Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation in Dublin HELP!

• 30-07-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

I need help, I live in Galway but next September my friend and I are both going to college in Dublin. Depending on my results I will be going to either Trinity or UCD and she will be going to UCD. We do not know Dublin at all, so we really need help as to which area to look for housing. We need a place that is between UCD and Trinity as we want to hopefully live in the same house(sharing with other people perhaps?)

Which areas have a good bus/luas line (or is close enough to cycle) to both UCD and Trinity? We couldn't afford student accomodation btw so we are not going to be able to afford high end places, looking for a reasonable place to rent.

Please help, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

if you want somewhere between UCD and TCD you are looking at the Dublin 4 region and that ain't cheap at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

I'd say like Rathmines or Ranelagh or something like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are many northside (and cheaper) areas that have access by bus to UCD morning and evening, so you don't need to rule the northside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

Well considering the fact Trinners is right in the city centre and thus easy to get to no matter where you are, focus on getting a place handy enough to UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

It's going to be pretty expensive either way =/. Anywhere near a bus route is expensive for that reason and places are going Really fast, so you'd seriously want to start looking. I got my place a few weeks ago and that's at 525 per Month. That area is really expensive so try get more people first so you can split the rent more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

unknown13 wrote: »
    if you want somewhere between UCD and TCD you are looking at the Dublin 4 region and that ain't cheap at all.

There's lots of reasonablyish priced student accomodation in D4....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Ranelagh is a lovely area, and would be convenient enough for both. You could get a Luas to town, and get the 11(/11B) to UCD (not the best bus but you get used to it). That, or you could definitely cycle. Just a tip - it's a renters' market atm, so don't get caught up spending ridiculous amounts and definitely don't take more than a 9 month lease (unless you want to keep a place for a few extra months!).

Doing a quick search on daft.ie showed a few places:

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=898133 <- A little under 400 euro a month each (780 in total), and you can get a 9 month lease which would be ideal. Looks nice enough too.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=929886 <- 85 euro a week each (170 a week in total), which is grand.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=919191 <- 375 a month each (750 a month in total). Basic looking, but it could be nice.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=927432 <- 400 a month each (800 in total). It looks pretty good.

I don't know what your budget is, but there's any amount of accommodation sites around the place, so you should find something decent. :) Oh, and if you've any questions about renting/different accommodation sites that are decent/etc, just send me a PM. I'm fairly used to house-hunting and negotiating with landlords at this point. :)

Edit:

Missed one!

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=917405 <- 725 monthly in total (doesn't look the best though, but I think that's because it's a bit messy).

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

Thank you so much everyone for all your replies and thanks especially to Aoibheann, your post was really helpful and you did a lot of research, thank you! The places you posted are all around the price range we were looking for so I'm going to text these people and I'm going to keep searching in all the areas everyone recommended, thank you!

One more question too, the price that they post on daft.ie for their property, is that negotiable or is that the least amount we'd have to pay? Could we try and bargain with them like?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

When I went looking at places it was pretty much what it said on daft. People generally won't change it. Also Try really hard to get the 9 month lease, I couldn't find one at all! And make sure it's Actually near a bus route - check on google maps, there's a great walking option on it which is pretty much spot on. Not on daft or an estate agent. They'll always say '10 minute walk' meaning anything from 15-30 mins and check out dublin bus as well to make sure the bus you want actually goes past!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Thank you so much everyone for all your replies and thanks especially to Aoibheann, your post was really helpful and you did a lot of research, thank you! The places you posted are all around the price range we were looking for so I'm going to text these people and I'm going to keep searching in all the areas everyone recommended, thank you!

One more question too, the price that they post on daft.ie for their property, is that negotiable or is that the least amount we'd have to pay? Could we try and bargain with them like?

It's no problem at all, glad to help. :)

There's no harm in bargaining in this market. Chances are, you'll have to pay most or all of the advertised price (but definitely not more), but I'd give it a shot if I were you. They can only say no after all!

• Advertisement
Advertisement