Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fired for no reason

• 30-07-2010 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

im going unreg for this, i am a working single mother of a two year old, and i work flexi-time in an office. (This means two full days a week). recently we all got new contracts stating we were all flexi staff. this works fine for me once i know in advance when im working.
    however i have been threatened with numerous warnings for not being flexiable. the new time sheet for next week was only put up yesterday. and i cant get child-minders at such short notice.
    is this legal?
    where can i find my rights as a working mother.
    please help :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

You were originally employed under different conditions and a different contract so in a word no they cannot really force you to do this, they must try and work out a way for you and them that would be agreeable. When a employer changes something such as this, they must provide reasonable notice and it does not sound like they are from what you say.
    If you were fired over this, Im pretty sure you would have a claim for unfair dismissal as I recently studied this in Employment Law. Also if you chose to leave because of this treatment you would have a claim for Constructive Dismissal. Obviously you should get legal advice if it gets to the point where you need to go down that road. Just speak to them and say that when you joined the company these were not the conditions you were employed under and although you are trying to be flexible with them they must also be flexible with you, if they don't agree with this then you will have to tell them that you will be seeking legal advice about how to deal with this. I don't like the sound of them giving you warnings about being inflexible, sounds like they might be making plans to get rid of you and think they are doing it the correct way by giving you warnings etc.

This link might be useful for you.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/unemployment-and-redundancy/dismissal/unfair_dismissal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Seek help in the Labour relations commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Or the Equality Authority www.equality.ie

Advertisement