, cannot recall exactly, but it most certainly was NOT over 30 euro. Galway, you are doing yourselves no favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Just finished this race today and have a couple of comments.

Got the race pack in Elvery's last night and was slightly disappointed that the t-shirts were the same as last year. Got a womans and gave it to herself, they were actually pretty nice though.

As for the race itself, I wasn't aware that the course was changed and was shocked to discover we'd have to race 3 laps around Salthill. While there were problems with road closures last year I think it was a chump out. I didn't pay good money to race around a track.

However, credit where credit's due. The race was good. Went off without a hitch and was well marshaled and well organised. The tent at the end was great, satisfactory goodybags and the free massages were awesome. Plus €40 which I paid is a fair fee.

All in all, I'm glad progress was made from last year and it has good scope to improve and become a regular race on the calendar, something Galway city definitely needs.

I still think any race of distance, especially halfers and full, should be one loop, and last years course was great. I run marathons to see the country, experience the scenery and get to know a new city or town, and for oversea visitors or those from other parts of the country, there's such a great opportunity to promote the surrounding areas rather than concentrate on the prom, where everyone's going to visit anyway.

7/10

• Advertisement
Advertisement