Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH, 'Celebrities' and 'Abuse'

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That's quite simply not true, and it's the sort of misunderstanding that can get this site into trouble.

Of course the expression of an opinion can be defamatory.

I was probably being overly simplistic to make the point. But according to the Act, you can't defame someone for an opinion that is honestly held and based on proven facts.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

el tonto wrote: »
    I was probably being overly simplistic to make the point. But according to the Act, you can't defame someone for an opinion that is honestly held and based on proven facts.
    I'm open to correction, but that's a defence in a defamation action - remember, our goal here is not to get sued, rather than to be able to successfully defend an action for defamation.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm open to correction, but that's a defence in a defamation action - remember, our goal here is not to get sued, rather than to be able to successfully defend an action for defamation.

Absolutely. That's why I added in the caveat in my initial post about libel being an expensive business. It's one thing discussing legalities but the practicalities have to be considered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

A person can initiate an action for defamation on the flimsiest grounds, and some people with deep pockets do so frequently on the basis that the person or organisation they are taking on can't afford the risk of contesting the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I'm a little confused over this issue, where is the line drawn? :confused:

Both AH and R&R received warnings from the powers that be regarding "legal issues" around abusing celebs and yet a quick breeze through the Celebs & Showbiz forum shows that this is a common occurrence.

For example this thread regarding Wayne Rooney allegedly cheating on his wife with a hooker has a fair pew posts labelling his wife as a Pig, Money Grabbing Whore, Prostitute etc.

There is another thread about Megan Fox and more comments in there about her looking like a pig.

I'm not posting this to have a dig at that particular forum, just wondering why these sort of comments are allowed/acceptable in some forums and not others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

keefg wrote: »
    I'm a little confused over this issue, where is the line drawn? :confused:

Both AH and R&R received warnings from the powers that be regarding "legal issues" around abusing celebs and yet a quick breeze through the Celebs & Showbiz forum shows that this is a common occurrence.

For example this thread regarding Wayne Rooney allegedly cheating on his wife with a hooker has a fair pew posts labelling his wife as a Pig, Money Grabbing Whore, Prostitute etc.

There is another thread about Megan Fox and more comments in there about her looking like a pig.

I'm not posting this to have a dig at that particular forum, just wondering why these sort of comments are allowed/acceptable in some forums and not others?

I would hazard a guess (and this is purely my personal opinion) that After Hours is the most popular forum on the site, therefore gets more attention from both users, admins and the legal types.

Don't worry, I am sure if it becomes policy that the guidelines will be extended to all forums.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Remember, as per the Betfair ruling, we only HAVE to act on defamation after it has been brought to our attention.......

DeV.

Advertisement